HELP - Moving from Phily to Seattle

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Tashka

HELP - Moving from Phily to Seattle

Postby Tashka » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:07 pm

I've never ever used moving services before, and I'm very scared right now, reading all that reports about moving scams.

A job opportunity just came, and we have to move quickly to West Coast. And the most scary part is not the fact, that it's unfamiliar territory for us, and not that it had happen so quickly - but the fact that I don't know which of the moving company I can trust. Every company on my list that can move me in decent time is on Black List as well.

Can you recommend any company, that would provide more expansive quote, but in the same way I would be sure that they will not charge me twice upon arriving of my stuff?

twalker
Site Admin

Re: HELP - Moving from Phily to Seattle

Postby twalker » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:08 pm

Tashka,

Where do you start looking for companies? i.e. - how are you getting these black listed movers to give you estimates?

If you haven't done so already, you should start off by reading the article here titled "How to Find a Reputable Mover". That should get you going in the right direction and we can help you from there.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:34 am

Generally, the larger the companym the mover likely they can deal with your load on a short notice. Try finding an agent of a major van line, to start with. Also, Broadway Express and ABF have proven themselves for short notice moves, also. Yes, I realize I sound like a commercial, but you seem worried about this.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:48 am

Its not that the majors are more expensive. Its the scammers that low ball making us look more expensive, when in reality, by the time they get their extra $1000-$5000, the majors werent that bad to begin with.

The simple fact, the more you do ANYTHING of something yourself, the cheaper it will be compared to a full service ANYTHING.

There are plenty of good companies in Philly.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

wombatused

Postby wombatused » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Having had a bad moving experience and then managing to get the shipment away from the original shipper and moving it to Rainier Overseas of Seattle I would have no hesitation in recommending them. They did a shipment from Seattle to Germany for my son and it was very professional. I dealt with Sonya at Rainier Overseas. I would say beware of the low ball quotes. You will end up paying twice that if you aren't careful. Seattle has had it's problems also. Recently a company in one of the suburbs was nailed with running a scam and it was in all of the papers. If Rainier Overseas doesn't handle domestic shipment they might be willing to offer a recommendation. The tricky part, I think, is, if you contract with a Philadelphia company making sure it actually gets shipped out if you move on to Seattle. That is why it is important to make sure the company is legitimate and professional . This website helped me and really opened my eyes to the problems in the moving industry. Unfortunately I lost about $5,000 and have still been unable to collect that from the original company who moved by goods 30 miles where they sat for two months after I had paid them $6,437.00 (twice my original quoe). It cost be an additional $4,600 to get the shipment straighted out and at that point I was just thrilled that the goods were still ok and did finally arrive intact. Do your research

wombatused

Postby wombatused » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:54 pm

P.S. The company I had trouble with was World Wide Relocations and, although I haven't been on the site in quite a while, I see that they are still operating in the same manner as shown on the Report a Scam message board. I dealt with them last August and it appears they are still up to their old tricks.

Return to “Open Community”