mobile

moving from New York City to Florida

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

moving from New York City to Florida

Postby guest » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:02 pm

We will be moving from Manhattan to Florida in about a month and have a 2 year old and another baby on the way in 6 weeks, so we were looking for a company to pack our stuff and move it. Any recommendations for reliable, honest companies??
Thanks

Re: moving from New York City to Florida

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:45 pm

Hi - you might want to take a look at my Epinions article linked to below for some ideas. Also, be sure to read the article called "How to Find a Reputable Mover" by clicking on the smiley face in the box at the above left. The main thing is to be aware that companies like Oz, Seamens, and Shleppers that can be OK for local moves in the NY metro area are NOT OK for moves of this distance.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby guest » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:51 pm

Thank you, sorry I posted my message, then read all the advice and did some searches on your old message boards. I have an estimate scheduled with Flatrate and Moishes - scheduled prior to reading all the articles :) but have put in a call to all star (they actually moved us from Ithaca to NYC 6 years ago with no problems) and Movingman and will probably repost once I receive the estimates.
Thanks!

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:11 pm

Good - I would be very interested in your impressions of the various estimators if you have time to post, and I'll add your good report on All Star to our review thread. We're particularly interested in finding out more about Moishe's and Flat Rate. My personal feeling is that they may be better for moves under 250 miles than for long-distance moves where they can't drive to the destination and back in a day. We don't know for sure that they wouldn't broker out such moves, for example.
Diane

Postby guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:30 pm

Hello,
I cancelled the estimate from Moishe's after hearing too many bad things! We now have 3 estimates.
1. Flat Rate Movers Came to the apartment and gave us a brochure with info (I did not see the rights and responsibilities of moving or other DOT handouts) with a total guaranteed binding estimate of $3743.75 plus $393.75 for full packing service - total is $4137.50. There is an optional insurance with a $500 deductible charged at $10 per $1000 (minimum $3000. There is an itemized estimate, although we have 13 boxes and 2-3 small objects that were not in the apartment (at mother in laws )and I'm not sure if my husband gave them specifics. We can specify pick up date, but delivery will be with a 14 day window.

2. Moving Man Inc. (Wheaton). Came to the apartment, very nice and professional and on time, gave us brochure with FMCSA info. Itemized estimate of $5116.22 including full packing service ($1100 less if we pack all ourselves). The guy said the estimate is not guaranteed and binding, but estimated by weight as 5600lbs of stuff (I did ask 2 other movers, who thought our stuff would weigh around 5000lbs too). He said the cost may be slightly more or less, but said it would definitely be within 10% of the estimate. Insurance is extra, requires minimum of $30000 worth, but the cost ranges from $180-300 depending on the deductible we select. Also, I told this guy we also have 13 boxes of books, and the specifics on the stuff that is at the mother in laws (2-3 small carloads of stuff total).
Specific pick up date but 3-10 day post pick up delivery window in Florida.

3. The Padded Wagon. Came to the apartment, very nice, but much quicker at running through our stuff. Also told him specifics about what we have coming from mom in laws house. He did give us the summary of info for shippers by NYS DOT - #10802. I asked about interstate license and he said they were licensed for interstate moving. We had 2 friends recommend these guys last week - 1 used them for a local and an interstate move and was happy. After I checked your web site I got nervous, but we had the appointment and 2 known references. Ok, his estimate was guaranteed and binding at $4400. plus extra for packing (full service $1000, 1/2 pack $500 plus insurance $7.50 per $1000 declared value with $250 deductible. 7-21 day window for post pick up delivery.

We had an estimate scheduled with All Star, but they had to cancel and we are waiting to reschedule, although over the phone they said minimum would be $5000 plus packing...

Ok, after spending HOURS on your web site I am so nervous and confused! I would love to do this move ourselves, but I am 8 months pregnant, we are moving to Florida (closing on the house next week!) but are not actually going to move ourselves down there until December. So, we HAVE to hire movers. On the website, it seems that All Star and Moving Man were highly rated, but Moving Man won't give a guaranteed binding estimate. However, the guy seemed very thorough and based on other moving companies weight estimates seems to be about right. Should I worry. He said the truck gets weighed prior to arrival in the morning and then as soon as leaving after pick up before other stuff gets picked up. It also seems that no matter who we go with, we can't get a guaranteed delivery window date closer than a 7 day window. Is this definitely true?
Any other recommendations?? Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to be thorough!
Amy

Postby Diane » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:43 pm

Hi - before getting into a detailed reply, I have a request and a few thoughts.

Request.

You said Padded Wagon claimed to have an interstate license. We have been trying to find out about that for a long time--have written to them and everything, with no reply. Would you please ask the rep what their MC license number is?

Thoughts.

1. The companies with the long delivery spreads (Flat Rate and Padded Wagon) have such long spreads because they will have to hold your things until they have enough to fill a truck going to FL. If rapid delivery time is important to you, you may want to rule them out for that reason alone.

2. In my opinion, a company should be able to get your things to you in FL within 7 days, and All Star would probably be much less than that (I am guessing 3 days) if they provide a dedicated truck. There is a review by "Justine" on the All Star thread describing such a move. However, you will pay more for it.

3. Moving Man never seems to give GNTEs but if the estimator (Vladimir?) thought it would be within 10% of the estimate I think you can trust them. All Star will probably give you a GNTE with 4%-10% wiggle room, judging from the reviews.

4. Have you considered getting an estimate from University Van Lines in Rahway? There are many good reviews in the Epinions article below. They do give GNTEs, and although they are high, many people have gotten money back. If University could move you in one of its own trucks using its own driver (ask them if they can), I think you would get fast and reliable delivery, and it could take less than 7 days. University would be motivated to get its truck back to NJ to pick up another load.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:02 pm

Thanks Diane,
You are so dedicated and helpful!!
I have both All Star and University coming to give estimates for me next week and will post the info. The interesting thing about Padded Wagon is that their paperwork only included a NYC DOT #, so I will call and ask about their interstate #. The estimator asked who else I had estimates from, and did not say anything negative about anyone, only that he hoped we would go with them. Also, the actual owner of All Star is coming to do our estimate, and I spoke with him directly on the telephone! Impressive.
Amy

Postby shernit » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:16 pm

I feel like I'm in the exact same boat...
I'm moving from Brooklyn to FL and and trying to explore options of moving all my stuff, or simply putting it in storage (since it's an 18-month move and I'm moving in with someone who already has some stuff).
I got in-home estimates from Moishes and Flatrate. Flatrate was really high ($3650 for 830 cubic feet)-but I felt they were honest (and pointed me toward this site). Moises was $2700 for $3,300 lbs.-but it sounds like you've heard bad things.
Regarding the move to a storage space in NJ-and Moishes will do the short-distance move for $1000 (does that still seem high?) and Flatrate $2570 to their storage and back. So I'm checking out better-priced short-distance and storage places too. Any advice? Big John...
I have to move Sept 15th and I'm so bogged down in research I can't make a decision!
any ideas?
shernit

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:27 pm

Hi - I suggest that you look into Dahill and University Van Lines if you think you have time, especially if you want to put your things in storage. Both have good reviews and comments here. Big John's is good but I think it might be pricier.

Are you absolutely sure that this is going to be a permanent move? It might be safer to put your things in storage in the NY area for a while rather than getting everything down there and having to move it all back.

Of the companies you're currently considering--Moishe's and FlatRate--I think that FlatRate would be a safer choice. The CA associate of Moishe's (NorthStar in Northridge) has been known to give lowball quotes and then jack them up with additional charges, and there is no reason to suppose that Moishe's would be any different.

If FlatRate's estimate that you have 830 cubic feet is correct (it shouldn't be quoting by cubic feet, but anyway . . . ), then you actually have about 5810 pounds, far more than Moishe's estimate. The standard conversion factor is 7 pounds per cubic foot. I would predict that you would be hit with additional charges from Moishe's.

Since both Moishe's and FlatRate are independent, you might be looking at long delivery times while they wait to have enough shipments to fill a truck going to FL. I don't think you would have that problem with Dahill and University.
Diane

Postby shernit » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:46 pm

Thanks!
really helpful info.
I have both Big John and Dahill coming in the next two days. At the very least I'll get a better consensus on how much this weighs, etc.
ugh!
Have you/anyone heard anything about Storage USA or Extra Stroage Space?
shernit

Postby guest (amy) » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:00 pm

Ok, we received our last 2 estimates and wanted final feedback!
1. All Star moving: Gave us a Guaranteed not to exceed + 5% and tolls, so the estimate could get a little higher. The estimate including packing is $7150.36 Much higher than all the others, but they guarantee that our stuff will be the only stuff on the truck, so a guaranteed delivery date in 3 days. Interestingly, they also only gave us the New York State DOT summary of info for shippers (same as padded wagon) without giving the big rights and responsibility of movers.
2. University gave us an estimate of $5017 including all packing and extra insurance (and estimated 6000lbs of stuff (more than 1000lbs more than the others told us). The estimator Scott was very thorough, spent more time than anyone else, really did a good inventory, told us how to pack stuff if we wanted to do it ourselves, gave us advice to consider shipping books by UPS to save money if we had time to pack ourselves, etc. This estimate is a true guaranteed not to exceed and binding, and as I saw in many other threads, may go down if our stuff weighs less.
A few messages back I posted the other 3 estimates. If you could give me 1 more reply with feedback I would really appreciate it. Also, I still need to call Padded Wagon for their interstate number.
Thanks,
Amy
guest (amy)

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:37 pm

I like the University Van Lines quote--my only concern is whether they would move your shipment on their own truck or not. Incidentally, people have said that you can free full value replacement coverage with Atlas agents if you have AAA. I think All Star is too high unless you absolutely need your stuff in 3 days.

Please do call Padded Wagon and tell us what they say.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:53 pm

D, I looked up the Padded Wagon by name and found this. They may have NOT had a license at the time you were asking them, but it was reinstated in April (after being revoked back in 2003). MC336731

http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... l_name=THE^PADDED^WAGON,^INC.
<snip> &pv_pref_docket=MC336731&pv_usdot_no=739428&pv_vpath=LIVIEW
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:48 pm

Thanks, MM - so their interstate authority was revoked for more than a year and a half. I doubt whether they stopped doing interstate moves during that time. Seriously flaky.
Diane

Postby guest (amy) » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:02 pm

Hi Diane,
I did ask about if our stuff could be put on some other Atlas truck and he said that if they didn't have any shipments to Florida around the same time that was possible, but that they make sure they use other reputable Atlas franchises so they do not damage their own reputation.
Would this be a problem??
Thanks,
Amy
guest (amy)

Next

Return to Open Community