mobile

small move from chicago to dc - must hire movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

small move from chicago to dc - must hire movers

Postby andrea77 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:43 pm

I have a very small move (less than 1175 lbs/1 storage container) from Chicago to DC. I am already in DC and my things are in a storage unit. I'm unable to supervise the move on the Chicago side, so I'm looking for recommendations on reputable movers who will do my small move for a reasonably affordable amount. I would greatly appreciate suggestions and personal stories you might have with any of the users you are recommending. Thank you VERY much!
andrea77

Re: small move from chicago to dc - must hire movers

Postby andrea77 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:44 pm

I'm sorry - that's 1875 lbs.
andrea77

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:48 pm

I'll repeat something I just posted for someone else moving from Chicago with a small load. I believe that moving companies can arrange to pick up your goods at a storage unit as long as their trucks can access it and you give a letter of permission.

Most companies have minimums that are below 2500 pounds at this time of year, so I don't think the size of your load should turn them off. Be aware that you may have to use a shuttle if you're in central Chicago and semi-trailers can't access your storage unit.

You could call Ms. Patricia McLaughlin, Executive Director of the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516, to ask for suggestions about good full-service companies. I know that she often recommends using a broker called Betsy's Trans-Pack to advise about small moves like yours. Do a search on this website under Betsy for contact information.

Another, more economical, idea would be to hire a local mover to take your things from the storage unit to an ABF terminal and load them into an ABF mobile storage container (see ABF review #23). Some smaller companies that have been used for local moving and liked by people posting here are Dels Movers at www.delsmovers.com (2 reviews at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3711 ) and Wolley Movers at www.wolleymovers.com (a review at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5392 and see also this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4953 ).

Several other local Chicago moving companies are mentioned in this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5368 Also, you can check how the performance of companies is rated by the Illinois Commerce Commission on this website - http://www.icc.illinois.gov/hg/hglist.aspx
Diane

Postby andrea77 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:10 pm

Thank you Diane. I just found this thread from last year -- do these concerns about Betsy's still exist or have your users had good experiences with her?

http://movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
andrea77

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:13 pm

Unfortunately, no one has reported back to us, but I would trust what Pat McLaughlin says about her, and she likes her very much. My only feeling is that you might be able to get just as good a deal as Betsy can, working with a moving company on your own. Usually it isn't good to put a broker between yourself and the moving company. However, in your situation Betsy might be able to act as your agent and go to the storage unit to supervise, etc., so it might be worth contacting her.
Diane

Postby andrea77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:40 am

A few more questions for anyone who has some free time to answer:

1. How does payment normally work? Do movers expect some payment up front and then the rest at delivery? Or should it all be at delivery?

2. If I use an independent mover vs. a large van line, could the difference in price be due to the fact that I have to buy my own insurance for the independent mover vs. it being included with a large van line?

3. When a company tells me that I'll have to pay for them to wrap up some of my items (e.g. box my mattress, tv, etc.), how do I ensure that they're not going to charge me an exorbitant fee for this?

This is SO stressful!! Thank you!
andrea77

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:55 am

Andrea, the questions that you're asking worry me because these are the kinds of things associated with scam or dubious companies.

1. Most legitimate full-service moving companies either charge the credit card prior to loading the goods or allow people to pay with a cashier's check at delivery. They do not collect deposits "to insure the space on the truck" or whatever, except possibly up to $200 in major cities like Chicago and NYC. In my opinion, any company that asks for a large deposit or wants half the money at loading and half at unloading is very suspect and should be rejected immediately.

2. "Independent" moving companies that are dubious or outright scammers very frequently tell people to get their own insurance with a company like www.movinginsurance.com. We do not know whether companies like movinginsurance.com even pay out on claims. Dubious moving companies have been known to tell people that they don't want to get involved with offering valuation coverage above the minimum 60 cents a pound, but the real reason is that they are a broker and they want to get their cut immediately and then palm the customer off on someone else if there is damage. In my opinion, any company other than ABF that does not offer its own valuation coverage but refers a person to movinginsurance.com should be rejected immediately.

3. Companies that are dubious or outright scammers frequently try to make money by jacking up the cost of packing materials. There is really no way that you can protect yourself once you are in the actual situation on loading day because they will refuse to move your goods unless they pack them.

If cost is a concern, you should go with ABF or BE--companies known to be safe and honest.
Diane

Postby Andrea77 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:09 am

Thank you Diane, I appreciate the assistance.

I've called two independent companies - one has recently received good reviews from the site, the other I knew to cross off my list when they told me that they charge by volume and not weight. I've also received one quote from a major van line, and am awaiting one from another, and received a van line quote from Betsy. The independent that had good reviews is the cheapest (and doesn't offer insurance) and expects half of the payment on loading and half on delivery, which sounds suspect, I suppose.

Unfortunately, ABF and BE won't work logistically, and I can afford the van lines, I just need a day or two to get over the shock of how expensive it is!

Thank you again for the tips and for this site -- this is my first time using professional movers, so I'm freaking out!
Andrea77

Postby Diane » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:20 am

If the independent company you're talking about is Moishe's, I think it might be OK to use based on recent reviews, even though some of those reviews could be bogus. I still think you would be taking a bit of a chance, but the company is under so much scrutiny here that I think they would probably try to make sure that your particular move went well, especially if you tell them that you're going to post about it.

Out of curiosity, how much did Betsy quote you and how was she going to handle the move?
Diane

Return to Open Community