Undecided Between Pods or United Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
NashvilleLife

Undecided Between Pods or United Mayflower

Postby NashvilleLife » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:03 pm

I have a move coming up (Florida to Tennessee) and have been doing research on the 16ft containers offered by PODS and United Mayflower.
I have read some nightmare cases on the web regarding both companies. I feel somewhat gun shy to pull the trigger and order one of these containers. Seems like both companies have a 7500lb weight limit. Not sure what that means if you go over by 500 lbs? It also seems they are not not very reliable in keeping to the scheduled delivery date. I keep going back and forth from a full service mover and the container service. I was quoted $3300 for two 16ft. United-Mayflower containers-as long as they pick both up within 30 days.It seems like the containers can save you significant money compared to hiring a full service mover. Anyone have some thoughts or personal experience they can share. Thanks!

MusicMom

Re: Undecided Between Pods or United Mayflower

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Have you also asked for a quote for full-service for comparison? You may he surprised that you could afford to have someone else do all the work.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:39 pm

I am curious as to why you are posting from Costa Mesa, CA [hotbed of scam movers] and you claim to be moving from Florida to Tennessee..

For your information, Unigroup [which owns Mayflower and United Van Lines] actually has a partnership with PODS for cross providing labor in markets where one or the other does not have service in place.

You are not supposed to put more than 7500 lbs in one container, although I have seen them weigh as much as 10,000 lbs, but for local storage. Anything in that range will bow the metal sides of a Unigroup container.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

NashvilleLife

Postby NashvilleLife » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:44 pm

I fixed my location. Thanks for pointing that out. I did do a few online quotes and they came back between 8 to 9 thousand for my 4 bedroom home. I don't mind doing the packing and loading. I just keep thinking I have no way to determine total weight when the containers are being loaded.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:41 am

so if you are considering United Container service why don't you get quotes for that, and the full service move. You might be surprised.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

NashvilleLife

Postby NashvilleLife » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:39 pm

I will certainly do that. I guess I have been reading too many horror stories on the web. I just like that fact that I can pack my own stuff in the containers. I have a full month to start and finish the move - no hard schedule to adhere to.

mjcranmore

Postby mjcranmore » Fri May 25, 2012 9:10 am

Hey Nashville Life....since I have moved 21 times in my adult life, I have kinda done ever iteration of moving. From the self-haul to the full service. I once heard a mover say that most people have about 1200 lbs. per room on average. They also go by cubic feet at 6.5 to 7lbs per cubic foot. It's a guestimate, but it may help to think of your "stuff" more in terms of weight. The Pod thing is probably only good for students or even those looking to sell their homes and they need to move out 30% of their stuff (to de-clutter). The pod thingys take about 1200 lbs. per unit.

just some thoughts for you....
@MJTVGirl

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri May 25, 2012 11:08 pm

The PODS you are speaking of that hold 1200 lbs are 8 ft containers. And they should hold more than that. A full 16 ft container can easily hold 7000 lbs.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat May 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Saw a pods on fire yesterday, in Atlanta on 285 North at Ga 400....the middle unit of 3 on the flatbed trailer was smoking, and had a hole in the side knocked into it, I guess for the firemen to get water into it. The front and rear containers were not involved, so it didn't look like a tire/brake fire...perhaps the loader/customer had flammables inside or even a blanket pad had a cigarette in it that smoldered a while. We cruised by kinda fast, couldn't see much, cept the flatbed, the firetruck and the pod with smoke pouring out....wonder who's fault? PODS cause it was in their care, or the customer that might have included flammables?

moveman

Postby moveman » Tue May 29, 2012 12:02 pm

The United/Mayflower containe holds about 7500lb, if it goes over or under it doesn't make any difference unless you have requested labor. By the way, PODS parent company, a bank, recently filed for bankruptcy. Doesn't meen PODS is going out of business but may have a minor effect, who knows....
Moveman
an honest mover

Movinghelper

Postby Movinghelper » Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 am

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-0 ... awyer-says

Arcapita, formerly known as First Islamic Investment Bank, filed for Chapter 11 March 19 along with five affiliates, listing assets of $3.06 billion and liabilities of $2.55 billion. Arcapita Investment Holdings Ltd., already in U.S. bankruptcy, has also filed a bankruptcy in the Cayman Islands in aid of the Chapter 11 proceeding.

The two filings were made to avoid “an involuntary and value-destructive straight liquidation proceeding in the Cayman Islands,” Arcapita said in court papers.

The company’s investments, which have included U.S. brand names such as Caribou Coffee and Church’s Chicken, now include Irish power utility Viridian Group Ltd. (VRD), and U.S.-based Falcon Gas Storage Co. Other assets include interests in PODS, a portable moving and storage company founded in Florida, and Tensar International Corp., a provider of soil technologies based in Atlanta, Arcapita said in court papers.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.

Return to “Open Community”