MOVING TO KARLSRUHE, GERMANY

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Diane

Re: MOVING TO KARLSRUHE, GERMANY

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:53 pm

Thanks--that is reassuring, but Michael posted previously that Sterling was a broker and it was generally bad to use a broker. Are you bothered at all by the fact that Sterling is a broker?

Postby 23 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:56 pm

Most every international company I know has to broker some or all of every move.

Choosing an ocean liner to transport the goods is considered brokering isn't it?

Plus, who has an agent in every country???

With an international move, brokering isn't bad if the company has a good reputation!

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:58 pm

Thanks - if this move with Sterling turns out OK I think we may have a winner that we can recommend to others, which I am always looking for.

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:55 pm

Just so you guys know the exact price was $1882 plus $90 for a custom wood crate for a glass table top (4*4 ft) to go from Lakewood Oh to Karlsruhe Germany. The final size was 200 cuft and 1000 lbs, which is their minimum weight. The only expense we have waiting for us still is for the storage, depending on how long we need it there ( $12/wk). I will tell Sterling about this thread, maybe they willl be willing to explain why their price was so low?

Helena
HELENA N. LORENZ

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:44 am

What's new???

Well, just got a bill for over $100 for Inspection fees. SUCKS!! But, that means that our stuff has arrived in port. We still don't have an apartment, so we are leaving it in storage for now, but I guess the main part of the journey is over...

H
HELENA N. LORENZ

HELENKANEU

Postby HELENKANEU » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:57 pm

Last Wednesday the movers delivered everything, and it was great! No hidden charges, nothing broken, I am happy, and am celebrating Christmas already ( it feels like getting all these presents, after not seeing my stuff for 4 months everything seems new :-) ). Have to definitely recommend them!!!!
HELENA N. LORENZ

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Good - when I have time I'm going to call Phil at Sterling to get some background on international moving.

soph981

Postby soph981 » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:50 pm

Hi,

I just want to say thanks for this website, you have no idea how helpful it has been. I am moving internationally (Chicago to Budapest, Hungary). I made the reverse journey 6mths ago, which the company paid for, and used a company called Nelson Westerberg International. I was reasonably happy with them. Sadly now I have to pay for the move back so I am trying to get as many quotes as possible.

I have been quoted as having approx 150 cu ft and quotes are wildly ranging:
$3200 from Boyer Rosene
$4400 from Allied International (the reason for this being that even though I only have 150 Cu Ft I have to take the full 300 cu ft container and pay for that which seams unfair to me but I guess they have a point)

Cheapest I had was $2200 from Sea and Air Cargo but thanks to this site I have ruled them out.

Reading all Helen's posts re Sterling International was very positive and reassuring and will now contact them also.

Am now waiting for quotes from:
Graebel (doing an in-home visit on Tuesday)
Sterling
Unigroup (part of United Van Lines)
Rainer Overseas
Interdean Interconex
Nelson Westerberg International

If anyone has any info or a POV would love to hear it.

Thanks
Sophia

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:03 pm

Hi - Graebel, Rainier, and Nelson Westerberg are all members of FIDI, a group that certifies international movers by auditing them every two years. Interdean is also a member but only in Europe, not in the U.S. Movers in the FIDI group have received a vote of confidence, in other words.

I would be wary of Boyer Rosene on the basis of negative things that have been said about its domestic moving operation on this board. Sterling has had sharp pricing in the past and I think that contacting Phil there might be your best bet. Don't go for the cheapest quote because international moving is a real minefield.

Here is a useful FAQ sheet from the FIDI website: - http://www.fidi.com/public/planning/other/faq.asp

Postby guest » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:36 am

I've used Rainier for several overseas moves; talk to Sonja or Rebecca they will shoot straight and use decent origin and destination agents AND give you a competitive figure. A lot of Allied agents are required to use the "house" forwarder (usually Allied van lines international or a sub.) and they tend to be pricey when that requirement is in effect. Also, standard overseas crate or "liftvan" is 200 cu. ft. not 300.

soph981

Postby soph981 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:36 am

Thanks for the response. I was going to as Allied about the 300 Cu Ft thing as that's one thing I had gathered from here that they have 200 cu ft containers.

caddy

Postby caddy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Walkerly sucks they do very bad moves they scrath things A NDMESSED UP MY WOOD FLOOR AND TRIED TO HIDE IT

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:51 pm

I'm doing a summary post on Ohio moving companies. Can you give more details about what happened on your move with Walkerly? I assume it was within the U.S.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:53 pm

NEVER USE[ Walkerly IN WOOSTER MOVING CO. OR READ REED THEY COST ME LOTS OF MONEY AND OVER CHARGED AND THERE WERE HIDDING FEES EVREWHRER STAY AWAY

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:20 pm

HI MY NAME IS DUSTIN I WORKED AT THE WOOSTER STORE Walkerly AKA REED WHAREHOUSE VAN LINES UNITED ATLAS AND LIKED IT UNTILL I SAW HOW THE WORKERS HAD NO RESPECT FOR ANY THING NOW I DID MY BEST WHILE I WORKED THERE I WORKED SO HARD AND WAS VERY HONEST WITH THE CUSTERMERS NOT LIKE OTHER THEY WOULD SCRATH WOOD FLOORS DROP AND STEAL THINGS THEY FIRED ME FOR A UNKNOWN MENTAL ILLNESS THAT IS UNDER CONTROL BYMEDS I JUST THOUGHT U SHOULD KNOW TO STAY AWAY FROM ATLAS IN WOOSTER OHIO 44691

OH EA BREAT THEY TESTED ME FOR DRUGS AND SAID I HAD NO IN MY SYSTEM FOR OVER A YEAR ITS YOUR EMPLOYES THAT DO COKE COCAINE

Return to “International Moves”