mobile

my estimate just went up 1k & other strange things

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

my estimate just went up 1k & other strange things

Postby chitoboston » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:23 pm

The guy from prager came to my place to see what I had... on the phone, he said it sounded like 2700 from my initial inventory. Reebie/allied said 3200. Anyway, he still came up with 2700 but then there was a fee for a shuttle truck for 500 which I was never told about. He insisted on using a shuttle because their van can't fit by my apt - which is totally untrue (I asked mgmt many times) - there are 72' trailers there on a daily basis. I live in a huge highrise with 3 loading docks. So, now I have to pay 500 for a shuttle, but somehow in boston, I won't have to use a shuttle - where the streets really are narrow and twisted. (or, are they just not telling me and will suddenly say - ut oh we need to charge you another 500 for a shuttle once they arrive?)... the problem I have with the shuttle is that 1. I dont want my stuff moved 2x and 2. its another 500 that reebie did not charge.

Then I was charged $200 to hold the date because I am under 4000 lbs (odd that my weight was exactly 3900 lbs - but supposedly they refund the difference). Moves over 4000 lbs do not have to pay. The $200 guarentees my pickup day - otherwise I have a 4 day pick-up window (which you have to be over 4000 lbs to get anyway). Again, reebie guarenteed my pickup... but is the $200 charge weird?

Insurance was additional this time... but now here is where it gets strange... Originally, I was going to pay cost for boxes (1-3 bucks) and then $45 to deliver them... ok no problem. I have some glass tables and shelves though, so he said - well, those have to go in a special glass box for 40 each. ..then "because I [meaning me] am such a nice guy"... (I have a pet peeve when someone goes "because you're such a nice guy" and "because I really like you") he isnt going to charge for $120 for 3 boxes for the glass tables / shelves that I have. Rather, he is going to come before the move and pack them with me. However, he "only wants to come out one time" - which means that I have to pick a day to receive all these used boxes and pack the glass tables. I was planning to get my boxes 2 weeks ahead of time so I don't have to rush - and I don't want my kitchen table packed 2 weeks before I leave - I need it to put things on as I pack. Also, he would give me the rest of my boxes for free - but they will be used - which isn't worth it to save a few bucks. So, I guess he could've offered all of this "to be nice" but it's not helpful in the end. My quote will now go up yet another $200 - making it nearly 4k to move a 1 bedroom apartment from chicago to boston. Maybe I am being overly paranoid after reading all of the horror stories in the last few weeks and none of this is weird... but on the phone it was 2700 and now it's basically 4k. .. and i really don't want a shuttle truck. Oh and as far as that goes, he admitted that they use a shuttle bc they don't want to have to drive through chicago in their massive trucks & it gets expensive since they are in the burbs. How expensive can it be - we're talking 20 out of 900 miles.

what is normal here and what is weird?

thanks... this process is driving me nuts...
chitoboston

Re: my estimate just went up 1k & other strange things

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 pm

chitoboston wrote: . . . what is normal here and what is weird?

From what I have read here, everything you describe is normal and it is also weird. That is because weird is normal for the full-service moving industry (my opinion).

I think Prager is a very good company but it also sounds as if the chemistry between you and the estimator isn't very good. Are you going to stick with them?
Diane

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:50 am

1. Sounds like you could easily get stuck with a shuttle at both ends. I'd ask that an attempt be made at least at origin. The truck that shows up could be 63' and it could be 83'. If the move is more than two weeks out, which truck is showing is rarely known with any kind of degree of certainty.
2. if the boxes he's talking about are "mirror cartons", they can be had at the local Uhaul store for about $10 max. If they are custom made to fit the piece of glass that is another story ; then they are usually wood crates and can cost $40 each easily. Nobody pays $40 for a mirror carton though.
3. the $200 fee to hold the date sounds hinky to me. Call two other allied agents for a phone quote for the 3900#. Ask about a pickup "window" of how many days if any as well. Ask if there are any fees associated with the window being guaranteed. Something tells me that you are going to get at least one different answer. I'm pretty certain that you can find a major van line that will guarantee a specific date for pickup if the move is scheduled far enough in advance.
4. Like the lady says, if the chemistry isn't right with the rep to begin with, keep shopping. just because you signed an order for service doesn't mean you are obliged. You can cancel at any time prior without any penalty as long as they haven't showed up at your door yet. If you are not getting the warm fuzzy now, you are sure not going to have it if some problems occur once things really get going. Good luck Chris

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:26 am

Just a note that Prager is not an Allied agent but a North American agent. We had a situation last summer where someone else with a small load was charged extra by a North American agent in MA to get a day-certain pickup rather than a 4-day pickup window: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5512
Trouble was, the pickup was a day late anyhow . . . and there were other problems.

Sounds to me like a mismatch between what you want and what Prager wants. But I wouldn't recommend going with Reebie.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:29 am

In large cities, movers will sometimes charge deposits because city customers will sometimes hire more than one mover, then use whoever shows up first. The deposit guarantees you using them. If they're only doing it for small loads, then this must be their thinking.
MusicMom

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:30 am

He insisted on using a shuttle because their van can't fit by my apt - which is totally untrue (I asked mgmt many times) there are 72' trailers there on a daily basis. I live in a huge highrise with 3 loading docks.

1. Sounds like you could easily get stuck with a shuttle at both ends. I'd ask that an attempt be made at least at origin. The truck that shows up could be 63' and it could be 83'.

I know I have been away from direct interaction with moving for 2 years, but let's check the numbers here. The last time I checked, the maximum length for a single household goods trailer is 53'.

It does sound like the glass tabletops require crating and not mirror cartons.
Day certain loading is quite common for summer shipments. $500 seems about right for 3900 lbs though. Van Lines cannot guarantee one day load spreads on smaller shipments, so the agent loads the shipment and brings into their warehouse where the van line driver loads the shipment. At this time of year it is so common for the van line to call and agent and say go get this shipment.. A guaranteed pickup in most cases means your shipment will be loaded on a guaranteed date, whether by the agent or line driver.

I seem to recall on the East Coast a charge for delivery into certain metropolitan areas like Boston, and NYC. But I also think it is factored into the basic estimate, and not as an additional charge at destination. I would ask the estimator about that.

Perhaps one of the mover reps can pipe in with that.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:11 am

chitoboston,

You could use Broadway Express, which would charge you $2030 to move 10 linear feet of goods to Boston. (You have a little less, but 10 feet is their minimum.) You could then hire a local mover or workers from emove.com or LaborReady.com on both ends to load and unload. You would also probably want to hire the BE driver at about $30/hour.

I am guessing that with 3900 pounds you would end up paying around $2500 total for the move. Although this is not that much less than the estimate from Prager, the advantage is that you would have control over the move and it's probable (from what you say) that the BE truck could access your apartment complex directly. I think that in Boston the driver could park on the street while your unloaders work. In other words, I think you might be able to avoid shuttles with BE. You could get cartons for your glass items as someone suggested above and pack them yourself. People (even a person who works with stained glass!) have moved glass with BE with no problems whatsoever and the driver can advise you how to pack your glass-top table on loading day.

Since you seem distressed and you're not moving until August I just thought I would mention this as a possibility. For your peace of mind, you could line up helpers now from a local Chicago mover (several are listed at the end of my summary post on IL linked to below). We also have several names of companies in MA, although unloading is a lot easier and could probably be handled by LaborReady.com workers.

Moving with BE is not for everybody, because you have to organize things and you can't get any kind of insurance or valuation coverage against breakage. What it does offer is certainty of price, low cost, and control over your belongings, with no transfers into and out of a warehouse.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby Counting windows » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:22 pm

Some parts of Boston require permits for delivery. Charges vary and it is cheaper to obtain the permits yourself.

In addition, shuttles are pretty common in older sections of the Boston Metro Area.

If their is a destination agent on your paperwork call and ask their operation people about permits and shuttles.

Hope this helps.
Counting windows

Postby chitoboston » Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks for your replies... I think i might be ok with prager... I just wonder - is a shuttle a bad thing? I just think it is cuz I don't like the idea of my stuff being moved repeatedly... but maybe they won't damage it. The guy actually said that the most damage I should have is a scratch... which they repair. He said nothing ever really breaks... they hire all of their own people who are paid scale rates and the same people that do the pickup do the drive & unload. I heard this on the board here before he said that so I believe it.

Prager is in the burbs, so they have to use a shuttle for chicago city moves they said. If you live in the burbs, they show up with the full truck. Sorry i wasnt sure if 72' was a truck size or not - i have just seen enormous trucks in the dock...bigger than your normal moving van. A lot of people move to this apt bldg from out of state.

My estimate says "not to exceed" on it - so if they have to shuttle my stuff again in boston (though the street i am moving to actually isnt bad at all - and right off a main street) - then im guessing they still cant go over the price?

The other thing is - i need to apply for this permit to block of parking when the movers come but i dont know when they'll be there... i cant block it off for more than a day I don't think (and it's $50 to do this). How do people do this usually?

I think I am just gonna have the guy pack the glass table & tv unit shelves w/ me... the mirror I have is from bed bath & beyond for like 12.95... I don't need to put it in a $20 box. I'll just get another one later.

I'll probably call the coordinator monday and figure out everything.
chitoboston

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:16 pm

Hi again - Prager should certainly be able to tell you what day the shuttle is coming to pick up your stuff. Didn't you say that you are paying them $200 to hold the date? Anyway, here is a thread on securing parking permits in Chicago in case you haven't seen it already - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7154

With regard to the shuttle, I would tend to believe the sales rep that damage is very unlikely. I don't like shuttles, but if there has to be a shuttle, I think Prager is one of the better companies to provide one.

It sounds as if you won't need a shuttle in Boston, but if you do need one, Prager can charge you for it on top of your GNTE quote. They should be able to tell you right now how much it will cost if needed.
Diane

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:55 pm

I think when someone told you 72' trucks are in the area all the time they meant overall size, and not specifically size of the trailer.

The difference is in the configuration of the tractor (engine part) and wheelbase configeration. Conventional (truck with hood like car) will be much longer and harder to turn in tight places. Cabovers (no hood) are easier to turn, but even some of those have long wheelbases which makes them not easily turnable either.

Unfortunately, unless you do your move with your own rental truck, shuttles are a part of life in some cities, especially older cities in New England, or in some of the newer developments where houses are invariably on cul de sacs.

Lee
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Return to Open Community