mobile

Moving from South Florida to GA - HELP!!!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from South Florida to GA - HELP!!!

Postby IsaacMar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:55 am

Hi, I'm moving from South Florida to GA and need help locating a reputable mover. I've heard horror stories and would like to avoid problems. My wife does not want to deal with any aspect of the move as with a two year old would provide too much stress. I currenlty have two companies scheduled for inhouse quotes (Joyce and A-1-A Atlantic (Mayflower agent).

Any information on these two companies )negative/positive)? Your help would be appreciated as My moving date is approaching. Any others recommended?

Thanks!
IsaacMar

Re: Moving from South Florida to GA - HELP!!!

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:18 pm

Be careful because you are in a hotbed of scammers. Here is a post in which I brought together names of some companies that have good reviews and comments on this board - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7170#47170 Be sure to focus on the ones that did interstate rather than local moves.

Just off the top of my head, I would think that Suddath (United) would be a safe choice because they have offices in both Miami and Atlanta, but there are many others. People (long-haul drivers) have said good things about Joyce, although we have no actual reviews as yet. I don't know anything about the Mayflower agent you mention.

Whichever company you choose, please come back and tell us how it goes.
Diane

Postby IsaacMar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:37 pm

Thanks for the info, it's pretty scary, I'll at those companies referenced on the link you sent me. Is it normal for a company like Mayflower to use an agent like A-1-A Atlantic in florida? That's who responded to our estimate request from Mayflower.
Hope to hear from anyone with experience with either Joyce or A-1-A Atlantic (Mayflower).

Isaac :|
Isaac Marquez
IsaacMar

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Yes, when you input your contact information into the Mayflower Van Lines website, the van line (like all van lines) will contact an agent near you to get in touch with you. The van line itself never books any moves. But since we know nothing about that particular agent, my advice would be to call Suddath United as well, and also an Atlas agent in or near Miami. As my review thead indicates, A-1 Fargo in Miami and A-1 Moving and Storage in Jupiter have performed well for people here. I don't think we're likely to have any reviews of Joyce anytime soon but in my own mind I think they are good. They have a location in Atlanta.
Diane

Postby IsaacMar » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:08 pm

I've contacted Suddath and will contact the other's shortly. I hope to post my experience with them in the near future. :)
Isaac Marquez
IsaacMar

Postby IsaacMar » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:22 am

I have received an estimate from Suddath (United Van Lines). It's very reasonable and the sales person (Dan) seemed very professional. He estimated $7800 for My in-laws (about 13k lbs) and my house (about 6800 lbs). He specified everything that was included and gave us a not-to-exceed estimate. Does anyone have any information on this particualr agent out of Deerfield Beach?

Thanks!
Isaac Marquez
IsaacMar

Postby IsaacMar » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:47 pm

Sorry for taking so long to post (here's the latest)

I had received a not to exceed estimate for around $2750 (from Suddath). Turns out one of the pices of furniture we were taking is useless (a mattress/boxspring) and the lawnmower had gas in it so we could not take that. They packed a few things including the TV, some paintings, and a large mirror (my wife packed most of the house up while I was at work over a period of two to three weeks- 3/2 house).

When I received a call today from Olive at Suddath (very nice lady, that told me I would receive a call today after the weigh in), she said the total was for $2522 (which is less than we all expected). I should also tell you that my in-laws are also moving with the same truck (a huge house with tons of furniture est. 16k lbs) and they're paying around $7800 w/insurance).

All in all everyone in the family seems to be very satisfied with their work packing/loading and the estimates.

The moment of truth will be when they get there on Friday to deliver my in-laws and on sat to do ours. Will update as soon as possible.
Isaac Marquez
IsaacMar

Postby IsaacMar » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:51 pm

So here's the final response on this move. I was not at home when Suddath picked up, but my wife says they were very good (very professional).
I was however at home for the delivery and I have to say they were just as my wife described. For a 3/2 the started at around 8:30 and by noon they had unloaded the truck where I had asked them to unload. They setup all my furniture and were very organized. They took care not to damage the inside of the house (i have wooden floorsdownstairs and carpet upstairs). All in all I was very happy with the service provided by Suddath in Deerfield. The driver and everyone else we dealt with were very professional(Anthony, Clyde, Dante (unloading) ,Julio (loading), Olive customer service and Dan sales rep.

Hope this helps someone considering a mover in South Florida.

If you need a reference please send me a private message.
Isaac Marquez
IsaacMar

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks so much for this excellent review which I will add to my summary post on FL movers. I note that this branch of Suddath already has two other good reviews here for interstate moves so it looks like a winner to me.
Diane

Postby Florida Guy » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:24 pm

Can you please give me the specific contact information for this company, I have to move from Miami to Minnesota and the prices along with the scammers are unbelievable!

Thanks
Florida Guy

Postby Diane » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:20 pm

As a matter of principle, MovingScam.com does not endorse any full-service mover. However, below is the most recent version of my summary post on moving companies in South Florida with good reviews and comments here. You should focus on companies that have done interstate and not local moves for people. All I know about Suddath is that it is in Deerfield Beach. If cost is a concern you might want to consider using the freight company Broadway Express.
Diane wrote:SOUTH FLORIDA (Dade and Broward Counties)

Allied Van Lines agents

--AA Varco Moving & Storage (Allied) in Pompano Beach.
This company has excellent quality scores from the van line. A person who works for another Allied agent ("PMueller") posted that the owner, Joe Varco, is a quality driver who left the agency he was with to start his own company several years ago. We have no reviews as yet.

Atlas Van Lines agents

--A-1 Fargo (Atlas) in Miami and Pompano.
This company (Miami branch) won a quality award from the van line in 2005.
We have one good review:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6010 (interstate)

--Ace Worldwide (Atlas) in Miami.
"Rick" made good remarks about the company, and we have one good review:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6180 (interstate)

--LaMar Transfer (Atlas) in Miami.
Good comments about an interstate move in a private message to me from "Newlyblond" in 11/05 - "I had [a] great experience . . . when I moved up here [to Long Island] from Florida 6 years ago! For the record, the company I used was called LaMar Transfer (out of Miami) and they are still in business. If you see any posts from anyone moving from the Miami area, I'll be happy to correspond with them about LaMar."
Note that the above review is very old.

Bekins Van Lines agents

--Bekins South Florida in Miami.
I'm not sure of the location of this company (it could be in Fort Lauderdale), so ask for Bob Jones.
We have one good review:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5721 (move within FL)

Graebel agents

--Graebel of South Florida in Miami.
We have good remarks about this company by "Michael" (a volunteer who works for an Atlas agent in Raleigh, NC).

Paul Arpin Van Lines agents

--Joe's Moving and Storage (Paul Arpin) in Miami.
There is one good review by "FrustratedMover" (Gabriella) for a move within FL:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4491 (move within FL)

United Van Lines agents

--Suddath (United) in Deerfield Beach.
Suddath is a very large United agent and has been jokingly said to "own" Florida. We have three good reviews of interstate moves with this branch.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5533 (interstate)
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6013 (interstate)
"IsaacMar" posted a rave review of a move from Miami to Atlanta:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7029 (interstate)

I advise against using the independent company Coral Springs Moving in Coral Springs (Miami area) because of several service failures reported on this board.
Diane

Return to Open Community