mobile

LA to Boston quote #4

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

LA to Boston quote #4

Postby damfino » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:17 pm

I was pretty much ready to sign up with North American, and then for kicks, had Mayflower do an estimate (blue chip is their local agent). While the quote was higher $3400 + value insurance (NA was 3200 incl insurance) the Mayflower guy seemed much more thorough. (they even had the newly minted R&R book!). He took me through every step including home inventory, "high value items" and said he'd throw in the wardrobes for free, and even provide me with some boxes and packing paper. He also made note of my large screen (and quite heavy) TV, telling me there'd be an extra charge for packing it (NA was far more casual about it). Also, NA has a 3500 lb minimum, so even if I get the weight down below it, I'm still looking at that. The main difference was that NA offered at 64% discount while Mayflower said 59%, and seemed to think that 64% was unrealistic. He also promised delivery after 1 August, to avoid the much discussed Democratic Convention.

When all is said and done, we're looking at a difference of 300-400 bucks. Which in some ways isn't a lot of money, but in others, well, it is.
What do you ya'll think? This site has been so incredibly helpful.

damfino
ps And maybe all of us August Boston movers should get together, have a beer, swap stories, and enjoy the summer's end humidity!
damfino

Re: LA to Boston quote #4

Postby Tyrone » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:14 am

the Mayflower guy seemed much more thorough. (they even had the newly minted R&R book!)
\

YAAY! I am glad to hear that! Well done Mayflower!

64% discount is not unrealistic at all; it is just that since this is the heavy moving season, the laws of supply and demand kick in, in favor of the moving companies.

If I were to put on the ol' red & blue University cap I would postulate that The Summertime Moving Consumer Market Exhibits High Price Inelasticity of Demand... LOL
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.
Tyrone

Re: LA to Boston quote #4

Postby 23 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 7:41 am

Ditto to Tyrone!

A 64% discount does seem high being that the end of July is expected to be shut off for new bookings beginning in a couple weeks. Most van lines are filled to capacity all summer long, so the increased peak rates should be normal this summer. The rest of the year (Fall, Winter, Spring) a 64% discount is very normal, sometimes even a little higher coming out of CA!

Good luck and let us know how it all plays out!

Return to Open Community