mobile

FL-CA move - Report of quote and move experience.

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

FL-CA move - Report of quote and move experience.

Postby gobrons » Sun May 07, 2006 5:42 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to report my experience with a move from FL to CA.

Because of good past experiences (one from IN to IL, another one from IL to FL) , I kinda stick with United Van Lines, so I requested quotes for full service (packing & loading) from 3 of their agents:
- SUDATH - Boca Raton - $5,800 Binding NTE - 6,800#
- Johnny moving and storage - $6,800 Binding - 7,400#
- Armstrong relocation - $5,600 + 10% Binding - 6,800#

At the end, I chose SUDDATH and was very happy with their services:
- carefull packing and loading,
- great professional people,
- good communication from start to end with Vicky from the Boca office,
- good communication with the driver,
- fast delivery (7 days exactly).

More on the +10% of Armstrong... When I moved from Chicago to Ft Lauderdale, I had a United agent that gave me the same type of NTE quote with a 110% clause... at the end, you pay 110% of the amount or a 10% extra compared to the quoted price, just because! So be warry of such kind of clause.

I also chose DAS (Dependable Auto Shipper) to ship my car, I will report the results when I get it back.

Sincerely,

Stephane
gobrons

Re: FL-CA move - Report of quote and move experience.

Postby Diane » Sun May 07, 2006 1:57 pm

Hi - thanks so much for this good report, which I'll add to my summary post on FL movers. I gather that Suddath moved you using its own Suddath truck and driver (?). Your report has pushed Suddath into our "Very Good Performer" category (companies that have at least 5 good reviews on this website and no credible bad reviews).

I'll also add a note about the kind of estimate Armstrong gave you. It appears that they added 10% to the Nonbinding quote to make it a Binding quote, which is legal but it would have been nice if they had also made it a BNTE.

And I'll mention Johnny's Moving & Storage in Hollywood.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby gobrons » Mon May 08, 2006 2:15 am

Thanks Diane, great job on your side to compile all the reviews.
gobrons

Postby Diane » Mon May 08, 2006 2:30 am

Thanks, I needed that! It's quite a job (especially the New York section) but I think it will pay off in the end. I like the fact that it's a "grass roots" type project based on believable reviews.
Diane

Postby gobrons » Sat May 20, 2006 1:13 pm

DAS auto Shippers / Dependable Auto Shippers
http://www.dasautoshippers.com

Independent thread at:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9435#59435

I just received my car from DAS/ Dependable Auto Shippers, and it is pretty much in the same condition I gave it in: no additional scratches, no ding, all my stuff I had in my trunk is there. They even did a good car wash before giving it back.

The price was obtained from their website, and no funny game there. I did a terminal to terminal move to save money and it was good: $850 with insurance, vs. $1,250-$1,400 with movers.

Hope it helps.
Sincerely,

Stephane
gobrons

Postby Diane » Sat May 20, 2006 1:35 pm

It does help - thanks.

BTW there was a bad report on Johnny's posted after your comments above. Did you get any kind of bad vibe from them? See below:

"David N" moving from Seattle warned against Johnny's, which delivered his shipment when a United long-haul truck broke down. "Their workers were very crude, talking and joking about women with me just standing there, thinking I’d participate apparently. . . . they scuffed my couch and nearly broke my dresser.":
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8255 (interstate)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby gobrons » Fri May 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi again,

Actually, Johnny's rep seemed OK, I just felt a lot more confortable with Suddath's rep, and price was cheaper.

After I made my choice, Johnny's rep called me and I informed him I choose someone else, and he stayed very polite and did not tried to force me another way. He just asked how competititve his quote was and I let him know. Altogether he was a close second.
Sincerely,

Stephane
gobrons

Return to Open Community