Question about RainierOS

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Zancuda

Question about RainierOS

Postby Zancuda » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi,

I'm moving to Switzerland from the mid-atlantic region and have gotten a quote from Rainier Overseas. They sent a local agent to do an in-house estimate and have quoted me about $2,600 for 200 cubic feet of stuff to include packing and door-to-door service. It seems reasonable to me, but I would love a second opinion from someone who knows. Is there anybody out there who can help?

I've believe I've read in other postings that it is NOT standard to pay for all the full shipping costs up front--that it is preferrable to make a partial payment at pickup and pay the balance when the items are delivered at the final location. However, Rainier is asking for a deposit now and full payment when crating is done. Is that standard? If I pay them in full now, what recourse do I have if my items are delayed or if they suddenly increase the price and hold my goods hostage?

Please advise me--I'm really concerned about this.

Thanks.

twalker
Site Admin

Re: Question about RanierOS

Postby twalker » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:00 pm

Hi Zancuda,

It is standard in the international moving industry (and only international) to pay for your move before it leaves port so you shouldn't be concerned about that. Rainier Overseas is one of the more reputable companies in the international arena, but you should still get competing estimates. For a good starting point, you may want to read this article:

http://www.movingscam.com/news/internationalMove.shtml

I hope that helps ease your concerns.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

Zancuda

Re: Question about RainierOS

Postby Zancuda » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Tim,

Thank you for that--it makes me feel much better.

By the way, I did get three other quotes and Ranier came in at just over half the amount of the others. (Switzerland is apparently an expensive country to deliver shipment.) I simply couldn't afford the others, but was afraid the Ranier quote was TOO low and I would have to pay more later.

Anyway, thanks.

Zancuda

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:18 pm

People have been posting that Rainier has very sharp pricing, if that makes you feel any more secure about it. Please do report back on your move so we can add it to our International Moves sticky.

Zancuda

Postby Zancuda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:08 pm

Reporting back as requested. Once in Europe I dealt mainly with EUROUSA in London and Luker Freight in Geneva. My stuff was delivered in Switzerland very efficiently a couple of weeks ago. Total cost was around $2,800. Everything arrived in it's original condition and the only additional fee I had to pay was a 55 GBP security fee to the London Port. Am pleased I went with RanierOS. Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Zancuda on Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zancuda

Postby Zancuda » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:19 pm

p.s. I also wanted to add that Ranier used Olympic Moving (I shipped from Northern VA / Washington DC area) to do the in-house quote and packing/pick up. The packers (while needing some brushing up on their spelling) were courteous, professional, and very efficient--they even called to ask if they could come early, which was great for me. They did a much better job packing than I ever could have done. I was very pleased.

Guru

Postby Guru » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:27 pm

Rainier are a very good company, very good people....I would say one of the best companies in the USA.

Guru

tricialu

Postby tricialu » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:25 pm

I used rainers to move from the US to australia. It has been 5 months (packed on aug 22 2005, and it is SUPPOSED to arrive today, jan 23 2006). I chose rainiers because it was much recommended here, even though it was a few hundred more than other quotes I got. US$3500 door to door from san francisco to the gold coast, australia.

I haven't been totally happy at this point. The local movers that they hired to pack my stuff broke my teapot by trying to jam it into a cardboard box with hardly any padding. Apparently, it is standard to only use brown paper to wrap. Bubble wrap etc is extra though I wasn't ever informed or given a choice. I don't think the local packers packed better than I could have. Communication has been very minimal. I got the letter to pay the amount before shipment. A month later, an email saying that it would arrive in australia on oct 11, 2005. About 2 months later, I got a letter saying that it is clearing customs and to pay the amount. Nothing for another month. I had to call a few times to the local company here in australia (chess movers) and nobody seems to have much of an idea on where my stuff was or the timeframe we were looking at. I was given an estimate of about 10-12 weeks...... it has been 20 weeks. We'll see if it actually arrives today. Nobody has ever called to say it is coming today or what time. I had to call twice 2 weeks ago and someone from chess mentioned today but said that someone would call to confirm (they didn't). For the amount I am paying and the recommendation on this board, I would have expected much better service.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi tricialu

I am sorry to hear about the poor service your have gotten on your move.

I am rather shocked at the fact that they gave you an arrival date in October and it has taken until almost the end of January to get the delivery to you?

What is Rainer saying the delays are? They must give you a clear understanding why it has taken so long for your goods to get to you.

They and their agent in Australia need to account for the goods whereabouts and the reason for the delays.

I cannot understand how no one communicate to you at all concerning delays.

I know getting to the bottom of your situation is not going to get your goods to you any sooner but someone else that comes here and is considering using Rainer might find it useful in considering their services or how to prevent the same thing from happening to them.

Any clear information you can provide from Rainer and its agent will help others moving to Australia.

Thanks

Return to “International Moves”