advice on claiming insurance on broken items

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
Zancuda

advice on claiming insurance on broken items

Postby Zancuda » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:44 pm

I just unwrapped a couple of items from our international move and found they were damaged. They are wooden carvings we picked up while traveling in Thailand. I specifically pointed them out to the agent who did the in-home survey (for the quote) as being our favorite possesions and being very fragile. They are very intricate carvings with many small protruding pieces of wood. When I unwrapped them, I found several pieces had broken off on each one. It has been a while since the original delivery, but I know the pieces were damaged during shipment because I kept the packages carefully tucked away, untouched in their original shipping packaging, until I had the proper place to put the carvings. It's upsetting because it turns out they were the only things broken in the shipment--all our dishes and fragile mirrors made it fine.

I used Rainier and sent them an email and fax about the problem, asking about how to file a claim for the value of the pieces. I haven't heard back, and it's been a few days. I'm wondering if someone can give me advice on the best way to pursue a claim?

MusicMom

Re: advice on claiming insurance on broken items

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 pm

Has it been more than 9 months?

claim

Postby claim » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:31 pm

MusicMom wrote:Has it been more than 9 months?

9 months?? most insurance companys give you 45 days from the time of delivery to file a claim. - check Rainers site to see if they have a link to any claim procedures.
intlmover signed in as guest...

Zancuda

Postby Zancuda » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:07 am

It's been more than 45 days, but less than 9 months. Delivery was in mid or late Nov, so just under 4 months. It took us a while to get settled--we bought all new furniture--and I spent a month away in the States. We just bought our last pieces of furniture earlier this month. Since these are our favorite pieces, I waited until I knew just where I wanted to put them before I unwrapped them. I know it's been a while, but I would hope Rainier would work with me on this. I did list these items specifically on my insurance form and valued them at $700, which is about what we paid for them--in Thailand. They would be much more to replace from Switzerland. (Actually, in my mind they are irreplaceable.)

I already checked the RainierOS website. It's is pretty sparse--couldn't really find anything useful there.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:51 am

You might be hard pressed to get the claim resolved unless you notified Ranier within the time period- If its a small amount most companys would just pay it out (under a few hundred dollars) if its a large claim you should have let them know right away. Most insurance companys will be very unwilling to settle a claim especially since you went beyond the normal scope of filing.

Zancuda wrote:It's been more than 45 days, but less than 9 months. Delivery was in mid or late Nov, so just under 4 months. It took us a while to get settled--we bought all new furniture--and I spent a month away in the States. We just bought our last pieces of furniture earlier this month. Since these are our favorite pieces, I waited until I knew just where I wanted to put them before I unwrapped them. I know it's been a while, but I would hope Rainier would work with me on this. I did list these items specifically on my insurance form and valued them at $700, which is about what we paid for them--in Thailand. They would be much more to replace from Switzerland. (Actually, in my mind they are irreplaceable.)

I already checked the RainierOS website. It's is pretty sparse--couldn't really find anything useful there.

Zancuda

Postby Zancuda » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:17 am

Thanks for your thoughts. Is this intlmover again, or another guest?

Well, I do hope Rainier will work with me on this. But I still have yet to even get a response...

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:18 am

So International moving has a 45 day window? All I had heard was a 9 month timeframe for interstate moves. I stand corrected. I'm glad you pros are around.

xxx

Comment

Postby xxx » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 am

<removed post>

Return to “International Moves”