Florida to Costa Rica

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Jonesnessl

Florida to Costa Rica

Postby Jonesnessl » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:13 pm

After narrowly avoiding accepting a quote to move my belongings from Unitrans/Globex (phew, thanks!) I now have to find a new mover in less than a week....anyone have a recommendation?

Noone

Re: Florida to Costa Rica

Postby Noone » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:10 am

Read the sticky on the top pf the international moves forum on how to find a international mover. Florida has alot of "less than desirable" companies, so be prepared for an actual price from a legitimate freight forwarder.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:01 am

Also, any agent of a major van line can do it. They pick up your load, the van line itself ships it, and gets a company in the new country to deliver it. Diane has a list of well-reviewed movers in FL, I think all of them are van line agents.

intlmover

Postby intlmover » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Jonesnessl wrote:After narrowly avoiding accepting a quote to move my belongings from Unitrans/Globex (phew, thanks!) I now have to find a new mover in less than a week....anyone have a recommendation?

Give Ace World Wide in Deerfield Beach or Orlando a call whichever is closest
Orlando 800-929-4223 ask for Emmy Reid
Deerfield Beach 954-570-1150 ask for Ann or Barb

Jonesnessl

Postby Jonesnessl » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 pm

After what felt like a billion quotes, and having all but 4 (out of what was really 37) turn up negative ratings here...(well I do live in Florida after all!!) I went with Ranier. Cesar Castro was fantastic. He knew the company i work for and had moved a bunch of our high level execs (several times each) and so I felt very reassured. Ranier used local company LTV International out of Miami (FIDI member), and the movers were courteous, efficient and quite honestly a pleasure to do business with.

Will keep posting as my belongings make their way to Costa Rica :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:52 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. Please also post your final costs as I've heard that going with FIDI members can be expensive. Is your company paying for this move?

Jonesnessl

Postby Jonesnessl » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:06 pm

It is a company paid move, however one that I have to foot the bill for first, then be reimbursed. I really wanted to keep the cost down for that reason alone! The cost on the move was $3075, with $25 per $1000 value for insurance. Seeing I am mostly moving clothing, kitchen wares, and a bed and sofa (about 1250 lbs) ...not too much needed. I also got a quote from Suddath International (also FIDI) out of Jacksonville, who were only slightly higher, but had problems getting timely responses for their quote from their Costa Rican agent....made me nervous! I also have to say that Stevens International gave me a great quote too, and their customer service from Alan Fuchs was top notch - I was just under too many time constraints to work around their schedule. I fly out tomorrow!

Return to “International Moves”