mobile

Griffin (Allied) vs Cousins (Stevens) vs Suddath - Which one to choose ?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Re: Griffin (Allied) vs Cousins (Stevens) vs Suddath - Which one to choose

Postby Noone » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I have a question.

When you send 2 men, who watches the truck to make sure nothing gets stolen?

We never send 2 man crews, specifically for that reason.
Noone

Postby Griffin Allied » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Let me see if I can shed a little light on this. My name is Ryan Griffin from Griffin Moving and Storage. We have been an Allied van lines agent for over 25 years. In fact, we have been in the business since 1929 when my grandfather started Griffin Moving In NYC.

As to the question of the thread our hourly rate for a two man crew is 85.00 per hour with a 1 hour travel time and 5%percent for fuel surcharge. While we are not as large as Suddath you will find by doing your own research that our service and reputation is flawless, something we are extremely proud of.--Ryan :mrgreen:
Moving families since 1929
Griffin Allied

Postby Griffin Allied » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Noone wrote:I have a question.

When you send 2 men, who watches the truck to make sure nothing gets stolen?

We never send 2 man crews, specifically for that reason.

Good question, if we deal with an elevator or stairs we will usually send 3 men however on a small local there is usually no need for a third crew member. I dont know where you operate but we dont have a problem with things "Falling off the truck"
Moving families since 1929
Griffin Allied

Postby Movinghelper » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:14 pm

I have to agree, we have no problem here with things falling off the truck. If one of the neighborhoods are bad I will shorten the time it takes and put 3 men on the job. This is sufficient to handle what might be an issue.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Re: Griffin (Allied) vs Cousins (Stevens) vs Suddath - UPDATE with review

Postby Karrie619 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Hello everybody

Thanks once again with all the intelligent points made. I finally decided to go with Suddath.
I moved on 12/17/'11. The day before, there was a call from them to confirm the appointment. On 12/17, three movers came to our place in a Cummings truck at 9.00 am. I quickly walked one of them through the house to tell me what needed to be moved. I suppose it is easier that way for them than to actually go through the list.
So far, so good. Now here is the unexpected bit - I had two large pre-packed tables at our place that I forgot to mention in the quote earlier. Additionally, since we were moving from a 1/1 apartment, we thought didn't have too much stuff to pack in boxes - WRONG! So bottom line, we had about 20-25 boxes that needed movement in addition to those pre-packed tables I mentioned above.
Those three movers gladly moved those boxes and tables at no extra cost!!! THATS RIGHT!! They were super understanding and basically said that since the truck was basically empty after they had packed it with the stuff required to be moved, they might as well move in those boxes at no extra cost!! To illustrate how way off I was, I needed to rent a UHaul van and make two trips to haul the remaining stuff (stuff I hadn't packed into boxes when the movers had arrived).

At the destination, they unpacked and placed everything where I needed them. One of them even offered to place the wall art on the wall but since I didn't have any screws then, I had to gratefully decline. No damage and zero hassles at any point. The entire move was so much more easier despite my initial underestimation of the things I needed to move simply because they decided to do a good deed - or rather 20 odd good deeds!
My wife and I were able to breathe a HUGE sigh of relief thanks to them. The entire move took about 2.5hrs so they were probably erring on the cautious side during the estimate when they estimated 4 hrs - not complaining, just saying.

To show my gratitude, I gladly bought them lunch in addition to giving them a $30 tip. I know its not much but it was the best I could do at the point as I didn't have any more bills in my wallet. I would have gladly given them another $30 if I could have.

The only reason I do not mention the movers names out here to recommend them is because I do not wish them to be reprimanded by anyone at Suddath for not charging for the additional poundage moved. Else I would gladly do so.

Overall, I would gladly recommend Suddath to anyone for their move in Florida. All the horror stories on this forum about moving scams had me worried before the move, but it was all for naught with Suddath being the movers! Awesome job!!

~Phil
Karrie619

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Suddath would not have minded one bit if you sent a letter showing your appreciation for the crew and service.

We call them Attaboy letters, and unfortunately not many people take the time anymore to send them out.... unless it's the opposite when there is a problem.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby Karrie619 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:14 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Suddath would not have minded one bit if you sent a letter showing your appreciation for the crew and service.

We call them Attaboy letters, and unfortunately not many people take the time anymore to send them out.... unless it's the opposite when there is a problem.

Thanks BigLeeCalif, I will definitely do that. There was also a post move call from their front desk to make sure that everything went alright. Unfortunately, I couldn't answer it as I was in a meeting but I will call back and let them know.

Once again, thank you everybody on this site who made my move the most hassle free experience I could have possibly imagined.

~Karrie
Karrie619

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Thanks Karrie. Nice to hear that your move went well.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Previous

Return to Open Community