mobile

Stay away from ABF U-Pack

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies

Stay away from ABF U-Pack

Postby jrlamour » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:50 pm

I just want to warn everyone about ABF U-Pack. I recently used them in July for a move from NY to GA. I did my research on various moving companies by visiting various websites and ABF seemed like a reputable company. They delivered in NY on time but the ramp I received was broken so I couldn’t use it. I didn’t complain because I only had 2 days to pack the truck and I had help to work around it (although it was more difficult). I reported the broken ramp to the driver upon pickup who also confirmed the ramp was damaged. My wife was a little concerned with how the cargo was sealed (2 pieces of ply wood sealed with a tension bar used as a divider), but I told her about how reputable they are.

Now here is where the fun part begins. I closed on my new home the morning of July 11th and received the trailer that evening. We were excited and anxious to get everything unpacked. When the driver opened the trailer, we noticed something was wrong. The divider had moved about 10 ft. Not only that, but the tension bar had been tampered with because it wasn’t completely sealed. Even the driver was in shock. When he removed the divider, all of my stuff had moved. It looked as if someone took the trailer off-roading.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Everything had either been destroyed or damaged. The only things that weren’t destroyed were clothes. My brand new bedroom furniture was destroyed. My televisions, computer, monitor, tables, lamps all destroyed. Book shelves, cd rack, other furniture destroyed. Over $7000 worth of damages. Before we unloaded the trailer I grabbed my digital camera and took pictures so I could have proof. Then I called U-Pack directly to bitch. I spoke to someone and she told me that I needed to file a claim.

I filed the claim the same week. I also sent a few pictures to support my claim and I also mentioned that the truck had been tampered with. I waited about a week and no response. I contacted U-Pack and was told that it was received and is under review. I was also told that upon receipt of claim they conclude all claims within 30 days. I was tolled that Mr. Terry Smith was handling my claim. I called every week about once a week to check on my claim. Every week he told me that he would have it resolved by the end of the week. Keep in mind that U-Pack never contacted me concerning my claim what so ever. I was calling them every single week. I expected much more from a customer service stand point.

So I called again the week ending Aug. 19th and Mr. Smith told me that there’s no reason why someone would tamper with my stuff. Maybe one of your employees was a little nosy or wanted to see what was packed in the truck. All I know was the divider was tampered with. He also said that U-Pack would only cover .10 a pound and refused to help me with anything else. This is ridiculous. I have over $7000.00 in damages and you want to write me a check for $500.00. I am so pissed because all these items need to be replaced and U-Pack will not stand by their product. For your own sake don’t use U-Pack
jrlamour

Re: Stay away from ABF U-Pack

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:43 am

I'm sorry to hear for your loss. This board is for ABF upak so you have to go somewhere else.

Postby Noone » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:28 am

While it's true (and posted) that movingscam gets a fee for each move referred to ABF, all comments are welcome here, and there are several bad reviews of ABF on the page showing all reviews.

Unfortunately, ABF is not for everyone, and the old statement of "You get what you pay for" is true. This is a freight company, not a full service mover, and the very first post in the ABF reviews says:
* Understand that you are moving with a freight company and not with a full-service household mover. Remember that you—not ABF—are responsible for any breakage, scratches, rubs, and dents that may occur during your move. Only if there is catastrophic damage or negligent damage such as water damage from a roof leak is ABF responsible.

I understand that this 20-20 hindsight doesn't help you with your current situation, and maybe Diane or one of the pros here can give advice on what you can do to get additional compensation. I also suggest seeing if the damaged furniture can be repaired. I've personally had furniture repaired which everyone had thought was totally ruined, at a fraction of the cost of replacing it (as if you can replace GrandDad's living room set anyway).

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that is unhappy to hear you had a bad experience. I don't think anyone thinks that Movingscam is a money-making operation that doesn't care about the consumers. Well, maybe someone does, but not anyone that sees the amount of work put in by the volunteers, who get zilch for this.
Noone

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:33 am

may be your should put that at every post of abf support?

Postby MusicMom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:39 am

But that would make the boards so crowded!
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:26 am

Noone wrote:maybe Diane or one of the pros here can give advice on what you can do to get additional compensation. . . . I don't think anyone thinks that Movingscam is a money-making operation that doesn't care about the consumers.

Thanks for these supportive comments. When I think that I may be able to make a difference, I do contact ABF about complaints like this.

My understanding is that an offer was made to "jrlamour" (ABF review #77) of more than the amount of ABF's legal liability but less than the customer had asked for, and the ball is in his/her court at this point. Also, a settlement offer was made to "efreber" (review #73) that was reportedly agreeable to her. I have been in touch with both customers by Private Messages.

Both reviews are still posted in the ABF review thread. We do not censor or remove bad reviews unless they appear to be bogus.

Moving is not an exact science. Every company makes mistakes and has things that don't go according to plan. It's how the company handles those glitches that matters in the long run.
Diane

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:22 pm

You have no clue what ABF offered me. I had over $5000 in damage and an offer of $500 is unacceptable. I've provided proof and have pictures to prove damages and I only claimed items that were destroyed like my bedroom set. So Ms Diane get your info straight before you post "My understanding is that an offer was made to jrlamourof more than the amount of ABF's legal liability but less than the customer had asked for". I am still working on getting this resolved

Postby Diane » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:49 pm

No need to post in such an angry way. I simply stated what my understanding of the current situation was (from ABF) and I believe, from what you say, that what I said was factually correct. To me, the phrase "the ball is in his/her court" implies that you could make a counteroffer and that the matter is not resolved.

Obviously, I was trying to help you.
Diane

Return to Report A Scam