emove.com website...companies to load/unload truck

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
vguss

emove.com website...companies to load/unload truck

Postby vguss » Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:01 pm

I'm moving from Philadelphia to New York. I'm considering renting my own truck, and hiring a company to load/unload my truck. I found a few companies on emove.com. Anyone heard of the following companies and whether I should use them or not:

Philadelphia

The Sultans of Schlep!
The Move Doctors
CDS Mid Atlantic Moving
Cranston Movers
USA Packing, Inc.

New York

Darling Movers
ATLAS MOVERS NYC
DEEPA AUTO REPAIR

Also, is emove.com a reputable website? Thanks.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: emove.com website...companies to load/unload truck

Postby twalker » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:30 pm

vguss,

This isn't a new idea to me, but you're the first person that I can recall asking me about any specific companies that provide this service. A year or so ago, Budget/Ryder offered a load/unload service that worked much the same way... you boxed up your stuff, and drove the truck, but they provided people to help load and unload the truck. I used that service for my last move and it worked out great (I don't think that they offer the service anymore).

The positive side of this kind of service is that your belongings never leave your posession. The thing that you need to be very careful of is insurance... you don't want to be responsible if one of the loaders injured his back moving your sofa. Check the insurance papers (make copies) and then call the insurance company and verify the coverage. Make sure that they are covered by workman's comp and that they have Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BIPD) insurance.

I hope that helps get you thinking about what to look for. Keep us in the loop about how this progresses. I think that if you can find the right provider, this is a great balance between the all-or-nothing move yourself or hire a mover idea.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

vguss

Postby vguss » Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:46 pm

Well, what I'll be doing here is actually using three companies. I'll be renting the truck from UHaul, but I'll be using one company in Philadelphia to load the truck. Then, another company in NY to unload the truck. As you say, this way, the truck and the goods inside the truck stay within my possession. I came up with this idea when I was on the UHaul site, and they directed me to emove.com to actually do the move. I probably will try to use this option instead of actual movers, since it should be cheaper as well. Wish me luck.

Josh

Postby Josh » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:08 am

VGuss,

I looked at emove.com and it looks like its primary advertiser is Uhaul. I am not sure what connection they have with the site, but it looks like they heavily sponsor it if not own it.

vguss

Postby vguss » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:01 am

Josh,

I figured that as well, since UHaul directed me to the emove.com website. They do have a lot of customer comments on these different companies that can load/unload your truck. So, I gotta hope these companies are legit. At least, the truck is mine.

Vic

used Darling Movers

Postby used Darling Movers » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:41 pm

Darling Movers is great, but I can't figure out how to contact them without booking time from them on emove. Anyone know their number? I used them for a move and not a thing was broken or damaged.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:45 pm

Was this an in-state move in NY? I can't find any record of a Darling Movers in NY. When did you use them?

adamschneider

Postby adamschneider » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:20 pm

Did you also check with Penske or Budget for the truck rental? From what I've seen and heard here and elsewhere, they both have MUCH better reputations than U-Haul.

Astoreth49

Postby Astoreth49 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:57 pm

After reading about emove here at MovingScam, I checked out their Web site. It sounds like a great deal, but I'm nervous about hiring a complete stranger to drive all of my possessions into another state. Has anyone USED emove yet, and if so, was it a good experience?

Postby guest » Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:03 pm

I saw a company called movingstaffers on the web. You might want to see what they have to offer. I don't know how to check them out though. Does anyone else know about them?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:51 pm

I looked into movingstaffers.com thoroughly when they first appeared. What they do is find guys from a local moving company to come and help you load or unload your truck, and charge a fee for it. It's nothing you can't do by yourself. Call some movers in the area that are doing well, make sure they properly train their loaders (meaning NOT plopping them in front of a video before sending them out into the field), and hire them yourself, skip the finder's fee. It's not hard.

darling

Postby darling » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:00 pm

I am the owner of Darling Movers. We work mainly through emove and do not have our own trucks, but can rent them and do the whole move for you, local or long distance. Emove is a pretty good company and works well for most people, though I would pay a little extra and rent a truck from someone other than uhaul. Also when using emove, not all companies are insured, Darling Movers is one of these such companies, so you are using at your own risk. However, because we are not insured we try that much more to make sure everything stays in the condition it was in before we touched it. If you go with an uninsured company see if your renters or home insurance will insure your move. For anyone who wants to use us, we work out of Brooklyn, ny and can be reached at [phone number removed], or through emove, but if you go through us directly we can give you a better rate.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:10 pm

Hello, Darling! :wink:

Thank you for your honesty in telling us you have no insurance up front. I'm guessing a lot of other emove companies are in the same boat.

I removed your phone number, so this isn't used as advertising, but it'll be very easy for potential customers to look you up and take advantage of your direct-line offer. How much of a discount would you offer to those who call you?

xxx

Postby xxx » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:52 pm

<post removed>

darling

Postby darling » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:15 am

This is the owner of Darling Movers again, posting a reply to those who want to hire us without going through emove. We can give a 15% discount, basically what we would be giving emove for the job. I can not leave my number up here but you can find us at emove, and can place the min order and pay the rest through us directly. Currently working on our own website, and will be on NYC craigslist, so look for us there. We are still uninsured but will be remedying that situation this year. I am pro emove or an other upack container like ABF. They allow the customer to be in more control over there stuff, and never have your belongings hijacked. I witnessed an event next door to where I live just last week where the company would not unload her stuff until she paid more money. This is a great website and I hope more people check it out before hiring someone to move their belongings.

Return to “Open Community”