mobile

Packing Liquor Bottles for Excess Baggage/ Luggage

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).

Packing Liquor Bottles for Excess Baggage/ Luggage

Postby lettezilla » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:20 am

So that we don't bog down the rest of our international move with customs delays about our booze collection, we've decided to take a subset of the bottles over with us when we go flat hunting, as part of our luggage allowance for the flights. We're talking around 20 bottles.

Here's my current plan: Get a few new boxes in appropriate sizes. Bottles are sealed with duct tape to ensure lids don't come loose in transit. Each bottle is wrapped individually, bottles are put in the box with a "carpet" of padding, and bunched newsprint between bottles. Since I have it and it's otherwise going to be thrown away, I'll probably use a bit of the big saran-wrap plastic from a previous move around each bottle, just in case something breaks, so it doesn't leak and ruin the box.

I know there's advice about using newsprint rather than bubble wrap on this forum, would you packing experts say that newsprint would be the best in this situation, or should I spend $20 on enough bubble wrap to do the lot? Any other tips?

And, for anyone wondering, we have looked through the appropriate customs regulations, will be declaring the contents, and are planning on paying the relevant duty-- not trying to sneak this stuff in, just noticed that all the movers that did estimates weren't that keen to move them in the shipment, which makes sense to me. ANything to speed up the main move!
lettezilla

Re: Packing Liquor Bottles for Excess Baggage/ Luggage

Postby cnoblit » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 pm

Bubble wrap each bottle and seal them all in a 4+ mil heavy duty black garbage bag. Security will proabably evacuate the entire airport when they discover it. :D
Christopher Noblit
I'm a Professional Mover
cnoblit

Postby lettezilla » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:25 am

cnoblit wrote:Security will proabably evacuate the entire airport when they discover it. :D

Ha, I hope not! We did this for a shorter domestic flight, with more bottles actually, and it was OK, but I wasn't sure whether that was just beginners luck on the packing technique!

Good tip on the garbage bags, thanks.
lettezilla

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:03 pm

You need to research where you are going. Some countries will only allow 1 bottle to be brought into the country.

Italy is one country that has stringest regulations about bringing liquor into the country.
Passengers over 17 years of age from other countries, or from eu countries with goods bought duty-free
Tobacco............................................200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 50 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco
Liquor...............................................750ml of spirits (over 22% proof) or 2 litres of fortified or sparkling wine
Perfume............................................60 grams of perfume and 250 ml of eau de toilette
Other goods......................................500 grams of coffee or 200 grams of coffee extracts; 100 grams of tea or 40 grams of tea extracts
Note:................................................other there are no legal limits imposed on importing duty-paid tobacco and alcoholic product from one eu country to another, travellers must be questioned at customs if they exceed the above amounts and may be asked to prove that the good are for personal use only

The exception is if you are going from a European Union country into Italy and have paid duty the restriction is relaxed.

Other countries have different rules for importation from the US.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby lettezilla » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 am

BigLeeCalif wrote:You need to research where you are going. Some countries will only allow 1 bottle to be brought into the country.

Thanks for the reminder-- from what I understand, the only time alcohol isn't allowed is when it is illegal for religious or cultural reasons in that country. The limits you noted are what is allowed in duty free. However, if you declare what you bring in, and pay duty on it as required, you can typically bring much more in. That's something that I didn't know until maybe a year ago, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but for the majority of countries, those restrictions are what is allowed to be brought in duty free.

We're going to the UK, this is definitely the case there. If you just look at the basic info, there's a pretty small limit to what is duty free. However, if you look at their info for people moving into the country, you can bring as much as you want, as long as it is only for personal use and you pay appropriate duty on it.
lettezilla

Postby cnoblit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:33 am

:idea: Religious exemption? In that case my advice is to simply declare yourself the Llama-Mamma (or Pope-a-Poppa) of the Holy Roman bacchian Orgiastique Church and let the good times roll kiddo.
Christopher Noblit
I'm a Professional Mover
cnoblit

Return to Helpful Moving Information