Beware OrbitzMoving.com

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies
dsquaredl2

Beware OrbitzMoving.com

Postby dsquaredl2 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:24 pm

My family will be moving from Maryland to Georgia at the end of June or early July.

While searching for information on moving companies, I ran across a site called OrbitzMoving.com. Foolishly trusting the Orbitz name, I registered with them. Have received numerous e-mails and phone calls, several from companies that are on MovingScam's Blacklist, and others that insist on doing inventory either by phone or e-mail and charging based on cubic feet. I have sent links to MovingScam.com and asked for responses from these companies. Of course they all deny the allegations. One guy claiming to "run a multi-million dollar company" called me within minutes of getting my e-mails (I don't know anybody that runs a multi-million dollar company that has the time to call a customer directly over a simple question!). He was rather huffy with me when he insisted that it is perfectly legal for them to quote my move based on volume rather than weight if it is in their tarriff. He said if I didn't "trust" them, I shouldn't do business with them. (To which I replied, "yes, you're right about that!")

I tried to contact the OrbitzMoving.com site through the e-mail address they listed, and the message bounced back as undeliverable.

Companies that have contacted me as a result of this inquiry include:

USA Express Moving
Good Samaritan Moving and Storage
Universal Van Lines
BViva Moving Company
Omega Van Lines
Legal Transportation
The Moving Experts

Thanks to the info you provide on this site, I am avoiding every one of these companies! Still looking for reputable movers. Would appreciate any suggestions.

consumer advocate

Re: Beware OrbitzMoving.com

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:20 pm

Glad you're finding this site helpful and glad you'll be avoiding the scammers who contacted you through Orbitzmoving.

If you go to the Open community section of this forum you'll find a thread there titled "summary of moving company reviews posted on movingscam." One of our hard-working and dedicated volunteers, Diane, has put together this list. You will find movers listed for Maryland that have gotten both bad and good reviews. That list should be helpful for you in selecting a mover in your area.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:30 pm

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:37 pm

On Orbitzmoving.com:

The site is registeretely privately. They do, however, say on their "About us" page:
Orbitz Moving strives to be a simple solution for both our customers and our moving companies. With our state of the art technology we are revolutionizing the way people buy and sell services. Our concept is simple. We connect people to prescreened moving companies they can trust. Our service is fast and free to its customers.

Orbitz Moving is privately owned and operated. We are a subsidiary of a larger conglomerate company, Precision Management LLC, headquartered in Washington, D.C. Our team is dedicated to providing its customers with the highest quality of service possible. It is our goal to ensure that as a customer you are completely satisfied.

The same wording is found on a site to find home contractors, yourservicenetwork.com, also privately registered, but through another company. That site has a "career" page, offering positions in their Charlotte, MC office.

There is no listing in DC, VA, or MD for Precision Management LLC. The one Precision Management I found in Alexandria is of no relation.

I do not think this is an intentional scam, like vanlines.com or 123movers.com, just another place to sell ads that doesn't realize who they've admitted as partners.

Return to “Report A Scam”