Moving to Kurdistan

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
vcfontan

Moving to Kurdistan

Postby vcfontan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:14 pm

Good evening everyone,

First of all, I would like to say how much I appreciate this site. I was about to send a deposit to a company that was blacklisted, and I am glad that a friend told me about you guys.

I am moving to Iraqi Kurdistan next month (don't tell me I am out of my mind, I already know), and am looking for tips and recommendations to send my belongings to Turkish Kurdistan, that's as far as things will go I think. I have gone through the message board and have found two companies and contacts that seem reputable enough:

RICH WILLIAMS
STERLING INTERNATIONAL
rich@sterlinginternational.com
866-293-6090
(I am a bit concerned about this one, because the e-mail address given by Rich does not match his signature and the address on which he wrote to me: rich.williams@a-arnold.com)

Michelle Dillon
International Relocation Coordinator
Stevens International
155 Diplomat Drive, Suite D
Columbia City, IN 46725
Telephone #: 260-244-7004
Fax #: 260-244-6096

Does any of you know these companies, and can tell me if they are reputable?

I am getting in-house surveyers to come to my place tomorrow and next tuesday, so at least I am trying to get that right.

Thanks for all the help any of you can provide.

Victoria C Fontan
Victoria Fontan

Diane

Re: Moving to Kurdistan

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Victoria,

Stevens International is listed as a member of FIDI, which stands for a French phrase about international furniture moving (FIDI is located in Belgium). According to another company we trust, Rainier Overseas Movers, FIDI members are audited every two years and this is a safeguard against fraud. Here is the page on Stevens from the FIDI website - http://www.fidi-faim.com/companyprofile ... US+STEVENS Note that the address and phone number matches. You always have to make sure that the company you are considering is this same company, because there are many companies with similar names.

Sterling is not listed as a member of FIDI, but we consider it reputable. The website that you list is correct. The phone number does not match the one we have for Sterling and I am wondering whether the gentleman is using a cell phone. How did you end up with that particular sales rep? What you could do is call the number listed on the website to be sure that he is really a Sterling employee. The rep that people on this website have used is named Phil Aeschleman and maybe you should switch over to him if you aren't already committed to this other guy.

In short, I think you are on the right track with these two companies but I think it would be wise to check out the Sterling sales rep a little more.

Here is kind of a summary thread on international movers, with contact information, if you haven't already read it - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3120

vcfontan

Postby vcfontan » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:09 pm

Thank you very much for your reply,

The number that does not match, for Stevens, was given to me by the Rich after I reached him through phoning the company on their web-site number. He gave me this number telling me that it was his toll free direct number. I will try to call the company tomorrow again to talk to him. Thank you for the advice.

I am getting a visit from Delaney Moving and Storage Inc., out of Syracuse, on Tuesday. They are agents for United Van Lines. My question is: is United Van Lines reliable? Is being an agent for them a safeguard against fraud, or is United Van Lines a broker?

Victoria
Victoria Fontan

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:21 pm

I think maybe Rich is new because one of his email addresses refers to A. Arnold, another international booker (not a FIDI member either). Just be a little cautious. I'm not saying that he is an impostor or anything :) but he could be inexperienced.

United Van Lines is the largest van line in the United States and completely reputable. But why is Delaney visiting you? Are they going to do an inventory for one of the international bookers? Or are you getting a quote from the international division of United Van Lines?

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:33 pm

Dear Diane,

I asked Rich Williams where his e-mail address came from, and he replied that A-Arnold is apparently the regional company that holds Sterling International, he said it was a sister company.

How can I check that?

Thank you for your assistance,

Victoria

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:18 pm

Victoria,

This is a direct quote from Sterling's website:

Sterling International was established in July of 1989 as a New Jersey Corporation. After more than 20 years in the moving industry, the President of Sterling [Douglas Finke] left one of the largest Van Lines in the United States where he had served as head of their International Division. The intent was to create an organization that could be more responsive to customers? requirements. Therefore, we focused on competitive pricing, fast response time, and personalized service.

Having accomplished its base mission, Sterling expanded its services by merging, in September 2002, with A.Arnold World Class Relocation, a century-old executive mover with an impeccable reputation.

So it seems as if Rich is telling the truth. However, you might feel a little more comfortable with Stevens . . . I'm not sure. You should probably get a quote from both.

Take a look at this page for some good general advice about international moving: - http://www.fidi.com/public/planning/other/faq.asp

Victoria Fontan

Postby Victoria Fontan » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:54 pm

Just to update those interested on my move to Kurdistan. It turns out that after a month there, I was offered a better job in Costa Rica. My things were in Istanbul already, and Sterling International did a tremendous job re-organising my move to Costa Rica from Turkey. Rich Williams, my contact form the company, has always been extremely efficient, helpful and responsive to my e-mails and queries. Serling International is definitely genuine. I would highly recommend them for any international relocation. I will use them again when I leave Costa Rica.

Good luck to all still looking for the ideal company.

Victoria

Return to “Open Community”