mobile

Transamerica Moving, Inc. (S. California)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Transamerica Moving, Inc. (S. California)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:44 pm

I have heard horrible things about Trans America Van Lines but am wondering if anyone has had any experience with another company (with similar name) called Transamerica Moving, Inc., based out of Van Nuys, CA? They have an A rating with the BBB.

Any experiences you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Transamerica Moving, Inc. (S. California)

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:19 pm

DO you have a DOT or MC number?
Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:31 pm

I looked at their website and they say they have been in business since 1989. However, the BBB shows 2005. That's a red flag too me, lying on your website.

Where are you moving to and from? Can you go visit their office?

They also do not display any licenses for long distance moving on their site.
Nancy

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:48 pm

I am going to find out the DOT or MC number. I am going to try to schedule an in-home estimate as they have told me the only way they do long distance moves is "the estimator will take inventory of your home, and give you a NOT TO EXCEED quote which means we will not go over that price." I have read on this site that that is the best way to get an estimate.

They are located in Los Angeles (Van Nuys) and I am in Orange County. I could certainly take a drive to their office (it's a drive) but it would be worth it if we seriously think about using them. We are in Tustin, CA and are moving to Ft. Collins, CO.

I received a quote from NorthStar Moving Corp and they don't do in-home inspections, which is a red flag to me. They only do the non-binding estimate, which scares me.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm

There are many van lines right near Tustin. You should find someone locally there to come to your home. Transamerica has a few red flags for me.
Nancy

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:26 pm

They did provide me with their US Dot # 1437470 and told me that they have been in business since 1989 but opened with BBB in 2005.

When I pull up their US Dot #, the address is different than the one listed on BBB. Red flag to me! Thanks for your advise. I am looking into other companies based on recommendations on your site in my area....

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:09 pm

RUN!!! They have no license!~

http://tinyurl.com/f6bhd
Nancy

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:04 pm

Hey, good work, Nancy!
MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:08 pm

Having no license does not appear to bother them very much. They've had four roadwise inspections, three of them failed. The vehicle one happened in Arizona on March 14, for a truck with temporary CA plates. The driver also failed some things during that inspection, and failed again in Utah on April 21.

All of these travels are taking place without insurance. They could plow into a crowded parking lot and not be able to pay for a lick of damage, not to mention anything happening to the cargo they're carrying.
MusicMom

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:11 pm

Awww, thanks, I learned from the best!
Nancy

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:02 am

Thank you so much Nancy and MusicMom! I am having two companies that were listed on the state-by-state thread come out today to do in-home estimates. One is Atlantic Relocation Systems and the other Is Ace Relocation Systems. Both happen to be Atlas. I am looking into other possibilities and will keep the site posted of my experiences....

We were originally going to go with the pod/container thing, but due to logistics, it is just not going to work for us. Plus having to hire people on both ends to help load/unload the heavy furniture, rental of dollies/blankets/etc... it was just getting too overwhelming!

Thank you again for what you do!!!

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:28 pm

Please keep us informed of your choice and why, and if you're not too busy, an update after the move.
MusicMom

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 pm

Hello

I have been reading this forum and am a little confused: we live in Las Vegas and are using Transamerica for our move to Central Coast, CA. - are you guys trying to tell me that the reference letters on their site are fake and that they haven't been in business since 1989? Has there been anyone that has used them and has had a bad experience?

Thanks

Jerry

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:42 pm

They may have been in business since 1989 but they've only been authorized to do interstate moves since 07/07/06.
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ANSAMERICA^MOVING,^INC.&pv_pref_docket=MC550564&pv_usdot_no=1437470&pv_vpath=LIVIEW
farrah7031

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:46 pm

Has anyone used them that has had a good/bad experience with them? I gave them a $250 deposit via a credit card a few weeks ago but that bill hasn't been paid. Should I tell my bank not to pay the charge - is this company committing fraud. I need help and I need it quickly since we are moving shortly.

Thanks

Next

Return to Open Community