anybody moved from US to Australia?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
tricialu

anybody moved from US to Australia?

Postby tricialu » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:44 pm

We're planning a move from san francisco to australia (gold coast) in a few months' time.

Has anybody done this move? Any recommendations, tips or advice? Would love to hear your experience! We are tempted to leave all furniture and just bring clothes, shoes, books, personal items, bicycles, tools and some kitchenware.

Thanks in advance.

Tricia

hardatwork

Re: anybody moved from US to Australia?

Postby hardatwork » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:31 pm

First thing you should get quotes for shipping all of your goods that you want to send to see how much it will cost. Then you can widdle down the volume to fit you budget. You should try to get someone out in the next week or so to get a jump on things.

Going to Australia you want to ship either a 20' or 40' container. The port charges in Australia for shared containers gets kind of high and can be costly on small shipments.

When getting quotes for Australia makes sure if the the quote includes the port charges in Australia, and the GST (Australia10% of all service fees in Australia). Very important so as not to have a big surprise later.

Going to Australia you always face extra fess for quarantine, fumigation, and customs examination fees. They are not always charged and it would depend on the amount of inspection required to release your goods. This is not in the power of the mover to tell you, because it is collected in Australia only if the governmental agencies requires it. It is like when you pass customs at the airport sometimes you get the green light and sometimes the red light.

Try not to take any outside items, BBQS, bikes, garden tools, golf clubs, patio furniture, and the like. Quarantine Department looks for these items coming in on household goods shipments for dirt and stains. If dirty they will hold shipment for fumigation.

Very strict in Australia concerning pest control keep the bugs out due to timber industry there.

Australia Customs website is www.customs.gov.au You can look over the section for General Imports. Kinda of boring but if you might want to read.

tricialu

Postby tricialu » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:34 pm

Ok, we got a number of quotes, and 2 companies came out to do a survey. It looks like we only need 1 lift van (200 cft) and the quotes were between $2500 and $2900 door to door from san francisco to the gold coast, australia. We got quotes from 3 of the recommended international movers on this site...... sterling, stevens and rainier and so I think I'm just going to pick one of the 3. No feelings on who I should go with at this point, but the one company who offers to pack the lift van in our drive way (instead of back at their facilities) will probably win. We are flexible in what we are bringing and so can give or take a few boxes towards the end, depending on how the liftvan fills up.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:59 am

The rates sound correct concerning your volume.

The standard practices of qualified international movers is to pack your lift van at your residence and not at the warehouse. If they do not offer to load at your residence then I would not go with them as you say.

Some points you might want to consider when chossing the movers it to make sure what the rate covers and DOES NOT cover.

1. Make sure all quotes INCLUDE Austalian Port Charges and GST. Australian Port Charges are expensive and some movers do not include these to make the rate look lower. They say they are not included but as you do not know about them you may not notice or ask. They run about $ 1.00 to $ 2.00 per cubic foot. Also Australia has a GST Tax of 10 % on services preformed in Australia so make sure your quote includes this cost to avoid an unhappy surprise. Look over the does not include section on your quotes and should you have any questions ask the mover.

2. Australian quarantine and fumigation fees are not covered in quotes as you never know if they are going to occur but you need to be aware of them as it is common for them to come up.

3. Ask your mover if their lift vans meet Australian standards for wood products as this could cause delays in quarantine clearance.

4. Valuation charges, when comparing costs make sure you also compare costs for valuation (insurance) charges. Normal should be $ 25.00 to $ 30.00 Per $ 1000.00 of value. With only 200 cubic feet of goods this may not add up to too much but it is worth checking out.

5. Only go with the movers that did the in-house estimate also not over the phone / internet to avoid possible problems later.

6. Ask your mover to supply you with the Australian Customs Form to complete in advance of your move. If they can easily supply good sign they are experienced in moving to Australia.

7. Have you mover advise you what items not to ship or how to handle items to avoid quarantine clearance delays. ANYTHING that has been outside it questionable to Australian Quarantine personel. Your movers should be able to advise this very quickly.

8. Ask them how long it will take to get to the Gold Coast. Movers all quote 6 to 8 weeks but it will normally take longer. It will depend on how quickly they can get in on a ship, they should be able to tell you this. Most will be using a consoildation services which means they will ship once they have enough to fill a container which could take ??? time Then the time the ship takes to arrive in Australia different shipoping servies take 21 to 35 days or longer. After arrival how long does it take for customs and quarantine release? Then ask for the time to move your goods to the Gold Coast. I know the area and I know there is not a lot of moves in and out of there and you could be looking at a delay in getting your goods to be delivered.

9. The mover is making a nice profit on your small shipment so they need to answer your questions in a timely manner. Don't think I only have a small shipment so they not care about my shipment. They should care.

If you have any questions please feel free to post and we can try to assist

Postby guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:06 pm

I came across this website while looking for reputable international mover. I'm moving to Australia pretty soon and I've talked to several companies. Do any of you guys have any experience or reference or comment on Meyer's international van lines and IntlMove international movers? I'd really appreciate your input on this matter. Thank you.
Eddy.

Postby guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:09 pm

forgot to mention 1 more company...it's Uniworld Cargo. any comments or inputs are very much appreciated.
Eddy.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:42 pm

I have an an idea of what I'm going to say, but to be sure, can you post either their license numbers or their contact info (phone, email, website, address, etc) so I can be sure exactly which companies you are talking about?

Concerning UniWorld Cargo, here is one complaint about them, and a reply from Helen of the company, plus a link to more complaints on another site.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2926

There's some more information available if you do a search here with their name in quotes.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:47 pm

Meyer's International Van Lines is Meyer's Van Lines, an agent for Mayflower. They don't have the greatest reputation, but may be OK. If you get quotes from them, compare them to other, known, reputable companies.

IntlMOVE says this:
License NVOCC FMC# 019338N
Toll Free 800-583-0010
Description
Intlmove Inc. is a Non-Vessel Operating Common Carrier (NVOCC) licensed by the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC), Bonded and Insured We specialize in the international shipment of Household Goods and personal effects.

We provide a cost effective, stress free relocation with dedicated, efficient service. Our most treasured asset is our good reputation which can only be maintained by operating with honesty and integrity. Intlmove Inc. is a member of the Household Goods Forwarding Association of America (HHGFAA) and support their philosophies and goals. New York, NY International Movers.

If you are moving from anywhere in the United States to anywhere in the world, your best move is IntlMOVE!

You may want to verify this license bnumber with the FMC. Any other questions you may have would be best answered by "HardAtWork". THis forum is his territory. :wink:

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:29 pm

which ones are the reputable companies? I'm still waiting quotes from Rainier, Stevens International, and Tumi. Thanks for the info..More questions are coming soon..:)
Eddy.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:36 pm

I'm basing the quote on 300cuf/2100lbs household goods.

Meyer's international : around $4300 door to door service including full packing, ocean freight, custom clearance, THC.
IntlMove : around $3500 door to door service including full packing, ocean freight, custom clearance but excludes THC.
Sterling (400cuf/2100lbs) : around $5700 door to door service including full packing, ocean freight, custom clearance, THC.

for the moment I will skip uniworld cargo based on the info MusicMom mentioned earlier. as usual, inputs and comments are very much appreciated.
Eddy.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:50 pm

This thread is kept at the top of the International Moves forum.

"Reviews of International Movers"
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:05 pm

I remember investigating Tumi and it did not look good. You should do a search here on the name. I would go with one of the four companies recommended on our sticky or another company that "hardatwork" says is OK. Don't take chances.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:43 pm

Dear Eddy

What city are you moving from in the US and to in Australia?

Did the movers quoting you actaully do an in house estimate of the goods your shipping?

Let me know so I can better judge the quotes for you.

Thanks

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:48 pm

I thought that, too, D, but then you found the FIDI thing and declared them OK to get a quote from. What are your thoughts now? See how they compare?

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3817

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 pm

You're right, MM--it was your doubts about the company, not mine, that I was remembering. I think "hardatwork" should tell us whether Tumi is OK, but being a FIDI member is certainly a good sign.

Return to “International Moves”