Why Cubic Feet Estimates Should Be Avoided

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
cjstevenson28

Re: Why Cubic Feet Estimates Should Be Avoided

Postby cjstevenson28 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Hourly is the best route to go. If you are given an estimate of any kind, you are more than likely paying way too much. The estimator will quote you based on worse case scenario. If you are in, or moving to Oklahoma please visit this site for our web specials.

sl

Postby sl » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:34 am

We received a cubic feet estimate for a local move, based on an in-persion inspection, with a company that had good reviews on BBB. The cover letter says the transportation cost is a fixed cost, which we were told cannot change. The packing and packing materials are subject to change if they differ from what's on the estimate. Is this a good situation?

rydog444

Postby rydog444 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:36 pm

They may have used cubic feet to determine the volume, but it should have nothing to do with the price of the move. The transportation charge you are talking about should be based on an hourly rate. Volume should not play a factor in the actual charges - how would volume be measured on a local move? They are not going to spend the time to fill every hole in your shipment and stack to the ceiling when they don't have to...
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.

sl

Postby sl » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for your response, rydog444, but I'm not sure what you mean. They estimated volume based on the inventory, and the transporation price is based on that estimate. They said that as long as the inventory does not change, that price remains the same, even if they underestimated the volume. They also have a charge for packing and materials, which can change if they end up having to pack more than what is listed. Does that make sense?

Baileys77

Postby Baileys77 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:49 am

Silly,

Surely cubft quotes are the only way to truely gain an idea for shipping internationally???

Wieght is only needed if air freight is being used?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 pm

This article talks about weight versus volume for interstate US household goods.

caseymovers

Postby caseymovers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 am

I understand that there are "bad guys" out there. But from a movers perspective this DOES happen quite frequently (more stuff). It is often the intention of home owners to sell off furniture, have yard sales, and give things away. By moving day, things can come a lot faster than expected and not everything is eliminated come moving day...

One way to avoid these problems (and, this is how I work) is maybe have the mover look at the entire house and ask them to commit to a weight or cubic feet for the entire house as if everything were going... and then give a second lower estimate on what you "believe to be going" come moving day. That way there are no hassles or missed expectations on either party if things go one way or another come moving day.

I don't know if this would work for a Vanline because I've only ever worked privately and I don't know their procedures... but I work very closely with my clients and dislike the issue of "more stuff going than expected" as much as they do, so I always try to avoid it from the start.

For clients, it's often "oh, I'll just add this stuff it's no big deal," (sometimes it isn't) but, for movers it's "there's more stuff, I need additional help, time and a bigger truck."

-Matt

twalker wrote:The other loophole is that it is still legal to charge by cubic feet on binding estimates since what's on the estimate is supposed to be what you pay. The problem with a binding estimate based on cubic feet is, as MM pointed out, the moving company is always going to tell you that you took up more space than what you told them you were moving, which un-binds the contract and they can charge you whatever they want.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:43 am

That's a good idea, Matt. Better to be ready for more and have less than to assume you'll have less and fail.

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”