mobile

Using ABF in winter - cold weather exposure and items

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Using ABF in winter - cold weather exposure and items

Postby tnoyes » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:02 pm

I'll be using ABF for our second move in January - Ontario Canada to California USA. Last time we moved was June so there were no concerns of items freezing.

I have no idea what items can safely be exposed to the freezing temperatures, and if they can't be frozen how else am I supposed to get them to CA - is there another suggestion? I could probably take the computer in my car but the rest there will not be room for!

Items I am concerned about:

- TV
- DVD player
- Air Conditioner
- LCD computer monitor
- computer
- stereo (home theatre)

Everything else is furniture books etc and will be fine.

Does anyone have advice or info on this?
tnoyes

Re: Using ABF in winter - cold weather exposure and items

Postby twalker » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:48 pm

You should be concerned about how well those items are packed, however, none of those things come into Best Buy or any other retail store in a heated trailer, so I wouldn't be terribly concerned about that. You may want to try to pack those items in the center of your load, but in all honesty, January in Canada.... the cold is going to get in.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby mbs » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:35 pm

Your items will be fine. Do allow them to warm to room temperature before use (and make sure all condensation is evaporated). Electronics do fine in cold temperatures, but poor in hot temperatures.
mbs

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:44 pm

Thanks! This makes me feel much better, I did think about these items being shipped to stores int he sold but I didn't know if perhaps they used insulated trailers.

I used U-Pack to move from CA to Ontario before, and we packed everything really well and averything arrived intact. I think I will take some extra precautions with tarps over the load in the winter in case snow leaks in, or spray from the tires coming up into the trailer.

I'll make sure to pad everything really well because cold things tend to be more brittle.

Postby Fred0844 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:50 am

Now comes part 2. Customs paperwork. I am going to assume that you are returning US citizens by your posts.

To Be Given to ABF Driver
You will need a 3299 customs declaration. Do a Google search on "form 3299" and you can get a link to fill it out on line and print it.
A photocopy of the front page of your US Passports (for all those family members shipping goods across the border).
An inventory of the goods being shipped. A copy for the driver, a copy for customs, and a copy for yourself. The inventory will list all furniture, including electronics, and cartons and contents.
For example
carton............clothes
carton............dishes
computer.......IBM .. model # xxx .....s/n xxxx

Please note that goods owned less than 6 mths to a year could be subject to duties and taxes.

If you have a copy of the Canada Customs Accounting document, that you did when you moved up, atach a copy to the customs docs (proves that you are shipping back what you brought up).

Do not worry about the cold, think of household goods on moving vans travelling across the praries in -40. Don't get too carried away with plastic protection, It can produce a greenhouse effect, (especially with the transition to a warmer climate) and trap moisture inside the components.
Fred0844

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:12 pm

Actually we are Canadians but lived in the USA for 5 years, we've owned everything for at least 1 year, some was bought in Canada years ago before our first move down to the USA and some was bought in the USA while we lived there. We did have to fill out all these forms for the trip back up here last year, so I still have the goods list conveniently :) I know we also need a gypsy moth form for CA. I think we have the paperwork under control (although it's always a challenge!)

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:27 pm

For the carrier you will have to provide;

copies of the photo ID page of your passports for all persons seeking free entry of goods(you, spouse, children). Make sure they are clean clear pictures.

copies of the I-94 departure records which should be in your passports. This must be up to date

3299 customs declaration

As I said the inbound accounting docs will be helpful.

Thanks for the gypsy moth check. Most self movers don't bother and should be mandatory no matter where you are going to.

Getting out before the snow flies, and you call yourself Canadian :lol:
Fred0844

Return to Open Community