mobile

recommendations for Quincy MA move?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

recommendations for Quincy MA move?

Postby cck02170 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:38 pm

I've been reading these forums for days to avoid getting scammed and THINK I know what I am doing. But after being armed with all of the questions to ask my local movers, no-one picked up the phone at the moving companies today(Sunday). So, that gives me another day to ask if anyone has had a good experience with Carroll the Mover in Quincy, or Gentle Giant in Weymouth, for a short move between 2 local towns. Or, any other positive experience in the South of Boston area.

Thanks.
cck02170

Re: recommendations for Quincy MA move?

Postby Tyrone » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:19 pm

You should be ok with Caroll the Mover (although that is just my personal opinion based on living in Boston for 20 years) based on their reputation. Plus you know where their warehouse is (right there on the Southeast Expressway) so you probably would not have to worry about your goods disappearing.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.
Tyrone

Postby cck02170 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:39 pm

Thank you very much. I contacted Carroll the Mover today, and they came right out for an inhome estimate. They seemed very reasonably and upfront, but we have a few more estimates scheduled--will keep people posted.

Your website is invaluable---thank you!
cck02170

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:54 pm

[Since there were two parallel threads going, I deleted my reply from the other thread and am re-posting it here; then I'll delete the whole other thread. In the other thread the OP asked whether it was necessary to get an in-home estimate.]

This is a thread mentioning many companies that do local moves in the Boston area - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4586

Among those mentioned favorably there are Nick's, Carroll the Mover, BTI-Mayflower, Paul Taylor (Wakefield), Benny's (use with caution, and not for long-distance), and Paul Young (Walpole). On another thread, East Coast Mover (a driver whose opinion I trust) also recommended Carroll the Mover (Quincy) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5126.

Gentle Giant has also been mentioned favorably on other threads.

My opinion:- not doing an in-home estimate is risky for both the customer and the company involved. I think it is sometimes OK for a studio or 1BR apartment move in a city like New York, but that's as far as I will go. A moverpro whose opinion I respect ("blue") once posted that it's the ones that you don't see that come back to bite you (the moving company)--I think he might have been quoting something his father said.
Diane

Postby cck02170 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:50 pm

Update:
I moved this week with Carroll the Mover: showed up on time, moved 30 miinutes within the 6 hour time estimate (under), no extra charges at all, and everything arrived in great shape. I would recommend them to anyone!
cck02170

Postby Diane » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:38 pm

Great report and we'll certainly keep it in mind. If you want to post details about what they charged and for how many workers and hours, that would be good too and might help others coming along later.
Diane

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:13 pm

They did an in-home estimate.
They charged 140.00 per hour for 3 men and ?30 ft. truck (I think). They wrapped all of the furniture with blankets and shrunk wrapped the couches and chairs at no extra charge.

They did have a 6 hour minimum, but it was heavy moving season, and they came to about the same hourly estimate as the others did anyway.
Overall, great move.

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks. That hourly rate is in the ballpark for an urban area.
Diane

Return to Open Community