Move US-South Africa

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Werner

Move US-South Africa

Postby Werner » Wed May 25, 2005 3:07 am

Hi,
I am interested in people's experience with the move from the US to South Africa (Atlanta-Johannesburg) and what companies people recommend. Allied International seemed reliable and professional but also much more expensive during their on-site evaluation (estimate ~2,500$ more than others who only gave estimates via internet without inspection). Is this a reasonable company or are there better options?
Also, how important is an on-site inspection since this requirement may limit the number of potential companies quite a bit for international moves?
All information greatly appreciated.
Werner

MusicMom

Re: Move US-South Africa

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 25, 2005 6:34 am

but also much more expensive during their on-site evaluation (estimate ~2,500$ more than others who only gave estimates via internet without inspection).

They only SEEM expensive compared to the others because the others who gave you a quote are relying on your own accounts of what you have. Those emailed inventory lists are never accurate, and the only companies that use them are the ones to avoid. Their enticing quotes are known as "low-ball", and are low to pull you into that comapny's clutches. I can guaranteee if you list the companies that would not come to your house, and we will be able to point to a long list of Red Flags or disgruntled customers.

Allied International is the overseas shipping portion of Allied Van Lines, one of the larger and better major van lines. Really, any of the majors can handle an overseas shipment, so if you wanted to call some other agents in your area to come and take a look for an estimate, that would work for you. Therea e a couple of international moving companies that do not ahve local agents, but will work with a reputable local company to get you to port, such as Champion (Philadellphia), Ranier Overseas (Seattle), and Crown Relocations (?).

Kaf

Postby Kaf » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:05 pm

Hi there,

did you ever move your stuff to South Africa?? I am loooking to move to pretoria from New York and am getting all manner of qoutes....Omega Shipping which has been given a bad rating by someone in the board has given me a good rate.
Let me know what companies you would recommend. I ahve a qoute from Ranier and they will come and do an estimate....
all your asssitance in tis appreciated
:)

Koring

Postby Koring » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:53 pm

Be very careful in getting internet-quote companies to move your stuff.

I recently moved back from the US to South Africa and was saved from what was undoubtedly going to be a continuing nightmare with extra charges all the way and severe damage- (No in-house estimate, "insurance" sold on owner-packed boxes, amateur packers, poor/no wrapping and a side-board that mysteriously morphed into a grand piano!) - by a series of fortunate events.

I ended up getting one of the companies recommended on this site to do the move. What a difference. Worth every apparent extra penny:- just in the saved damages alone.

Kaf

Postby Kaf » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:02 pm

Hi Koring

good to hear that you had a good experience and a smooth move

Thanks for the information...can you please share with me the company that you used for the move to South Africa/....... thing is am moving to Pretoria which is not at the port and the ports are in Durban and Joburg so the price is becoming expenses coz of the extra drive to Pretoria.
The contact infor of the company that you used will be valuable as I would rather use what someone else has used.

Its really hard to decide who is who with all the companies that are there so I would go with yours as there is prior experience and I am also short on time as I need to be out of here bythe end of the month.

Thanks again you can reach me on my personal email too at kafreshi@yahoo.com

Kind regards,
Carole

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:52 pm

Hello

I used Sterling, who coordinated with Allied locally to pack (great job) and Kings International in Cape Town. I moved a 40ft container. The whole shipment took less than 5 weeks as there is express Safmarine service directly from the US to SA, which is what Sterling used.

Koring

Postby Koring » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:54 pm

The previous post was from me.

What I did not mention is that I also got quotes from all the other recommended movers on the sticky and went with Sterling due to timing.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:43 pm

Koring,

I'm going to post your positive experience on our International Moving sticky because I try to keep track of them. If you would like to add any more details such as cost and names of people you dealt with at Sterling, please post them. I would be interested in knowing the name of the scammer you almost went with and how you avoided going with them.

Return to “International Moves”