moving from New York to Pakistan

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
miqqy

moving from New York to Pakistan

Postby miqqy » Wed May 31, 2006 12:45 pm

Hi,

I am moving from New York to Pakistan, and do not have that much stuff to move. The contents that I would like to ship include a drumset, 3 guitars, my computers, and miscillaneous books/clothes. It's going tocome out to about 10 or 12 boxes (300 lbs, 150 cubic ft). I have been looking into shipping companies and have received quotes of around $2000 to ship this stuff. Does anyone have any idea whether there are better options in terms of shipping things over? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Miq

MusicMom

Re: moving from New York to Pakistan

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Do you ahve hard cases for your drums and guitars? They will get jostled.

Noone

Postby Noone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:37 am

That seems about right for getting that stuff that far.
You could probably ship more stuff for about the same price, as it seems they are quoting you on a minimum of 150 cubic feet.

miqqy

Postby miqqy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:43 am

Well, I dont have a hardcase for the drums.. I have the original packing that it came in though, so Im going to ship it in that. Any idea which are the better shipping companies? Right now I have quotes from Meyer's Moving, IntlMove, and Globex. However, Globex and IntlMove are quoting on 300 cubic feet.

IntlMove's quote is:

The quote is for 300 CFT, door to door service $1,740.00 + 125 + GRA 9% + PSS 6% = $2,155.00 (PSS only applies to moves during May – August)

If you add packing, insurance, or the volume increases the cost be calculated as follows: $1740 + 125+ packing costs + insurance + 9% +6% = cost.

Optional Additions:

Packing: The packing rate is listed on the quote $2/CFT furniture wrapping; $4/CFT packing of boxes – labor and material included in the rates.

Insurance: The insurance rate is 3.5% of the total declared value + $65.00. Our minimum insurance charge is $240.00 which is based on $5,000.00 TDV (Total Declared Value). Any value up to and including $5,000.00 TDV will cost $240.00. Insurance TDV of $5,001.00 and higher will be charged at 3.5% of your TDV + $65.00.

My question is that if I don't have them pack, is the insurance valid?? I thought they wouldn't be liable if things were packed by the client.

Does anyone have any "favorite" shipping companies? I am really a newbie at this shipping thing, so I have no idea whether I'm being taken for a ride ro what. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Miq

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:03 am

I know for a fact that Globex should be avoided, it's Unitrans International, and not the reputable one. REad up on it here:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5134
[And for the record, I have not yet been contacted by the FBI to correct my posted information, as threatened by the owner of Unitrans/Globex]

Meyer's Moving and IntlMove seem oK, though.

HardAtWork can comment on the specifics of the quotes.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:02 pm

OK first you should contact the three favorite moving companies on this website for a price also:

Rainier Overseas Movers
Contact Doug Wiviott
at 800-426-9928 x220
www.rainieros.com

Security Relocation Group
Contact John Schafer
at 800-345-0673
www.wemove4u.com

Stevens International
Contact Michelle Dillon
at 800-316-1065 or 260-244-7004
www.stevensworldwide.com
155 Diplomat Drive, Suite D
Columbia City, IN 46725

In regards to Intlmove I have not found anything much on them except there is a report on them on Rip Off Report, read it and decide for yourself if it is important to you or not.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/view.asp?id=188742

You might also want to call the Federal Maritime Commission and see if they have any report of complaints on the movers you are thinking of usin. Check out www.fmc.gov

Now in regards the quote for Intlmove, what have they included in the quote as fas as services they are prefroming for you from Door to Door? Also as important are what are they excluding in their quote to you?

The insurance rate they are charging is way to high. Normal transit insurance will cost 2.5 % and no legit mover charge a processing fee on top of the insurance coverage.. I would avoid them just for the insurance rate. Such a high rate may mean they have had a lot of claims so they cost is higher than normal it either that or they are just ripping off the client.

You are correct a legit international mover will not insured your goods unless you have them pack the goods. This way the mover can check was is being move for damages prior to packing and can insure the goods are packed correctly for international transportation.

Another thing about the quote you posted is all these extra fees. They should offer you a Door to Door price period no add ons. They should also just set the insurance rate as a % of your value. I have no problem with a minimum charge but no way a client needs to pay extra fees on the insurance.

With any international move I always say the international movers MUST do an in house estimate before you sign any agreements with them to move. You can get estimates based on information you supply but NEVER agrre to a move until the international mover has sent an estimator out to your home and confirms in writting based on the survey of your residence they costs are. A lot of the internet only international scammers or sorry meant movers do not want to do an in house estimate as they will not be able to scam you after they have your goods by saying the quote no longer applies because you add items or there was more packing or many many other excuses they use.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask

miqqy

Postby miqqy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:58 am

Hi,

MusicMom and hardatwork, thanks a lot for your help! I got a quote from Rainier and it doesn't seem to be that bad ($9.5/Cf for door to port -- with door to port shipping is it worth getting insurance? I was told that claims are hard to make with door to port shipping since you are responsible for clearing the shipment and for the final transport to the delivery location). I did manage to get a shipping contact from people i know in Pakistan, and they got me in touch with American Shipping Line. Do either of you know anything about that company?

Thanks again,
Miq

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:03 pm

American Shipping Lines I do not know but looking at their website I see they are a freight company not an international mover. A freight company is not so easy to wrk with as they expect you know everything about international shipping. You will need to ask them for their OTI License Number to confirm they have a license. If you get the number you can confirm it on www.fmc.gov or post it here and we can look it up for you. Before shipping with them ask them for your shipment will tehy CO Load the goods or ship in their own container as this will determine your final cost in Pakistan for agency fees. If they co load, which is my guess, you will have to pay costs to the shipping lines agent and their agent in Pakistan leading yo to pay more in fees.

You have to look over the insurance policy very carefully as you are correct in most cases on a Door to Port shipment you may have to note damages at the destination customs warehouse which acutally not be allow. You might want to also ask about Total Loss Insurance, which only covers you if the entire shipment is a total loss not insured for loss or damages to the contents if any of the goods arrive at destination.

In regards the Rainer quote why are they only offering a Door to Port rate to you?? Did they explain theat you will be liable for additiona costs to the shipping lines agent in Pakistan plus warehouse fees, etc upon arrival in Pakistan?

miqqy

Postby miqqy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:45 am

So after much deliberation, I have finally decided to go with Ranier for my move to Pakistan. I am having my stuff shipped door to port. As far as I was told, from there I will be responsible for the customs clearing agent and delivery to my address in Karachi. I know of an agent in Karachi to get all of this done. The moving agent that will be collecting my stuff is Meyers Moving. I will post back on my experience with them upon successful delivery in Karachi. I just had a question, with a move of less that 200Cft of things that are on the most part already packed, what sort of tip is customary for the moving men? Also, what sort of information should I request of Ranier about the ship that will be delivering my shipment to Karachi?

MusicMom and hardatwork, thanks a lot for all your advice. It made the process thus far much easier.

Thanks,
miqqy

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:33 pm

Keep in mind that as your shipment is Port Only be sure that Rainer finds out the costs for terminals / port and unloading fees from the shipping lines agent in Pakistan that you will owe at the time of the arrival of your goods.

Rainer should be able to book your shipment with the shipping lines as I assume the shipment is going via a NVO (ocean freight consolidator) so they can advise you the vessel name, it’s departure date, and the arrival date. You might also want to confirm if the container is going directly to Karachi for off loading. You will also want to get the details for the shipping lines agent in Karachi that will be informing you of the arrival of your goods.

If you are absolutely certain that you will want the agent in Pakistan that you have in mind handle the clearance and delivery to you I would suggest you ask Rainer to be sure to show them as the notify party on the bill of lading to ease notification in Pakistan. If you are not 100 % certain then I would say do not do it.

You will need to ask what type of bill of lading your shipment be moved on with the shipping lines

1. Express Bill of Lading. You will only need a copy of this type to claim the cargo in Pakistan. It can be a faxed or email copy to claim the cargo.

2. An Original Bill of Lading which means you will need the original signed bill of lading from Rainer in order to claim your goods in Pakistan.

Make sure that on the inventory that the movers write up at time of pick up includes the contents of each package\on it. DO NOT let them just write PBO (Packed By Owner) CU /CU (Contents and Conditions Unknown) they need to write contents likes Books -
Clothes first then if they want to write PBO or CU / CU that is fine. They just need to be sure the contents are listed on the inventory s0 you will have a easier time with customs. You will need to be sure to write a description on the cartons to make it easier for the movers to do this.

Did Rainer let you know what documentation you will need to arrange customs clearance in Pakistan? I know they are not arranging the clearance for you but they should have what documentation you will need anyway.

Good luck with the move and please let us know how it alls turns out for you in the end

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:06 pm

I once spent the better part of a day in the Customs Offices in Karachi and it was one of the most memorable days of my life. I was trying to clear a La-Z-Boy chair for a friend who said they were not available in Pakistan. (This was about 20 years ago.)

The "books" were kept manually in a dimly-lit room by a hunched-over person who looked as if he hadn't seen the sun in years. There were no computers at that time or even a hand-held calculator, as I recall. When I objected to the amounts of baksheesh (bribe money) that were being demanded of me, the guy who was walking me through it snapped at me indignantly, "Don't you see all the people that I have to pay off?"

Finally I was told that if I would go out with the head customs inspector that night, the chair would sail through with no problem. (As I said, this was 20 years ago.) I declined and then I was told to claim that the chair had arrived broken and everything would go better for me. I can't remember whether I did or not. As I said, a very memorable experience.

Good luck - you'll need it.

miqqy

Postby miqqy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:40 pm

So this is the first time I got a chance to get online. Things have been quite hectic. I ended up going with Ranier for my International move to Pakistan, and they sent in Meyers Moving to handle my New York pickup. I was really happy with how quick and efficient they were. Everything was packed really well. Some of my guitars were in soft cases and I was a bit worried about how well they would be packed, but they did quite a good job. This is, however, my initial oppinion. I was get back to you on the condition that the shipment arrives in in Karachi. Ranier has been really good as well. I was dealing with Doug Wiviott and he was really quick in replying to emails and was readily available for whatever question I had. They picked up my shipment on the 30th of June, the shipment left New York on the 12th of July, and is scheduled to arrive in Karachi on the 9th of August.

I will get back to you guys letting you know how it ends up, and if I have some good stories from customs in Karachi, Pakistan.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really appreciated it.

Miq

Jiggyman

Postby Jiggyman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:11 am

Wondering if any one could please help me out with some direction. Intl Move picked up all my belongings and are now demanding money for all sorts of things that where not explained and cannot afford. Not sure what to do and or how to get my entire household back.....please help

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:07 am

Follow this link to the Federal Maritime Commission, FMC, and the US Federal Agency that oversees international ocean transportation from and into the United States. Their website is www.fmc.gov

They will assist you by contacting this mover on your behalf and try to assist in getting any disputes resolved for you.

Here is the link to follow:

http://www.fmc.gov/bureaus/OfficeofCons ... rvices.asp

If you could post back here with any updates it is appreciated as it might help someone else.

Good luck and I hope things work out quickly to your advantage.

Return to “International Moves”