international moving

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
frenchiecath

international moving

Postby frenchiecath » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:42 pm

Which companies are good at international moving ?

Diane

Re: international moving

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:55 pm

You might want to consult the article on international moving on the "Links" page of this website for a general orientation.

A company called Sterling International has recently been praised on this board and someone is currently using it for a small move to Germany. Its website is www.sterlinginternational.com. A contact there is Phil and his number is 302-762-2896. However, "Michael" posted that Sterling International is a broker. I asked whether this was a bad thing but no one answered me.

Another company in the Pittsburgh area called Champion International at www.champmove.com and phone 800-841-1010 has also been praised by a moving professional who posts here. You might look into these two companies.

Four other companies that have been mentioned favorably by professional movers posting here are Crown Worldwide at www.crownworldwide.com, Gateways International at www.gatewaysinternational.com, Stevens International in Seattle (no website; phone 206-282-9840), and Rainier Overseas Movers at www.rainieros.com. Crown is a United company. I have no personal experience with any of these companies and am a consumer, not a mover.

You can see people's comments on these companies if you do a search on this website. People talk about their general reputation but so far no one has used them and come back to report to us. As a general comment, moving internationally with reputable companies is very expensive and beset by delays, and in some cases people have decided to just mail some boxes to themselves and buy new furniture overseas rather than trying to use a moving company to ship large items.

A warning: Don't use any company that has ANY complaints on the Internet (where there's smoke there's fire) and don't use any "new" company. Two companies that we know are bad are Worldwide Relocations and Globe Movers, Inc. Movex International is also a scammer. International moving is a real minefield. Don't take chances.

frenchiecath

Postby frenchiecath » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:16 pm

Thank you Diana for your answer, it's great to have some feed-back so quick. I will try the companies you pointed out. I'm really stressed because of my international moving back to France. I don't have too much stuff but I have at least 250 cubit feet, so I can't send them myself.

frenchiecath

Postby frenchiecath » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:39 am

I'm thinking of using Marlog Cargo USA, Inc for my international moving. Does anyone knows about them ?
Also I'm confused can I pack my own stuff yes or no ?

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:03 am

Marlog is a broker that seems to be headquartered in the Los Angeles area and that's about all I was able to find out about it. It has another name: Schumacher Cargo. If I were you I would contact a firm that we know to be reputable such as Champion (mentioned above) and get a quote and then you will have some idea of whether the quote you are getting from Marlog is lowball.

It's worth it to take some time making this decision because if you get sucked into a deal where they keep raising the price on you and/or your shipment gets delayed because the company doesn't pay people as it should, it can really drive you crazy. Just read some of the threads here on Worldwide Relocations to see what can happen to you.

The company should be telling you whether you can pack things yourself or not.

frenchiecath

Postby frenchiecath » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:13 pm

Well, didn't give any news since, because I had a hard getting my internet connection. But my international move went great. I used Rainier and they were great, the packers from California Relocations to the unpackers in Paris from Passport Moving. Everything went smooth. Not even one glass broken. I waited just a few days longer but I don't care since everything is here safe and sound at the price quoted.
My contact at Rainier Overseas is Doug Wiviot.

frenchiecath

Postby frenchiecath » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:21 pm

I forgot to say that Rainier were the one to give me the best quote and price. Crown Royal looked pretty good to me but I did'nt have the budget. Next time I won't even stress like I did and will use Rainier my eyes closed.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:27 pm

frenchiecath,

Thanks so much for posting the outcome of your international move. I've added your report to the other two good moves with Rainier Overseas that are reported on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3120

cmonburke

Postby cmonburke » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:03 pm

I am waiting for my shipment to arrive from England. I employed Stirling International, who brokered (?) it out to EuroUSA to pack and ship. I called Stirling to find out what the status on the shipment was and they told me to contact Deliver USA (in MD) and finally this company told me to contact Schumacher and Marlog in LA - I'm a bit concerned because I contacted them and now they said they didn't have any of my documents and are asking for me to send them all of my shipping documents to clear customs.
I read that Diane didn't know anything about this company. When doing an internet search, very little came up, which concerns me also. Any thoughts about what to do?? (I'll be phoning Sterling and Deliver USA).

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:35 pm

You may want to sign up for membership and send a Private Message to "HardAtWork". He has been VERY helpful to those doing international moves, and may even know some of the people involved. Try it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:43 pm

He is out of town for the next 10 days and I don't know whether he'll be able to log on. I'll try leaving him a voice mail in case he's checking his phone messages.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:48 pm

Oh, I see.

Have you ever given any of the required documents to one of the companies involved?

Hardatwork On The Road

Postby Hardatwork On The Road » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:52 pm

On the road and found a public internet access.

Marlog / Schumacher same company are the agents for Euro USA / Deliver USA.

If Marlog tells you they need to get documentation from you it is OK and it is a legit request.

Tell Sterling if you have any difficulties at all with Marlog / Deliver USA / or Euro USA as you paid Sterling to move you Door TO Door.

If Marlog / Deliver USA ask for additional money please send me a Private Message telling me what they are asking for and I might be able to assist. I'll check my PM again in a couple of days to see if there is any thing there.

But in the meantime Marlog with need a complete set of customs documentation along with a clear copy of passport and your US Visa if you have one this is all normal clearance requirements.

Hope this helps

From the road / Hardatwork

jerryp

Postby jerryp » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:51 pm

i have used MARLOG CARGO on several moves relocating employees all over the world and would not use any one else.THEY ARE GREAT.

goldminegutted

Postby goldminegutted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Jerryp, I've already replied to you on another thread about why Marlog Cargo aka Schumacher Cargo (why do they have two names?? Marlog Cargo is not even their legal business name, it's just a "doing business as") is NOT great (had their NOVCC license revoked twice already...) but if you would...tell us a little about some of the moves you've had with them. Locations, prices, time frames, etc etc. Because right now you really don't seem legit.

Return to “International Moves”