need mover recommendation for move from CA to New Zealand

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
LeeH

need mover recommendation for move from CA to New Zealand

Postby LeeH » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:37 pm

Can anyone recommend a mover to use for a move from CA to NZ? A friend put me in touch with Crown Worldwide because she knows the owner, but their estimate is high ($9300 for a 20' container). Rainier seems to be a bit better, and they directed me to this site which is kind of cool, but they are in Seattle so I have to assume they subcontract. I'd love a good recommendation. . . .

Diane

Re: need mover recommendation for move from CA to New Zealan

Postby Diane » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:24 pm

Rainier seems to be a bit better, and they directed me to this site

Wow! We aren't experts on international moving on this website. However, I'm re-posting one of my earlier posts on the chance it might help you - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=22486:

Diane wrote:You might want to consult the article on international moving on the "Links" page of this website for a general orientation.

A company called Sterling International (a broker) has recently been praised on this board and someone is currently using it for a small move to Germany. Its website is www.sterlinginternational.com. A contact there is Phil and his number is 302-762-2896. Its quotes have come in substantially lower than those from some other companies.

Another company in the Pittsburgh area called Champion International at www.champmove.com and phone 800-841-1010 has also been praised by a moving professional who posts here. You might look into these two companies.

Four other companies that have been mentioned favorably by professional movers posting here are Crown Worldwide at www.crownworldwide.com, Gateways International at www.gatewaysinternational.com, Stevens International in Seattle (no website; phone 206-282-9840), and Rainier Overseas Movers at www.rainieros.com. Crown is a United company. I have no personal experience with any of these companies and am a consumer, not a mover.

You can see people's comments on these companies if you do a search on this website. People talk about their general reputation but so far no one has used them and come back to report to us. As a general comment, moving internationally with reputable companies is very expensive and beset by delays, and in some cases people have decided to just mail some boxes to themselves and buy new furniture overseas rather than trying to use a moving company to ship large items.

A warning: Don't use any company that has ANY complaints on the Internet (where there's smoke there's fire) and don't use any "new" company. Two companies that we know are bad are Worldwide Relocations and Globe Movers, Inc. Movex International is also a scammer. International moving is a real minefield. Don't take chances

LeeH

Postby LeeH » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:43 pm

Thanks for the info--I've been having good email contacts with both Crown and Rainier (the latter actually directed me to this site, which is a good sign, I think). Your old post definitely helps!

mpc

Postby mpc » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:09 pm

Hi Lee, I just used Rainier for a move from Atlanta to Melbourne. They picked up our stuff on Sept 8, it is now Dec. 1 and it is STILL NOT HERE!
The price was reasonable, and our agent has been good about getting back to our inquiries. But the time, I'm not happy. They quoted the move time as 45-65 days, it actually will turn out the be more like 95 days.
I'm extremely upset about this, but this may just be the norm when agents are hired.
Hope this helps

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:50 pm

My family and I have moved internationally several times. When a corporation/government agency was paying for it, we got our things promptly. The one time that we were paying for it as individuals, there was a long delivery delay. I don't know whether that's a typical pattern, but am just reporting what happened to us.

Also, just a note on Sterling International--the company has been recommended by a moving professional posting on this board, but I'm still somewhat concerned that their quotes are coming in so much lower than other companies'. Usually you get what you pay for in the moving business. If you're considering using them, try to make sure that they are quoting ALL charges and that you won't be faced with additional unanticipated costs at destination.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:34 pm

Those are both good companies. If you want a third quote, any agent of a major van line offers international moving. Check your local yellow pages.

mpc

Postby mpc » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:12 am

True to Diane's comment, We have just been asked to pay $220. for quarentine inspection here in Australia. This is after being quoted a door to door fee from Rainier that I believed would cover all of these types of fees.
I am going to contest the fee, but as we never got a contract spelling out every detail of the move, I suspect we'll just have to pay up.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:29 am

I'm just going to re-post some cautions posted here previously by a moving professional familiar with international moves ("Ken") in response to my question about a bad company called Worldwide Relocations. Some of his remarks are relevant to everyone involved in such a move, and I think they bear repeating. See bolded sentences for things relevant here.

Ken wrote:You do not need any sort of license whatsoever in order to be a freight forwarder. You can indeed obtain a license from the FMC (federal maritime commission) and IATA (international air transportation authority (?)), but neither of these are mandatory and many forwarders operate without them.

Mr. Costadoni stated that he was working on his RIM certification and that was applying to the HHGFAA. These are both good wise distinctions for a forwarder to have, but are not mandatory.

The RIM, or Registered International Mover program was started by the AMSA to better distinguish those moving companies, forwarders, and even individuals who are trained in international relocations. Although this is a useful tool for a consumer, it is also highly regarded by overseas agents who are looking for stateside companies to assist with their oa and da work. Being a RIM certified company theoretically means that you are heads and shoulders above the average US moving company, at least as far as international relocations go.

The HHGFAA, or household goods forwarders association of america, serves a similar purpose, but focuses more on the business legitimacy of the company than it does the level of service. I do know that the HHGFAA does act as a mediator to some extent with either service or business issues between members, but I'm not sure as to what extent.

From what I know from hearing scam stories concerning international moves, the trouble doesn't usually start until the shipment arrives at the destination point... the destination agent holds the shipment until the booking agent or forwarder pays the invoice for destination services, which the shipper has already paid for. When all is said and done, the shipper ends up paying for thecustoms clearance, terminal handling charge, and delivery a second time, as well as well as whatever storage the DA has accumulated, not to mention how much demurrage there may be if the shipment is a container load.

I have read instances where the forwarder/booking agent collects the money, but never sends the shipment, and fortunately [the Worldwide Relocations customer] is not in this scenario, but there's no way to tell until all is said and done...

What also concerns me about this move is whether or not Worldwide advised [the customer] as to the additional costs that will be incurred once the shipment arrives in Australia... every inbound personal effect shipment to Australia is subject to a quarantine, which depending on the size of the shipment can total several hundred dollars. Also, very often forwarders will neglect to include the destination terminal handling charge (THC) in order to make their price quote seem more attractive. This could also total several hundred dollars... so in the end, [the customer] may feel that he got scammed not because fraudelent charges have been added, but because not all of the legitimate charges were explained to the shipper to begin with...

So after all that, Diane, I realize that I haven't answered your question... I personally wouldn't trust anyone who wasn't a member of the HHGFAA - without them, there is absolutely no kind of control whatsoever. Any forwarder looking for business would want to jump at becoming a member... I feel that anyone in the international relocation business and is not a member of the HHGFAA is trying to intentionally keep a low profile

Return to “Open Community”