Long Distance Movers (Trico?)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
palisantranche

Long Distance Movers (Trico?)

Postby palisantranche » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:27 pm

Is anyone familiar with a company called Long Distance Movers? longdistanceusamovers.com. They get a bunch of 5 star yelp reviews in many cities and quoted a fair price, but I can't find much info about them. Their DOT is 2552260. The yelp reviews appear to be phony. I'm just trying to determine if this a reputable company.

Thanks!

Jeff.Walker

Re: Long Distance Movers (Trico?)

Postby Jeff.Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:58 am

This company has an extensive history of complaints with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. You can view these complaints here:

https://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/hhg/SearchDeta ... t%3DSearch

The BBB doesn't seem to have much on them, but they go by several names, according to the FMCSA Database.

I can't tell you whether or not to go with them, but study the data and make up your mind. I would definitely recommend getting 3 In-Home estimates by three different companies so you have quotes to compare. Don't let anyone trick you into giving them a phone inventory because they don't "have time". If they don't have time to come to your house, there will be someone who will. Getting an in-home estimate protects you against the mover coming back on moving day telling you that you "have more stuff than you told us" and increasing the price while your stuff is on their truck. In addition I'd recommend the following articles:

"How to Find a Reputable Moving Company"
"Watch out for Red Flags when Moving"
"I’m Covered for Damage, Right?"
"Why do I need an In-Home Estimate?"

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:41 pm

First and most important RED FLAG is that on the USDOT Safersys.org website shows the USDOT number provided on their website 2542942 as inactive. That alone would keep me from using this company.

The one you gave us shows on their authority history that they have had it revoked several times and then reinstated. They also have broker authority which has been revoked and reinstated. I don't know the reasons for this. I would be wary.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

mover484

Postby mover484 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:19 am

Did someone hire this company over the last year? Is this a rogue moving company?
Now it says US DOT 2842396 MC – 952178 on the website but it gets stellar reviews on yelp.
The quote they sent from on the phone-estimate was inline with other estimates.
Any pointers on how to read the fmcsa report would be welcome.

Jeff.Walker

Postby Jeff.Walker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Mover484,
This is indeed Trico (as mentioned in the posts below). I would make sure that any company you're looking into is willing to perform an Get Three In-Home Estimates. Make sure you get 3 companies to provide you with one. In-home estimates are so important in getting an accurate quote, and is the first layer of protection against finding a fraudulent moving company. If they see your things, they are responsible for the quote, and what goes on it. It prevents them from coming back later if you do a self-inventory and saying “You have more stuff than you said, we’re going to have to charge you more”. You can find more moving companies in our Super List, or you can check out our endorse movers list on the left of every page on the site. Endorsed movers have already been vetted so we feel comfortable in referring you to them. They may not give you a perfect move, but they will do the best they can to insure you have a good one.

Make sure your quote is in pounds, NOT cubic feet. Quotes given in cubic feet allow the mover to “soft pack” your items, meaning they could potentially only put one or two items in a box, thereby taking up more room (cubic feet) on the truck. Weight doesn’t lie, and you have the right to be present at the weighing before and after loading and unloading to make sure the weight is what they say it is. This is your second layer of consumer protection, use it.

Make sure you get “Full Valuation Protection”. 25% of all moves have some form of damage. Full valuation protection protects your items from loss or damage whereby the mover will either repair or replace the item in question.

Watch out for Red Flags listed in our article (follow link).

Avoid brokers if possible. They are an unnecessary step and will cost more. In addition, if you do use a broker, and something goes wrong, often times the broker will blame the mover, and the mover will blame the broker, and the problem will not get solved.

Come back and let us know how your move goes. No matter who you use, your experience will be beneficial to others who come to the web site looking for movers. Any information you can tell us on your move will help others just like you find a good mover, or decide who to avoid.

Good luck on your move!
- Jeff

JAHaddow

Postby JAHaddow » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Just a heads up. the DOT number you gave, 2842396 and the MC number both come up as Moving Experts LLC. The address provided on www.safersys.org is a UPS store. I think that says it all. The authority was approved on May 15, 2016.

As Jeff says, do more research and make sure you do not give a deposit up front.
"Having the Right Information Makes for an Informed Decision"

Return to “Open Community”