mobile

Why Cubic Feet Estimates Should Be Avoided

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).

Re: Why Cubic Feet Estimates Should Be Avoided

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:24 pm

This is a great point of view and explanation, thanks George!
MusicMom

Postby TheTruthHurts » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:07 am

Isnt cubic feet the same as volume? I thought that was illegal to measure by...
TheTruthHurts

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:09 am

Yes, unless the quote is Binding for an interstate move, sometimes called a "flat rate". Non-Binging or Guaranteed Not To Exceed cannot be based on volumen, they must be based on weight and backed up with a certified weight ticket.

Because there's only a handful of movers out there who do volume-based interstate moves (although we've been told that all major van line agents has used this for one reason or another, because of an unusual situation with the shipment's makeup), it's still a caution symbol. If we hear of a mover quoting by volume, we immediately look to make sure the mover itself is good, and if that checks out, and the estimate is based on an in-home estimate by a company employee (scammers will say that a Binding Estimate is nullified if it's not viewed by the company, but they don't tell you this until the truck's been loaded), then the customer gets a green light.
MusicMom

Postby danarch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:43 pm

Very interesting...

So this site highly recommends Moovers as a moving company, however, the estimate I did with them was based on a cubic foot measurement. Trying to plan an interstate move is getting a lot more stressful by the minute.

dana
danarch

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:14 pm

Virtually all estimates done by full-service movers are based on cubic foot measurements, but then the number of cubic feet is multiplied by a weight factor (typically 7 pounds) to get a weight in pounds. That weight (plus distance) is then the basis of the price estimate. The cubic foot measurement is just an intermediate step. 7 pounds is frequently used because people in the industry have determined that that is the average weight of a cubic foot of household goods. If a customer obviously has a lot of heavy stuff, such as books, the estimator may multiply the cubic footage by a higher weight factor. A small carton of books can weigh as much as 45 pounds.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby dankatz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:49 am

Since my move is this coming tuesday, anything I can do to assure that I don't get ripped off? My binding estimate states that it would be nullified if I go over. I called and asked the rep what the price per CF will be if I am over and he said $2 which sounds reasonable to me. I asked him to put it in writing and he has yet to email me since yesterday! I have no idea who I'll be able to get in such short notice.
Dani
dankatz

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:50 am

Which mover are you using?
farrah7031

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:54 am

If a Binding Estiamte is nullified if you go over, then it's not truly a Binding Estimate. A BE is a set price that can't go higher or lower, except in addition services like shuttles and such.

Did they do an in-home estimate?
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:56 am

I think he/she is set to go with a scammer, judging from the other thread. I advised to rent a truck and call eMove.com for loaders and unloaders.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:02 pm

Oh, crap, that's right. North America Moving Systems.
MusicMom

Postby dankatz » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:04 pm

sorry, i posted on the wrong thread. North America Moving Systems is the company.
Hiring people here and there seems like a lot of work. I may have to do that is I can't find a full service mover by Tuesday.
Thanks for the advice,
Dani
dankatz

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:12 pm

It's nothing compared to the work you'll have to do to survive without your stuff for 30 days while you scrape up enough money to pay the extra thousands you'll owe the movers when they finally get there, then all the elbow grease needed to repair your furniture and replace your stolen watches and DVDs....

Trust me, I've been there. So has Farrah, so has Tim Walker, so have many many other scam victims. You DON'T want to go there. They've already demonstrated they're setting you up to be screwed (telling you that a Binding Price will change if you did something wrong is not legal and wouldn't hold up in court, because Binding means won't change)
MusicMom

Postby LearnedTheHardWay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:03 am

I do not know if my situation is common but can the moving company give you estimate in pounds, then on the moving date charge you for cubic feet?
LearnedTheHardWay

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:12 am

That's a good question. Was the quote a binding quote?
farrah7031

Postby cnoblit » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:35 am

Pardon me for not reading through this entire thread, however it strikes me that reasonable persons might come to the conclusion that falsifying a weight ticket is a CRIME in most states whereas state law does not address ballooning shipment cube. In addition, falsifying a weight ticket may often (granted, not always) require the complicity of a weighmaster, and what sane weighmaster would put his or her certification at risk (or risk a fine) for the price of a $20.00 tare or gross weight ticket? Only the very foolish I would imagine.

Therefore, if I was a crooked mover, I would count on the following happening...

1) The shipper failing to initially divulge everything that is tendered to me on move-out day: not by design...but rather by the shipper failing to understand that plans nearly always change, and what is initially planned to be moved often changes...by failing to comprehend the scope of their move…as happens so many times...and by minimizing the size of their move as (it seems) is a common practice which is perhaps driven by human nature and the desire to pay as little as possible.

2) I would load inefficiently, thereby ballooning the cube.

Furthermore, it stands to reason that weight-based moves encourage load-density efficiency whereas cube-based moved discourage load-density efficiency. Add to this the ease by which one can be cheated on a cube-based move and one has to wonder why on earth a consumer would elect to pay for cube-based moving service. The only reason I can surmise is that the consumer has failed to perform due diligence and research the issues at hand…or they are shopping for the cheapest price which (I believe) is the number one reason consumers get into bed with less then honest moving companies.

Perhaps some witty comment suggesting a fool and his money being soon parted is appropriate here, eh?

http://www.oig.dot.gov/item.jsp?id=2102
Title: Massachusetts Road Contractor Fined $3 Million for Falsifying Asphalt Tickets
Date: August 09, 2007
Type: Investigation
Summary: On August 9, P.A. Landers, Inc., a Plymouth, Massachusetts, road construction contractor, was ordered to pay a $3 million fine by a U.S. District Court judge in Boston, Massachusetts, as a result of its conviction earlier this year on charges of providing fake and inflated asphalt tickets for paving projects. The company was also ordered to pay $332,686 in restitution to the United States, the Commonwealth, the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority and the towns of Chatham and Sandwich, Massachusetts. Former company President Preston Landers was ordered to serve 42 months in prison, pay a $150,000 fine and $332,686 in restitution.

Gregory Keelan, the company's former vice president, was ordered to serve 30 months in prison, pay a $10,000 fine and $332,686 in restitution. The company and its two former officials were convicted by a Federal jury in May on charges of conspiracy, mail fraud, and making false claims on $18 million in paving projects between 1996 and March 2003.
Christopher Noblit
I'm a Professional Mover
cnoblit

PreviousNext

Return to Helpful Moving Information