mobile

Moving from Indiana, US to Croatia

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.

Moving from Indiana, US to Croatia

Postby JackArrgon » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:14 am

Hey everyone! Been finding the information on this site very helpful and have been happy to find a lot of people replying to posts in the forums. I've never shipped personal belongings over seas, so I wondering if you guys could help me out.

I'm moving from Anderson, Indiana, US to Zagreb, Croatia. Currently, I've been trying to research which companies to go with, and am getting information from Air 7 Seas (http://air7seas.com/). I got a quote from them, and asked for some more information. Their replies are in dark red. They also only go to Rijeka, but I could go pick up the shipment.

Could you let me know how the info they're giving looks? Is it reputable? If not, any other suggestions, perhaps? Thanks. Also, has anyone shipped with these guys before?

-

It was pleasure talking to you and thanks for your inquiry. Following are our rates for your consideration

LCL/Door to Port / Non- Haz /3.058 cbm

Ocean freight Chicago - Rijeka, Croatia $627 ($205 w/m)
Door pickup charges from Zip 46011 $227
AES/BL/Handling $150

Total charges will be approx. $1004

Please feel free to contact if you have any queries on this

Looking forward to serve you

Ann Kalyani, Ext: 475

Intl PH# 408-957-8787 Ext. 475, FAX# 408-957-7557
Toll Free (800)304-7447 x 475, (800)396-6659 FAX
Mailing Add : PO BOX 611117, SAN JOSE, CA 95161-1117
Physical Add: 1815 HOURET COURT, MILPITAS, CA 95035
http://www.air7seas.com

-

Ann Kalyani,

Thank you for the quote.

I have following questions before we move forward and I have you come to pick up the shipment:

Will you pickup all of the shipment at the address I will provide for you in Anderson, IN?

Yes, we will pick up the cargo from IN, if this residential pickup additional $35 will be applicable

Will the service include placing the shipment in a container or, will it be placed on a pallet and shrink-wrapped for the transport to Chicago and then to Rijeka, Croatia?

yes the service include placing shipment in a container where as it does not include the arrangements/ packing in pallet
if you want us to palletize the boxes, we will do with the charges of $65 per pallet with shrink-wrapped.

Once the shipment arrives to Rijeka, Croatia will it be transported to its final destination in Croatia or, will it be transported from Rijeka, Croatia to a customs cleared warehouse in Zagreb, Croatia for my pickup there?

shipment moved only upto Rijeka warehouse, you have to make arrangements to clear and take delivery of the cargo
we regret we don't have arrangements to move further to Zagreb

How can I find out about the cost of customs?

cost of customs at Croatia you need to check with any forwarding agent at Rijeka

Is your quote ($1004) all inclusive for: pickup at Anderson, transport to Chicago and, overseas transport to Croatia?

$1004 is inclusive of pickup at Anderson and overseas transport to Croatia. Please add Pallet charges and residential
charges if applicable

Is there an insurance for the shipment that I need to pay additional? If so, what should I expect to pay?
Insurance charges will be 2.5% on the Invoice value

Hope the above is clear, please call if you have any further queries
JackArrgon

Re: Moving from Indiana, US to Croatia

Postby INTL-GUY » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:43 pm

JackArrgon,

Air7Seas is a licensed forwarder that has been in business for a while but, they only recently started handling HHG & PE (household goods & personal effects). Being a commercial forwarder and jumping into the HHG market is a huge transition that requires a lot of detail and knowledge. The majority of licensed NVOCC’s do not handle HHG strictly because of the liability.

I assume they didn’t come out to your residence to view what you’re actually shipping, correct? It is recommended that you have a visual survey to insure the volume is accurate. If your only shipping a few boxes then it may not be necessary. This rate is very vague and 1 thing that stuck out is that Ann from Air7Seas didn’t tell you about the very high port and THC charges you will be paying in Rijeka, Croatia. As your forwarder they should be able to provide you with the cost for customs as well as port and terminal handling charges at destination. It would require them to send a simple email to their agent or consolidator to confirm the charges at destination.

Insurance: Did they explain that you will only be covered for total loss insurance? When a shipper self packs they give up all rights to full coverage marine insurance. If something gets damaged you will not be compensated.

Pallets: Please be advised that your gross volume will increase by at least 10-15% due to palletizing

Before you decide to sign a contract I would suggest getting 3 more quotes. You can contact the suggested forwards on this site or you can research your own companies. Either way please come back and let us know.
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
-Socrates
INTL-GUY

Postby JackArrgon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Thanks for the excellent advice! Will definitely keep all that in mind. I'm still working on getting Air7Seas to come and have a look at my things, and also gathering quotes from other companies, but I was wondering if you could answer a more general question.

I've been noticing that a lot of shipping companies (including Air7Seas) seem to have options for shipping by air as well. What's the general difference in cost between the two (air and sea)?

To me, it seems like shipping by air would be a lot more, but if it's only a bit more, I would be willing to go with that. It seems a lot less complicated, and I have a feeling like my things would be safer.
JackArrgon

Postby INTL-GUY » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:12 pm

The simple answer is yes, air is typically more expensive. If you're planiing on shipping a couple of boxes then air would be a great option for you. Please keep in mind that air is based on the weight/volume, whichever is greater.
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
-Socrates
INTL-GUY

Postby chrisatlas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:41 pm

keep in mind this quote below is door to port.
JackArrgon wrote:Hey everyone! Been finding the information on this site very helpful and have been happy to find a lot of people replying to posts in the forums. I've never shipped personal belongings over seas, so I wondering if you guys could help me out.

I'm moving from Anderson, Indiana, US to Zagreb, Croatia. Currently, I've been trying to research which companies to go with, and am getting information from Air 7 Seas (http://air7seas.com/). I got a quote from them, and asked for some more information. Their replies are in dark red. They also only go to Rijeka, but I could go pick up the shipment.

Could you let me know how the info they're giving looks? Is it reputable? If not, any other suggestions, perhaps? Thanks. Also, has anyone shipped with these guys before?

-

It was pleasure talking to you and thanks for your inquiry. Following are our rates for your consideration

LCL/Door to Port / Non- Haz /3.058 cbm

Ocean freight Chicago - Rijeka, Croatia $627 ($205 w/m)
Door pickup charges from Zip 46011 $227
AES/BL/Handling $150

Total charges will be approx. $1004

Please feel free to contact if you have any queries on this

Looking forward to serve you

Ann Kalyani, Ext: 475

Intl PH# 408-957-8787 Ext. 475, FAX# 408-957-7557
Toll Free (800)304-7447 x 475, (800)396-6659 FAX
Mailing Add : PO BOX 611117, SAN JOSE, CA 95161-1117
Physical Add: 1815 HOURET COURT, MILPITAS, CA 95035
http://www.air7seas.com

-

Ann Kalyani,

Thank you for the quote.

I have following questions before we move forward and I have you come to pick up the shipment:

Will you pickup all of the shipment at the address I will provide for you in Anderson, IN?

Yes, we will pick up the cargo from IN, if this residential pickup additional $35 will be applicable

Will the service include placing the shipment in a container or, will it be placed on a pallet and shrink-wrapped for the transport to Chicago and then to Rijeka, Croatia?

yes the service include placing shipment in a container where as it does not include the arrangements/ packing in pallet
if you want us to palletize the boxes, we will do with the charges of $65 per pallet with shrink-wrapped.

Once the shipment arrives to Rijeka, Croatia will it be transported to its final destination in Croatia or, will it be transported from Rijeka, Croatia to a customs cleared warehouse in Zagreb, Croatia for my pickup there?

shipment moved only upto Rijeka warehouse, you have to make arrangements to clear and take delivery of the cargo
we regret we don't have arrangements to move further to Zagreb

How can I find out about the cost of customs?

cost of customs at Croatia you need to check with any forwarding agent at Rijeka

Is your quote ($1004) all inclusive for: pickup at Anderson, transport to Chicago and, overseas transport to Croatia?

$1004 is inclusive of pickup at Anderson and overseas transport to Croatia. Please add Pallet charges and residential
charges if applicable

Is there an insurance for the shipment that I need to pay additional? If so, what should I expect to pay?
Insurance charges will be 2.5% on the Invoice value

Hope the above is clear, please call if you have any further queries
chrisatlas

Postby Noone » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:35 pm

This quote is no good for the following reasons:

1 - It does not show what the port fees or THC charges will be. Air7Seas can get thios by checking with the consolidator they are using, or if they are doing the consolidation, by checking with the deconsolidator in Croatia (or whichever European port it is entering - possibly Atwerpe)

2 - You want customs clearing service. Usualy charges are from $80-$250, and you can bet that you'll pay more than a freight forwarder ordering destination service.

3 - You'll want to add closer to 20-25% for pallletizing such a small shipment. This is one of the biggest concerns we hear on this site from one time shippers (like you) who don't understand how palletizing works, and don't pack accordingly. There is a good chance this will need 3-4 pallet boxes, so also add in that charge (3-4 x $65).

4 - You are looking at a 2 hour drive from Rijeka to Zagreb. Unless you have a friend with a big truck, you need delivery service.

The bottom line is that $1004 is under HALF of the bottom line. So if your budget is really $1000, don't ship anything. Take a few extra bags on the sirplane, and start new (or second hand) when you get there.

If you really need these goods, get a door to door quote based on a visual survey, including port fees, and customs clearance charges.
Noone

Postby JackArrgon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:52 am

Thanks. Will definitely keep that in mind. Yeah, Air7Seas isn't looking that great.

I was wondering if you guys could answer this for me. Because my stuff is in Indiana, and let's say I'm checking out a company that's located in New York or another state, could they get someone else to do a visual survey? I'm sure they wouldn't come all the way to IN just to do a quote.
JackArrgon

Postby Noone » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:04 pm

Many freight forwarders have local agents all over. So if the one you are looking at can't send someone to survey, don't use them.

You don't want someone who has "a truck in your area". You want someone who uses a local company, and then the goods get trucked to where they will consolidate into the container.
Noone

Postby JackArrgon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:04 am

Hey guys, been working lately on getting my things shipped and have so far gotten one visual survey from the guys at Atlantic Relocation Systems and for all my stuff (38 items for a total of around 1.3 Cubic Meters), from Indianapolis, IN to Zagreb, Croatia the Total Est. was $3,750. Way too expensive for me. However, they did come across as a very reputable company and the agent seemed to have a lot of experience. I'd post the pdf of the quote, but I'm not sure if that's ok in terms of legality.

On another note, I've sent all my detailed measurements to A. Arnold (http://www.aarnoldmovingcompany.com/international-movers.aspx) and they have returned a very detailed quote also from Indianapolis, IN to Zagreb, Croatia for a $1,280 Flat Rate, plus $450 for origin services (Packing, Wrapping, Inventory Listing, to name a few). Again, I'd like to post the pdf of the detailed quote, but I'm not sure how that fairs legally. If you guys could let me know, that'd be great. I'd love to see what your thoughts are.

But overall, very detailed. They even sent me 6 pages worth of customs details for Croatia.
JackArrgon

Postby Noone » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Why don't you post the included and not included sections? This is what we need to tell you if there are any concerns.
Noone

Postby JackArrgon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:18 pm

INCLUSIONS (checked items are included in the rate above):
Packing
Wrapping
Inventory Listing
Inland Freight
Export Documentation
Ocean Freight
Normal Customs Out
Normal Customs In
Destination Port Charge
Normal Residential Delivery
(up to 2nd floor)
Unwrap/Unpack to Flat Surface
Debris Removal (delivery day only)
Special Crating
EXCLUSIONS (checked items are excluded from the rate above):
Duties and Taxes
Demurage, Storage, Detention
Customs Examination
Destination Port Handling Charges
Unusual or Difficult Delivery
Uncrating
JackArrgon

Postby Noone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:41 am

JackArrgon wrote:INCLUSIONS (checked items are included in the rate above):
Packing
Wrapping
Inventory Listing
Inland Freight
Export Documentation
Ocean Freight
Normal Customs Out
Normal Customs In
Destination Port Charge
Normal Residential Delivery
(up to 2nd floor)
Unwrap/Unpack to Flat Surface
Debris Removal (delivery day only)
Special Crating
EXCLUSIONS (checked items are excluded from the rate above):
Duties and Taxes
Demurage, Storage, Detention
Customs Examination
Destination Port Handling ChargesUnusual or Difficult Delivery
Uncrating

1 - They aren't including destination port handling charges. Find out, in writing, what these will be.

2 - Make sure you check with the Croatian consulate to find out what the method is for getting your goods duty-free (if possible) and find out which documents you will need in Croatia to do so. The shipping companies giving the quotes should be able to get this from the Croatian agents.

3 - Let us know who the folks in Croatia are - we might have feedback on them also.
Noone

Postby JackArrgon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:01 am

Ok. Will do that as soon as I get in contact with them again. Thanks.
JackArrgon

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:12 pm

I can say that A Arnold is a very reputable company.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby JackArrgon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Hey guys. Just wanted to give an update on what's going, and to hear your thoughts on the situation.

So I finally managed to get someone from A. Arnold to do a visual estimate on my things in Indiana. John Spicklemeir came to my old house where he met my U.S. contact. A few days later, on Oct. 19, he gave me an estimate of $2,670.00 for his projection of the weight being 700 lbs, and the size being 113 cubic feet.

The price was more or less what I expected (a little more actually), but it's within my budget. So I agreed, and around late December they came and got my shipment to take to their warehouse. I got an email with a revised quote with the actual measurements. This time it was a major difference in weight and size:

1 container: L85" x W47" x H87"
Gross weight: 1992lbs
Tare weight: 230lbs
Net weight: 1762

The proposal is now at $3,850.00 Flat Rate. I simply can't believe the underestimate made by the A. Arnold rep. I can understand a 200 or 300 Dollar difference, but a proposal that's over $1,000 from the original estimate? It's mind-numbing. Currently I've been trying to work it out with them, but they've been dodging my emails, or replying very late. I've always read (on this site, and other places) that the size of the shipment matters, and not the weight. Since when is weight such a high factor in determining the price?

I'm also disappointed in them not dropping the price so far. They've recommended purging items, but John (the rep) should've taken every precaution to estimate the shipment properly. He even said that the quote might be less, when weighed.

Anyway, that's what's been going right now. Thought I'd share.

Thanks.
JackArrgon

Next

Return to International Moves