mobile

First call movers/ ventures anyone heard of them?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

First call movers/ ventures anyone heard of them?

Postby Jmiklas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Has anyone had any experience with first call movers? We are moving in 2 weeks and my husband gave them a deposit and now I am stressed about all the horror stories I am seeing. Help![/quote]
Jmiklas

Re: First call movers/ ventures anyone heard of them?

Postby Big Dog » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:05 pm

What did you find out when you did your research before giving them a deposit? 8)
Big Dog
" If you think hiring a professional mover is expensive, try hiring an amateur"
Big Dog

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi Jmiklas,
I'd follow through with what Big Dog says and make sure you do your research, even if you've already given them a deposit. The best place to start is this guide:

http://www.movingscam.com/findmover.shtml

which will step you through the process. If you have any questions while you're doing this, be sure to ask.
Jeff.Walker

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:44 pm

VERY IMPORTANT: Did First Call Movers indicate to you that they were only a broker, and not an actual moving company? This is REQUIRED BY LAW. They have a DOT number, but if you know how to look at the license reports, you'll see they have no trucks, and are clearly marked by the DOT as a broker only. Their website states in several places that they are residential movers, "our trucks", etc. This crosses the line. THeir household goods broker's license was only granted 10 days ago, so I hope you paid your deposit after June 8th or they booked your shipment illegally.

It is my opinion that brokers are a useless part of the moving industry. You do not need a company to take a cut of your payment just to find a mover for you. You can do that yourself. I think you should spend tomorrow trying to find another mover who might be able to give you a quick estimate, even though we're now in the absolute busiest season.

I'm looking into them further, to see if this is a new name for an old company.

*edit* The following was taken from their auto shipping section:
First Call Movers is a household goods broker, not the company that transports the individual shipper’s household goods. We arrange for the transportation of household goods by a household goods motor carrier authorized by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, whose charges will be determined by its published tariff. Estimates are based on the carrier’s tariff and the carrier is required to make its tariff available for public inspection upon a reasonable request.

A deposit is required at the time shipment is arranged. You may cancel the shipment and receive a refund of your deposit by submitting a request in writing to First Call Movers, via fax: (754) 223-3827. Deposits are non-refundable for cancellations of moves within seven (7) days of the shipment date. No cancellation and refund shall take place unless First Call Movers confirms the cancellation request. All refunds shall be processed back to your account used for payment.
Last edited by MusicMom on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 pm

So Thomas S. White, real name Limor S. White, owns a number of websites starting with "First Call" and operated from his large residence, but I see no indication he has ANY experience in the moving industry. My guess is that he's fronting for a friend whose name we know. I'll find them.
MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Told you I'd find them. Trust me as someone who got scammed by this guy, you do NOT want to put your things into the hands of anyone they hire.

By googling both the fax number listed above in my edit, and the phone number listed on their DOT report, I found a few help wanted ads:
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ofc/3038287634.html
Full-Time Receptionist / Front Desk Admin - HIRING NOW! (954-606-9444)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2012-05-25, 6:50PM EDT
Reply to: fcv.employment@gmail.com [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**IMPORTANT: If responding by Email, please include "Receptionist" in the subject line**

Are you a experienced, polished, administrative professional looking for a positive, rewarding, and challenging new opportunity?

Want to work at a place where your skills are appreciated and rewarded?

Our company provides NATIONWIDE moving and relocation services, as well as auto transport services, to individuals, families, and businesses. We're expanding rapidly! We recently opened a beautiful brand new state of the art sales office in Ft. Lauderdale and we're GROWING rapidly, with lots of room for promotion and advancement! The office environment is high energy and friendly! We take care of business and have fun doing it! Call us today.

ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for experienced Front Desk Receptionist, with polished skills and appearance, and ability to work under pressure. This is a new office location, and we are growing rapidly. We promote from within and the candidate will likely be considered for a greater role and responsibility in the future.

- Must be able to work both independently, as well as being a team player as needed.
- Must sound great on the phone, be well spoken, and capable of managing several incoming calls simultaneously
- Must greet patients and visitors in a prompt, courteous, and helpful manner
- Must have great organizational and time management skills

We promote from within. Hottest new opportunity in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area--we will double in size in the upcoming year! Come be part of our success!

WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Must have experience operating a multi-line phone system, taking messages, and directing calls
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Excel a must
- Must be bilingual and be able to communicate in both English and Spanish effectively
- Must be well spoken and capable of managing several incoming calls simultaneously
- Growth opportunities within company! We promote from within.
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) is REQUIRED
- Ability to work in a high energy, upbeat, work environment
- Great people skills required
- Excellent communication and ability multi-task

We have a beautiful large new office centrally located off of Cypress Creek, within easy access of i-95, the Turnpike, 441, and the Sawgrass!

Position is available IMMEDIATELY! For those who are qualified: Call us, email us, or fax us your resume.

Phone: 954-606-9444 (ask to speak with Randy G. or Simon I.)
Fax: 754-223-3827
Email: fcv.employment@gmail.com (we have to use web email for job ads to eliminate SPAM)

**IMPORTANT: If responding by Email, please include "Receptionist" in the subject line**

• Compensation: FCV LLC
•Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
•Please, no phone calls about this job!
•Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
PostingID: 3038287634

http://dreamcareer.us/2012-career/job-v ... -606-9444/
Job vacancy : Hiring FT Experienced Moving/Auto Relocation Dispatcher – Start NOW! (954-606-9444)
Tuesday, May 1, 2012
Office Administrative & Human Resource

We are a major national moving and auto transport company and we have an opportunity for a motivated, energetic, self-starter. Our main offices are located here in Ft. Lauderdale, and we pride ourselves in providing a clean, professional, and rewarding place to work for our employees. Will we easily double in size in the next 12 months–come join a winning team and a stable future!

POSITION: Operations / Dispatch Manager

RESPONSIBILITIES: Setting up and coordinating our customers with residential and commercial movers nationwide.

Experience as a dispatcher in the household moving a MUST (REQUIRED) We offer Top Pay to the right candidate!

The applicant:
• Must be very organized and have very proficient computer skills
• Must be able to coordinate moves with carriers
• Dispatch available moves to interested carriers
• Auto Transport Dispatcher experience is an added PLUS
• Assist with reaching department goal of dispatched moves per day
• Must have excellent communication skills
• Must be comfortable with dealing with customers
• Must be able to multi-task
• Must have a positive attitude.
• Bilingual is a plus
• Experience in over the phone customer service a plus
• Knowledge of Central Dispatch and other moving industry software a HUGE plus!

We have a beautiful large new office centrally located off of Cypress Creek, within easy access of i-95, the Turnpike, 441, and the Sawgrass! The office environment has a very high energy and friendly. We are growing rapidly, with room for promotion and advancement.

Position available IMMEDIATELY! If you are interested, and feel that you meet these qualifications, please feel free to call us, or email or fax us your resume.

Phone: 954-606-9444 (ask to speak with Randy G. or Simon I.)
Fax: 754-223-3827
Email: fcv.employment@gmail.com (we have to use web email for job ads to eliminate SPAM)
Compensation: Base + Commission
Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Apply for this position via email : fcv.employment@gmail.com

So, Randy Goldberg is back at it. He must be bored waiting for the federal trial to finally start.
MusicMom

Postby need_good_movers » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:07 pm

I have a move booked with this same company and they took my deposit before June 8th. How do I get more information about them? Did they actually scam you out of money without performing the move or what is the exact situation? Have they actually performed moves or do they steal your money and never move your stuff? Please HELP!!!! ASAP!!!!
need_good_movers

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 am

They took your deposit before June 8th, which is the day they received their broker's license? I'd say try to find another mover now, sice there's no way you should give your things to a company hired by a company operating illegally. Ask for your deposit back because you've since found out they weren't authorized to yet solicit or conduct business when you paid them, do it in a certified letter, and copy rhe Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.

Even if you lose the deposit and have to push your move back, it's preferrable to losing your entire shipment or being held hostage for more money than First Call promised it would cost.

Yes, Randy Goldberg's company National Moving Network scammed me in 2003. If you follow the link, you'll see he's awaiting federal trial for his actions.
MusicMom

Postby Scoto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Scoto

Postby THENNARASU » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 am

1) Got an binding estimate on 02/18/13 to move my 610 sq. ft apartment and dodge caravan from Philadelphia to Memphis. Apartment was quoted for $995 and caravan for $700. Scheduled pickup date was 02/28 for both apt and car.
2) Provided credit card details on 02/18/13 and $395 was charged for apartment move and $200 for car move.
3) Requested to change the pickup date from 02/28/13 to 02/27/13.
4) on 02/20/13 send a cancellation request for the move but received that my cancellation request is within 7 days and i will not receive my deposit back. so i request not to consider the cancellation request.
5) on 02/27/13 my apartment was pickup by them and once it is loaded into the truck - i was told that the items were more and i should pay $1370 but honestly i got the quote for every item i had in the apt.
6) My car was never pickup.
7) On 03/03/13 called them and i was told that they were still working on to find a carrier. I asked them if i can get my money back. They said I will within 72 hours. I have recorded the phone conversation as well.
8) Never got the money back - contacted credit card company and made a dispute.
9) Reported a formal complaint with federal motor safety carrier administration and with state of florida moving compliants.
10) First call movers said they are not paying my deposit for the car because i send a cancellation request. Where as my apartment was moved.

I suggestion to any one looking for long distance move is to use pack rat or upack.com - i wish i read this forum before i provided my credit card information. My suggestion to any one here - call your bank and get a new card just to have a peace of mind.
THENNARASU

Postby JAHaddow » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Dear THENNARASU. The best option in not simply to use PackRat or other similar companies. The first and foremost thing, as said by Moving Helper many times is: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER PAY A DEPOSIT TO DO A MOVE. THIS IS THE FIRST SIGN OF A BROKER. The real issue is that so many naïve customers simply believe that they can get their things moved for next to nothing. People do not see the value of having a trained crew with a real truck is worth the cost of moving everything they own. The feel that it is something they can do themselves with some friends and why should they pay the cost of a "REAL MOVER."

There are good quality movers out there. There are even some small companies that are good. The key is finding the right one that will provide their trucks and crew and not simply broker out the job to any scam mover who will take the shipment. These brokers know full well what is going on.

It is a buyer beware thing out their and as long as the consumer wants to pay nothing for a move, the brokers will continue their cheating ways and continue to scam their customers.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"
JAHaddow

Return to Open Community