Hilldrup versus JK movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Hilldrup versus JK movers

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:23 am

My husband and I are moving from Northern Virginia to Scottsdale, Arizona in a couple weeks. We initially decided to go with Hilldrup movers (United), as their estimate was about $1,000 less than all the others we received. On their estimate, it states that the estimate is a "Bound Estimate -- Option C Comparison". In the notes section it states that the estimate is a "not to exceed estimate." We were told that our estimate was indeed a not to exceed, but I was just wondering if anyone knows that the whole "Option C" thing refers to. We weren't given any literature explaining what "Option C Comparison" actually means, but I am assuming that it refers to a binding not to exceed estimate. Can anyone confirm that?

Also, another company we received an estimate from, JK Movers (Sterling, VA) called today indicating they will be willing to match the lowest quote we received. They have been very responsive about getting our bussiness -- which company would be better? Hilldrup, or JK? We need to make our decision this week, as we are moving on February 7th. Advice?

Nancy

Re: Hilldrup versus JK movers

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:41 am

I think you would have a successful move with either company. They are both reputable. JK even had a visit from President Bush recently!

http://www.officemoves.com

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:59 am

Guest, Option C is indeed a Binding Not to Exceed estimate. See this post, where I tried to list the terms that different van lines use for various types of estimates - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 5876#45876 I added the phrase you mentioned to my list there.

I agree with Nancy that either company would probably do a great job for you.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:57 pm

One of the main differences between the two companies will be that JK will be in charge of the move the entire time, since it is an independant mover. Hilldrup is an agent of United Van Lines. They may pick up the load, have a driver employed by United drive it to AZ, and an agent there will do the unloading.

Thye both have VERY good reputations.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:42 pm

Thank you so much for your comments! I think we decided to go with Hilldrup, however, we got the contract in the mail today and it wasn't signed by the movers. Isn't it a BIG no-no to sign a contract not already signed by the moving company?

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The lack of signature is not a huge deal to me.

Be sure that the dates are correct, addresses, and the price is exactly what you agreed to. They issued the contract, it is valid.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:25 pm

Okay. I just worry that they will add something to it after we send it back signed, and then sign it themselves. You don't think that is something that will happen then? Am I paranoid or what?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:42 am

I don't think Hilldrup will do that to you. They haven't earned a great reputation by scamming a few clients here and there.

Fran66

Postby Fran66 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:43 am

I coordinate moves for a large relocation co and it is my experience you get either a binding or not to exceed...not both. Also, I have learned there is no such thing as a not to exceed with movers, because if something(which it always does) changes, the not to exceed is "out the window". They all run on a similar tarriff so the price is based on the discount.
If an independent with a good reputation is willing to match the discount of a van line I would take it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:13 pm

So I guess "Fran66" would recommend going with JK Moving over Hilldrup. Odd that Fran is posting from a location near Sterling, VA, where JK is located, and from the same IP address as "Clyde 62" in this other post, which also favors JK (over Beltway in that case) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1204#51204

Even odder is that "Fran" claims to be a relocation consultant while "Clyde" says he is just a person who did a recent move. I wonder whether either of them know "sherri14," who wrote in from the mail system at JK Moving to say that she herself used JK's rival Town and County (why?) and had a horrible experience, while her sister recently moved with JK Moving and had a great move - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1243#51243

This statement is also very misleading:
Fran66 wrote:Also, I have learned there is no such thing as a not to exceed with movers, because if something(which it always does) changes, the not to exceed is "out the window".

I believe that it is actually quite rare for a reputable company (like Hilldrup, for example) to void a GNTE estimate. In my 2-1/2 years following this messageboard, I can't remember one case where that happened. In one or two cases, a company made a mistake and tried to charge the customer for more weight thinking that the customer had a Nonbinding estimate, but then corrected itself when it became clear that the customer in fact had a GNTE.
Last edited by Diane on Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:15 am

I hope JK reins in this poster, it's putting a cloud over their reputation.

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:58 am

Just checking back in to say that our move with Hilldrup went very well. They arrived on time to load all of our stuff. There were a bunch of guys and at first I was really worried that everything was going to be broken, but nothing was -- no scratches! They also delivered on time and unloaded in a quick fashion. I never actually saw the weigh in slip, but I did call Hilldrup to see if our load was any less (since we had a binding not to exceed), and they informed me that the weight was only one pound more. Not sure if I totally believe that, but since the price was right and they did a good job, I didn't really care. I reccommend Hilldrup.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi - thanks so much for getting back to us. If you see this, was the driver from Hilldrup or from United Van Lines? Was the driver who picked up your things the same driver who delivered them in AZ?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

westhuna

Postby westhuna » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:55 pm

JK MOVERS NOT RECOMMENDED. My family and I have had a horrible move with JK. Almost everything went wrong on our move: sloppy coordination, no adequate information on the fine print, unprofessional packing resulting in significant damages, delayed delivery and a total price that by far exceeded the estimate! No customer service. No help. No willigness to resolve the problem - but a lot of lip service and unwillingness to address the issues. This is why I will never choose JK again - despite all the positive feedback and recommendations.
Last edited by westhuna on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:42 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Community”