moving from seattle to germany

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
afrag

moving from seattle to germany

Postby afrag » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi everybody,
this has been the most helpful source of moving information I have found so far. Really great website.
After hours and hours and hours of trying to determine how to move our little shipment to Germany, I now decided to get quotes from different companies. What we really need is port to door contract.
So far I got a really good quote from Marlog Cargo. I could not find any information for these guys????
Still waiting for Sterling international and Stevens International.
Rainier Overseas sounded good. I will try them as well.
I ruled out Unipak after reading the postings.
How abount Uniworld Cargo?
Should I ask my shipper how will transport my boxes to my residence in Germany?
Well, thanks for all the useful info and I will let you know what I come up with.

Diane

Re: moving from seattle to germany

Postby Diane » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 pm

On Marlog, quoting one of my prior posts:

Diane wrote:Marlog is a broker that seems to be headquartered in the Los Angeles area and that's about all I was able to find out about it. It has another name: Schumacher Cargo. If I were you I would contact a firm that we know to be reputable such as Champion (mentioned above) and get a quote and then you will have some idea of whether the quote you are getting from Marlog is lowball.

It's worth it to take some time making this decision because if you get sucked into a deal where they keep raising the price on you and/or your shipment gets delayed because the company doesn't pay people as it should, it can really drive you crazy. Just read some of the threads here on Worldwide Relocations to see what can happen to you.
- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2829

Rule out Uniworld Cargo immediately - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2926

afrag

Postby afrag » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:56 am

Hi again,
this moving thing is truely confusing. Seems like suddenly every moving company in the world wants to move my stuff!
You are right, I ruled out Marlog and Uniworld is now out too.
It looks like Rainier Overseas and Crown Worldwide are somehow affiliated with Mayflower. Would this be reason enough to rule them out as well?
Probably?
Also, there is a new one: Global Direct Shipping? I don't have any details on this company yet.
And what does it mean to be a FIDI member?
Thanks
Astrid

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:22 am

Hi - the reason that everyone suddenly wants to move your stuff is that your name is "out there" because of something you submitted on the Internet. I know that it feels flattering to be sought after, but please, please beware of any company that you've never heard of that contacts you!

My advice is to rule out Global Direct Shipping immediately - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3394

I don't think Rainier is affiliated with Mayflower, but I seem to recall someone saying that Crown is affiliated with Unigroup, which is the parent company of both United and Mayflower. (I could be wrong, because I just went on the Internet and couldn't find any evidence of this.) As far as I know, both Rainier and Crown are highly reputable. Rainier is in your geographical area, and so is Stevens International. I would get quotes from both if I were you.

This is a thread on which I brought together a lot of information on reputable international shipping companies (their names are in red) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3120

I seem to recall someone mentioning FIDI before, but there are other certifications that I believe are more meaningful. Please see the comment by "Ken" on the above thread.

afrag

Postby afrag » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:45 pm

Hi,

well, I am still researching. I came upon another option.
I contacted ABF International and they would to do a port to port shipment.
I don't have a problem picking my stuff up but does anybody have experience with how much terminal handling & customs fees I would have to pay? Or who I could contact to find out? The ABF person told me on the phone that they do this all the time for exchange students and others who are looking to ship smaller amounts of household goods.
As we won't move any furniture, mostly boxes, this almost sounds like a reasonable solution. I am just not shure what questions to ask, so I get all the information I need.
And I just read the Sea & Air International Cargo postings. They contacted me as well and I have to agree, this does not look good.
The most realistic options I have found so far:

Atlas Van Lines 150cuft - 160cuft ~$2000 door to door. This sounds like we are paying for the whole crate. I think they come in 200 cuft sizes.

ABF International 150cuft - 160cuft/800lb ~$850.00 port to port

Graebel needs to do a survey once we are packed.

Stevens local agent 'Mountain Moving' will give me a rough estimate for door to door and port to door by tomorrow.

So far, so good.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:42 am

Interesting that ABF does international moves.

I did further research on Crown and I found that there are actually two separate entities as described on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1277

Crown Relocations with website www.crownrelo.com is in Huntington Beach, CA, and it has no connection with United Van Lines. It does both interstate and international moves, and it does the former using liftvans as if the move was international (highly unusual). It has one good review for a domestic move on the above thread (the person says it is excellent but pricey) and it has one bad review for an international move on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3725

There is a totally different company named Crown Worldwide Moving and Storage which IS connected to United Van Lines. It has offices in San Leandro and Ontario in CA. I believe that it does only international moves, and I don't think we have any reviews of it here.

The situation with the two Crowns is totally confusing because Crown Relocations uses the website www.crownworldwide.com as well as www.crownrelo.com.

Also, the first thread that I cited in this post indicates that Rainier IS connected with Mayflower, so you may have been right.

Finally, I want to correct what I posted above about FIDI membership not being as meaningful as some other things. Rainier has told us that FIDI, which stands for a French phrase about international furniture moving (FIDI is located in Belgium), audits its members every two years and this is a safeguard against fraud. You can go on the FIDI website at www.fidi-faim.com/companyprofile/search.asp to check out companies that you are considering. Make sure that the company you are considering is the same company listed as a FIDI member, because there are many companies with similar names.

afrag

Postby afrag » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:34 pm

Hi,
I took the advice and called the FMC. The person I spoke to was really helpful. His name was Joe Ferrill (not sure if I am spelling this correctly).
His phone number is 202-523-5807.
With all the research I think we narrowed it down to three companies:
Sterling, Gateways or Rainier Overseas. The quotes are all similar for door to door. Just around $2000.00 for ~1000lbs & 200cutf.
Or original idea of doing a port to port or a port to door move seems to difficult and a lot of work with unfamiliar customs issues.
Again, thanks for all your help. I will let you know how this works out!
Astrid

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks, and please do let us know what happens. From what I have seen posted here, I believe that all three companies you have named are reputable. We are going to look into ABF International to see how they handle things as well.

afrag

Postby afrag » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:57 am

Hi,

It took a while to get everything organized after our move. But I just would like you to know that everything went well.
We actually had, due to many,many books and a couple of very heavy items, almost twice as much weight as we thought. But it turned out ok.
We went with Sterling International, and our contact was James Everhard. Everybody, from the pick up in Seattle to the delivery people at our residence in Germany, was nice, professional and helpful. The delivery in Germany was organized through the UK by EuroUSA. All in all it took about 8 weeks with a couple of days delay in the delivery. But we were informed of this a couple of days in advance. Also, our goods were delivered without damage, nothing was lost and the moving guys had to unload everything on a small hill and carry it up to the residence, because the truck was too big to park in our driveway. No extra charge was added. The only extra charge we had to pay was a Customs fee of about 80 Euro.
All in all we paid about $2450 for about 1800lbs. And I am glad it is over, although I really can't complain. Sterling Int. turned out ok.
Again, thanks for all the helpful advice.
Astrid and Greg

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:50 pm

Great report. I'll add your good experience with Sterling to our sticky in the International Moving forum.

muster

Postby muster » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:22 pm

it looks like you spent a hell of alot of time for shipping such a small amount.i am sure if you dig deep enough you will find fault with all relocation companies.its people moving the stuff not machines or robots....shit happens

fitz

Postby fitz » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:28 pm

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU MUSTER.YOU USUALLY CAN FIND A TURD SOMEWHERE IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH.ALL OF THE COMPANIES HE MENTIONED ARE VERY CAPABLE OF DOING THE WORK.ALSO DIANE,A DOMESTIC MOVE PACKED IN LIFT VANS IS NOT UNUSUAL ESPECIALLY DURING THE SUMMER WHEN EQUIPMENT IS STRAINED.IT ALSO IS MORE PROFITABLE FOR THE LINE. :!:

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:07 pm

fitz wrote:ALSO DIANE,A DOMESTIC MOVE PACKED IN LIFT VANS IS NOT UNUSUAL ESPECIALLY DURING THE SUMMER WHEN EQUIPMENT IS STRAINED.IT ALSO IS MORE PROFITABLE FOR THE LINE. :!:

I never denied this, and I know that a LOT of unusual things happen in the summer when equipment is strained. But keep on telling me stuff, because that's how I learn. :wink:

Return to “Open Community”