mobile

Two Weeks Into This Move & Still Settling In..Normal???

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Two Weeks Into This Move & Still Settling In..Normal???

Postby PatR » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:12 pm

I just hit the two week mark into this move and I'm still unpacking and trying to settle in. Is this normal for a move because I sure don't remember other moves taking this darn long? I know that I had a grown daughter to help me before but still...I just am getting so fatigued and discouraged easily as the days drag on and I still have unpacking to do. I can't imagine that it takes this long to get unpacked and settled in a home. Please can anyone tell me what's normal and what's not?
I've thrown so much stuff away and I still have stuff that I'm going to discard. I know this should've been done last year (from prior move) but trust me I threw mountains of stuff away before that move. This now would be all the boxes that were transported to the home before this one and sat in the garage. Why do I feel like I'm making progress one minute and then two hours later thinking I will never get done? I just have to keep going but Gosh Darn this is getting the better of me and I think some of it has to do with the weather being so hot and having to run back and forth in the heat. There's no way right now to wait until it cools down. It's 100 degrees here at 10 PM and doesn't even hit 88 until around 3 AM. Does anyone have any unpacking strategies that I can follow? I've tried just dumping boxes on the floor and going through the contents and tossing left and right, I've tried sorting the contents of boxes by throwing what I don't want into one laundry basket and what I do want in another, making taking the trash easier to carry. I'll take any viable suggestions from the volunteers here if you all have any ideas.
PatR

Re: Two Weeks Into This Move & Still Settling In..Normal

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:04 am

Hey Pat...

We got some pretty severe thunderbumpers this afternoon.. Temperature went from well over 100 to about 70 in fifteen minutes.

Ok .. here's some tips for unpacking...

As you look around at all the boxes and bare walls, it may not feel like home just yet, but bear in mind that soon, the dust will settle, pictures will be hung, and everything will be in its place - after unpacking. But first, you need to unpack.

Where to start

The normal reaction when viewing the moving-day disorder is the urge to put everything in its proper place as quickly as possible so the adjustment to the new surroundings can begin. But nerves can be spared and good relations maintained if you keep in mind two important points:

1. You don't have to unpack everything in one day or even in one week.
2. Unpacking after moving can be fun, so try to do everything possible to make the process feel like the end of an enjoyable adventure.

To start out, consider your family's basic needs (food, rest, and bathing) and unpack accordingly, focusing your attention on one room at a time.

Unpacking tips for the kitchen

Once the kitchen is set up enough to function, it can become a haven where everyone can meet and take a break from the jumble in the other rooms. Resist the urge to unpack right away everything that belongs in the kitchen. Instead, start with the basics and leave less-frequently-used items in boxes until you decide your room and storage arrangements.

Unpacking tips for the bathroom

The next room to prepare is the bathroom. Make sure toiletries are unpacked and put in place, and the bathroom's mechanical systems are functioning. Once the kitchen and the bathroom are operational, the rest of the unpacking can take place without a sense of urgency.

Unpacking tips for the living room

Now, shift your attention to the living room or family room. Before you start shifting heavy furniture around, it's a good idea to make a sketch of the room and how you want it to look. It's much easier to erase a rectangle that designates a couch and pencil it in somewhere else than it is to lift and move the actual couch around the room.

Unpacking tips for the Bedrooms

If you don't get to the bedrooms on the first night, don't be upset. Drag mattresses and pillows together in one room and have a family camp-out. It will add to the sense of adventure. Share the burden of assembling the beds and moving heavy furniture but allow each bedroom dweller to unpack and arrange his or her personal belongings.

Unpacking after you move may seem like another in a long series of huge moving-day tasks, but it doesn't have to be overwhelming if you take your time and make it fun.

Your move is now two-thirds of the way done! The last part is unpacking and getting settled into your new home. This can be the phase that takes the longest, but can also be the most fun. Unpacking gives you a chance to get the house organized - you know, the way you'd like to keep it all year, but it never works out that way.

When you start wading through the sea of boxes, there should be a method to your madness. The following are a few simple steps to make the unpacking process easier. And remember, you don't have to unpack everything right away!

1. Unpack one room at a time

Begin with the kitchen so that you can have a snack to fuel your fire. Items that you won't be needing right away can be set aside to unpack at a later time when you can better gage the right setup. This is also a good time to line your cabinets and drawers.

The bathroom should be next. Get your toiletries out and make sure the toilet, faucets, etc. are operational. A few things you should definitely have are a shower curtain, toilet paper and soap.

If the bedrooms aren't set up the first night, don't sweat it. Have a family camp out instead! It is helpful to have major pieces of furniture placed before unpacking (check out our Room Designer tool). Then putting things away will be a cinch! The person who's room it will be should make the area feel comfortable and personal to them. Setting up an organized closet is another great thing to do when moving in.

The living room should be a combined effort of everyone in the household. There will be a lot of items to be placed and electronics to hook up. This is a good time to consider the practicality in wirings. For example, the entertainment center will have to be in close proximity with the cable outlet.

Having an organized garage is a daunting task for most. But if you start by setting up shelves and hooks for placement of tools, yard supplies, etc., you might curb the tendency for making piles. After all, we are hunter gatherers!

Additional tips: If you're setting up a computer or stereo equipment, you may want to consider purchasing a surge protector for the safety of these items and yourself. Click here for more information on home electronics.

Collapse boxes for storage or recycling.

2. Take note

Take inventory of everything you have to make sure nothing has been lost. If you have any broken or damaged items, make sure to keep them as evidence. You must file all insurance claims within a certain amount of days after the move, depending on your particular company's regulations.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Thank you for the wonderful advice Lee!!! I wish my printer were hooked up to print this out. Every time I would see it doesn't have to be done in one day...it would be enough to keep me going.
We're setting records temps up here and not even a sprinkle. It was 112 here yesterday and will be at least that again today!!!
I went to my daughter's lastnight to babysit the three boys while she and her bf went to a pool party for a friend's 25th birthday. She showed me around her new home and then she opened the garage. I stood there like a Grandma with no teeth, sucking in both lips to hide my smile!!! Their garage is filled with stuff they still need to unpack. They did have their bikes hung up and had some other things organized but for the most part there was still a lot there that needed to be organized. When she showed me her bedroom, again that tucked in smile appeared again and the words, "OMG" blurted from my mouth. Now I don't feel so bad that I still have stuff to unpack and even more that my stacks are getting smaller. I just wish the stuff that's her's and her son's had a way of making it over there. I guess until she has some progress there then it's here that it will all remain. My grandson told me lastnight in order to make it easier on me when I'm sorting his toys, all he wants are his cars, trucks, motorcyles and the play money...everything else can go...I'm still going to save the momentos of his, like toys that Mom and Dad bought for him together and some other things that I know he wouldn't really want to part with. He was just so thoughtful lastnight when I came over there and he saw how tired I was from it all.
I spent the night with a huge Sony Wega TV and all the DVD's I could watch while I was babysitting at my fingertips. I made use of both DVD's in the living room and the bedroom. One thing that got me was everywhere I went this cat of their's followed. I went into the bathroom and lo and behold, this cat opens up the flipping door just like a kid!!! I went from room to room with this cat following me. No need to call out his name, he's right there and sometimes a little too close to my feet. I heard an occasional MEEEEEEOWWWWWWWW as I forgot he was there. When it came time to go to bed, again the cat followed me straight into the bedroom and waited for me to settle in. I don't know how long it took him to get away from my face but with some gentle coaxing he finally laid down. I woke up later with a tail flipping me in the face and a meow but went back to sleep. I don't think this cat ventured four inches from my face all night long. We found out that he's got feline leukemia and so I couldn't really reject his affections, it would've seemed no less than cruel!
I woke up today to the thought of having to say goodbye to my grandson and that was more than overbearing. I know that I'll see him again soon so I hid that I was already missing him and told him, I'll see you soon and I'll call you, keep your phone charged!!! GRANDMA LOVES YOU!!!
I'm really going to miss him and all the help that he gave me while he was here as we unpacked box after box!! The five weeks with him flew because of this move. Hopefully before too terribly long I won't have to say Goodbye to him, only see you later. He didn't like that I was moving sometimes because it prevented us from doing some things while he was here but I got to take breaks and enjoy some time playing. Moving is difficult and even more difficult when you're trying to balance a visit with a grandchild and putting things away!!!
Last edited by PatR on Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatR

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:41 pm

I think i am going to spend some time compiling all of your posts and putting them in order, and let you see what it looks like....

We can call it the Chronicles of Pat... lol

Hope you have a great day...

Since you like watching movies, the best investment one can make (in my opinion) is NETFLIX. They are located in San Jose, so place an order before noon and your movies are in your mailbox the next day...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:45 pm

LOL Lee, am I a little too much? I just write the way it happens as I've said before.

NetFlix is a good source of movies but I'm going to penny pinch for a little while so that I can absorb the costs of moving. Transfer fees for phone, cable and such, then not to mention the other stuff!!!

Thanks for the replies to my posts Lee :)
PatR

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:57 pm

Okay, I take back that 112 reading for today and give this one to you...

SUN
(A balmy day in the tip of Southern California) and to think we aren't even in the desert!!!)

114 High
83 Low
My daughter said that when it's a couple degrees difference you don't really feel it, it's just HOT period!!! No unpacking today...

Just took a very leisurely walk over to get something to drink. You know it's hot when a BIG black crow stands it's ground on a shady spot of grass and the next time you see it, the poor thing is standing in the gutter drinking some water from the nearby nursery...it squawked at me while protecting it's territory that I seemingly intruded on for the second time. I wasn't about to argue. I discovered where the Jays are hiding out but the poor things are still walking around with their beaks open. I've put water in my birdbath for them but to no avail. I'll be really glad when this heatwave leaves us.
I say I'm not going to unpack today but we know the "real" truth. Everyday I say I'm not going to and that I'll rest but I go out there and do some anyway. I'm beginning to like going out in the sun and coming back in to a darkened apartment with my sunglasses on...I can barely see what's waiting for me in the livingroom and maybe that's why I always say I'm not going to unpack and then end up doing it anyway. Because the mess of boxes doesn't look so big with the sunglasses on...HEY!!! :idea: :idea: I may be on to something here!!! Unpacking with my sunglasses on! Don't know how much will get put away where it belongs if I can't really see what it is...but I'm game!!! I might trip over a few things too...OH the other thing...
When I stayed in my grandson's room lastnight, they failed to mention to me that it was my daughter's bed that was handed down to him and that they didn't put the footboard or headboard on...gosh darn metal hurts when it's darting into your shin in a sleepy haze!!!
Have a great day!!!
Stay Cool wherever you are!!!
It's just too STINKING HOT!!!
PatR

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:31 pm

Here's something that I like to do.... It makes the temperature not seem so high.

I just converted 117 from fahrenheit to celsius, and per celsius it is 47.2.

So when someone asks how hot it is I just say 47. lololol
BigLeeCalif

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:35 pm

Well there we go!!!
I was envious today when my daughter and her bf told me they've yet to run their air conditioning!!! I have to remember though that during the week, they're both at work until after 5 PM and then they go home, pack up the kids and go out to eat. By the time they get home, turn on the ceiling fans and voila, instant cooling. I'm still just keeping my apartment nice and cool by keeping the blinds closed during the hottest part of the day and finding that my air doesn't kick on as much either. Flourescent lighting in the kitchen isn't on right now either...I've heard that they generate a lot of electricity...not sure...

Anyway, stay a cool 47!!! :P
Pat~
PatR

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:40 pm

Don't know exactly where you are, but there was a bit of discouraging news on the evening news Friday.

Effective August 1, SoCal Edison is restructuring (with PUC approval) rate hikes for electrical usage. Those with low use will not feel the impact. Those with moderate use might see up to $50 extra charge on bill. But those in the heavy use area might see their bill jump from $300 - $500 monthly.

Hand me that shovel in your garage.. Ima dig a pool and go live in it... lol
BigLeeCalif

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:43 pm

If only I had a shovel and a garage, I'd gladly accommodate you! I have neither unless you want to spend an eternity with my garden shovel digging that hole...

I'd join you if you could find both!!!
PatR

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:47 pm

lol

Why didn't I go pick up the free above ground pool someone in Sun City was trying to get rid of the other day.... Wait, now I know.. I didn't have anything big enough to get it.... lol
BigLeeCalif

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:46 pm

I don't think I've ever felt more like I'm going to "get into trouble" for not unpacking as I do now. I have to remind myself, by WHOM, I'm the only one stuck with the unpacking and I'm allowed to do it on my own terms. I worked today lol, I went outside and put up my misting system in hopes that the poor birds will come for a cooling off. I've still got nine good hours of this day left to unpack if I should decide to do that.

Splish Splash!!
PatR

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:50 pm

Sounds like the birds aren't the only ones who need the misting system...

C'mon Pat... I don't want to see you on the six o'clock news at general hospital for heat exhaustion....
BigLeeCalif

Postby PatR » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:06 pm

Not to worry Lee, I'm obviously taking breaks when I need to and that misting system was simple to put up. Only a couple of minutes out of my day.
I'm just dreading unpacking now because my grandson's toys are all out there reminding me of his presence and missing him already it's not something that I want to be looking at all day. I usually put his toys away as soon as he's left until his next visit. It helps me accept the fact that he's so far away. I'm very attached to my grandson because he lived with me for five and a half years while his mom finished school and got her life on track. Missing him and seeing his favorite toys now is hard.

Hey is this website slow in responding or is it AOL because I had to go to internet explorer to get it to work...my pages were taking forever to load if at all...not sure what's going on. I just cleaned my internet files yesterday and cookies in the browser so it's not that...

Pat
PatR

Postby PatR » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:29 pm

Update...Week Three Ending

I've managed today to go through three huge boxes, two clothes baskets and a hamper of my grandson's clothes that he's outgrown. I repacked them and filled up two really large gray storage bins (bought at WalMart in the area where the storage things are). I never realized this grandson of mine had so many darn clothes. I have clothes that he wore as a toddler all the way up to Age 7, he's now 8 years old. We'll likely put some in a yard sale and then give some to children's specialty stores that sell used kids things on consignment or donate them to charities. My daughter took really great care of his clothes and toys while he was growing up. There were the broken toys from time to time but for the most part these toys are in excellent shape. Total this weekend I've unpacked five boxes that were large and you can see where they've been sitting on the carpet but it looks so good to see the bare spots on the carpet, I'm not at all worried about the indentations they left behind. A good vacuuming will cure those and they don't last.
I think that if I just whittle away at this unpacking I'll soon be done. My goal was to have it all done by the end of this week. If I hadn't had to go outside and work on my patio, it likely would've been nearly completed and I could've upacked toys and sorted those. We still have a ton of toys to go through, my grandson donated some and kept some favorites... but he has a lot of those too.
I am getting more settled though and my bedroom is some place that I can really relax...watching some movies this weekend and just unpacking when the mood strikes me. I did a window treatment to my bedroom window just the other day, the bedroom window faces the street but I have neighbors living across the street and I was tired of playing "BLIND GAMES" with them, I think they're the paranoid type people. If my blinds were open they would keep their's closed, if mine were closed their's were open...pooey on that, I need doses of daylight every day and so I open them up! What am I going to see all the way across the street anyway???
Monday, I'm going to really tear into getting more stuff unpacked and later next week I might be able to say that I'm all done. Until then, you all have a happy and safe weekend. Finally the heat is going away (or it's at least cooler than it has been, thank God!!!).

Take care
PatR
PatR

Next

Return to Open Community