One thing we’ve learned during the COVID-19 pandemic is that moving is essential and people still want to relocate. As the moving industry continues to boom, especially with low home interest rates, it’s imperative that moving companies maintain drastic improvements to their safety protocols. One moving company that has been leading the way in safety precautions is Meathead Movers, the student athlete moving company based out of California.
We sat down with Meathead Movers CEO Aaron Steed to ask him some questions about moving during a pandemic.
Q: What should I ask my moving company in advance of the move?
AS: This is probably the most important question that I get. Although moving is deemed an essential business, it’s important to make sure that the moving company you choose is taking increased measures to ensure your safety. At a minimum, make sure you’re asking the following:
- Can I do a virtual estimate instead of in-person?
- Has anyone in your workplace been sick from COVID-19? If so, what have you done about it?
- What are the Movers doing to disinfect, hand wash and maintain social distancing?
- How often are high-touch areas disinfected?
- What measures are being taken to ensure the safety of customers on Move Day?
Looking for a full list of safety precautions? Print out our list:
Q: How can I prepare for the movers to arrive on Move Day?
AS: While the moving company should do most of the preparation to ensure the safety of themselves and their customers, there are still some measures you can take to prepare:
- We recommend that you also wear gloves and cloth face coverings.
- We provide customers with individually wrapped pens for you to use and keep, but in case your moving company does not, we encourage you to be prepared with your own pen to sign contracts.
- You can disinfect your high-touch services prior to the arrival of the moving company.
- Leave soap out and your water on so that the Movers can wash hands regularly.
- Keep the fan circulating or windows open during the move to allow for additional air circulation.
- Vocalize your desire to comply with social distancing in advance with the moving company. That way, the movers will understand not to shake your hand upon arrival.
Q: What if I wake up sick on the day of my move?
AS: If at all possible, reschedule your move for the safety of the move crew. Most reputable moving companies will offer a free reschedule, just like Meathead Movers always has.
I understand that sometimes move days are unavoidable (lease is ending, escrow is closing, etc.), so please alert the moving company of your illness immediately and have a representative onsite to oversee the move in your absence.
If you have obvious symptoms and did not notify the moving company in advance, be prepared for the Movers to leave the job and request a reschedule. Here at Meathead Movers, we have empowered our team to make that decision for their own safety. Additionally, I encourage you to ask the Movers to leave if you suspect they may have COVID symptoms too.
Q: How do I make sure my items aren’t infected before my move?
AS: Great question! A couple tips I recommend to our customers are:
- Packing your items in boxes is the perfect time to disinfect as you go. That way, they are already disinfected when you take them out in your new home.
- If possible, pack your most important belongings (medication, disinfectants, etc.) in a separate box and transport it yourself to a safe place. Keep that box away from all other items.
Q: What safety measures should I take after my move is complete?
AS: Similar to the preparation you took prior to move day, I would encourage you to be equally as diligent after your move. This would include:
- Making sure that you deep clean and disinfect your new home before unpacking your items.
- Labeling your boxes of disinfectants very clearly so that you can open them first.
- Or, have your movers unpack the boxes on Move Day to avoid the cardboard boxes remaining in your new home all together. Most moving companies will remove and recycle all of the boxes that are unpacked.
If you have additional questions or concerns about booking a moving service during COVID-19, don’t hesitate to reach out to Meathead Movers, which is now offering nationwide moving services.