mobile

Recommend a mover from GA to OH

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Recommend a mover from GA to OH

Postby 2scared2move » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:02 pm

Hi,

I have contacted a lot of movers espeially by asking a quote from vanlines.com. I got replies from a dezen movers atleast and don't know who to decide. I have last two quotes from White GLove and US1-van Lines of GA. I found out that both the companies are not good so I am stuck and don't know what to do. I have to move on 9th December as I have to join on 12th in any case. I have got a quote from North American Vanlines also but their quote is about 500 bucks more than what these other companies have quoted me. Please help me here.

TIA
2scared2move

Re: Recommend a mover from GA to OH

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:13 pm

Matt, guest2/3

Nows your chance to shine.

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:21 pm

Hi TIA,

First of all, don't use a moving company that contact you through 123movers.com! Those estimates are low because they are low-ball bids to get you to sign on. The price would change when your belongings are loaded. Full service moving companies are not inexpensive. Don't short yourself or you'll just end up paying for it later.

Since you're moving so soon you don't have a lot of time to plan so if you could provide some further information, the volunteers here can help you sort out your options. First of all, approximately how much inventory are you looking at? Have you had any in-home estimates or have they all been online estimates? Given that this is such short notice, could you pack and load/unload yourself if you had to? What are the zip codes that you're moving from/to and what weight and price did North American give to you on their estimate?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby 2scared2move » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:27 pm

Thanks for replying Tim. I am moving from 30004 to 44313. I don't have too much stuff to move. I have approximately 10 24x18x24 inch boxes, 1 24x20x24 inch box and 3-4 small boxes. In the furniture i have one three seater sofa, one small dining table with four chairs, one crib and a couple of tables here and there. I have one 25inch TV and a microwave oven. The total weight I think should not exceed 2000lbs. But the NA Van Lines guy gave me a quote based on 3400 lbs which is surprising.
2scared2move

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:41 pm

So, am I far off to assume that NAVL estimated around $2000? Are you already packed? In regards to the weight, I would bet that your belongings weigh more than you think that they do. It may be too late, but if you can get a Guaranteed Not to Exceed estimate from NAVL then you'd only pay for your weight, UP TO the estimated amount. In other words, you could pay less than the estimate but you won't pay more (additional charges such as a shuttle, if needed, aren't included in any kind of estimate).

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby 2scared2move » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:46 pm

NAVL estimated about the same. Their estimate is about 2080 something. They have given me a contract which says that this price is valid for 3400 lbs.
2scared2move

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:49 pm

Who's the NAVL agent?

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby 2scared2move » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:52 pm

Beltmann Group, Inc.
2scared2move

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:17 pm

Broadway Express could move you to OH for $1014. This is the price for their minimum 5 linear feet. Although I think you have a little bit less than that, your boxes alone will take up 1 linear foot. I recommend that you call them as soon as possible (800-962-6683) to get a formal quote. Weight is irrelevant when you move with a freight company like BE. Even adding labor to help you load and unload the truck, and hiring the BE driver for $30/hour, the whole thing shouldn't cost you more than $1500 and you would get a high-quality move, judging from the 170 mostly good reviews posted on this website.

The other thing you could do is call ABF at www.upack.com for a quote on a mobile storage container, since they hold up to 4 linear feet or about 2000 pounds. See ABF review #23 for photos and details.

Both of these companies can usually accommodate people on short notice, but it would be important to call them ASAP.
Diane

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:25 pm

I agree with Diane. I'm sure that Beltmann could handle your move successfully if you need the full-service, but I think that with your small shipment you'd be able to work with a company like BE or ABF U-Pack and save some money. It sounds like the only item that you may need help loading would be the sofa.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby 2scared2move » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:10 pm

I actually contacted both BE and ABF today. BE said they can't arrange for a truck at this short notice. ABF gave me a quote of $1150 for the travel from GA to OH. I was looking at the emove for getting some help for loading / unloading the stuff. I was probably looking at about two hours with 2 people.

I am not too worried about the sofa as it is not at all heavy. My main worries are about the crib and TV. As they would need to go with proper packaging and I don't have the boxes for them. Are there some companies which can help pack the stuff and load them. I was looking at emove and their is no way to contact those people prior to booking. I don't have the Akron apartment address yet as I have not decided the apartment yet. Please don't get annoyed by my lack of knowledge in this area.

Thanks in advance.
2scared2move

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:35 pm

What day do you want to move? Friday December 9th? Are you in Alpharetta? I agree with the person who posted above that "Matt" (Guest2 and Guest3) could do a good deed by stepping in here to help you find workers to pack and load, since I think he is in Atlanta.

I think the ABF mobile storage container makes a lot of sense because they can hold the container for a while until you find an apartment.

I inputted your zipcode on eMove.com and a couple of companies that look good to me came up. One is Judy's in Porterdale and the other is Phoenix in Atlanta. I know that Porterdale is pretty far from you but they did say that they service your zipcode for both packing and loading. If you want to use eMove, I would suggest contacting one of those two companies since they have a LOT of reviews.
Diane

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:36 pm

I'm not aware of any "packing" companies for household goods unless you hire a couple of guys from NAVL or one of your other local moving companies. They should at least be able to provide you with packing supplies and tips for your TV and crib even if you don't hire them to do the packing.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:38 pm

Actually I was surprised to see that people can get help with packing from eMove Moving Helpers (as they call them).
Diane

Postby twalker » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 pm

Thanks Diane!

Tim
twalker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Community