New Jersey to FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Diane

Re: New Jersey to FL

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:39 pm

You've done a great job of researching these companies. You are correct - you have the equivalent of a GNTE from all three. I don't think you need to look at anything else, except . . . for a move of this distance, I would not go with any company that isn't CERTAIN that it is going to self-haul. Having your goods stored in a warehouse waiting for a long-haul driver can expose them to damage and delay.

jpd

Postby jpd » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:13 pm

I forgot to mention one thing that puzzles me.

All Brunswick gave me "Your Rights and Responsibilities When you Move", 49 pages

University Van Lines combined it into a pamphlet called Important Information for when you move, 25 pages.

When I asked JD Carton for one, the estimator pointed to a small brochure. The other two also gave me this brochure.

Should this be a concern and a factor in selecting one of them?

Also, can I rely that the weighing is done correctly? University did mention to me I could observe the weighings, but I would prefer not to.

Thank you for all the information and advice.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:28 pm

From your descriptions, it sounds like Brunswick is the only one that gave you the right pamphlet. The 25-page version is way out of date, and really should be replaced. Movers are required to give you this pamphlet, the 50-page version.

Sometimes we've heard of movers giving the link to the online version, which is linked to on the left side of the Index of Forums.

jpd

Postby jpd » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:42 pm

I received the following GNTE quotes for my move from New Jersey to FL:

All Brunswick / Wheaton: Move - $4295.10 for 8,500 lbs and $896 for packing.

JD Carton / Allied: Move - $4534.08 for 9,751 lbs and $1,260 for packing.

University Van Lines / Atlas: Move - $4,572.40 for 8,800 lbs and $1,027 for packing.

Wade Odell Wade / United: Move - $3,803.97 for 8,500 lbs and $801 for packing.

From the testimonials on this site as well as well as researching the federal transportion site, all four companies seem to have a good reputaion so I don't think that I can go wrong with any of them. I therefore am inclined to go with Wade, since they had the lowest GNTE. They would also self-haul. They mentioned that the same driver and loaders who loaded the truck here would also unload at the end.

I would like to know the following:
1.) Should I be able to take their word regarding the weight of my items?
2.) The ultimate price I pay should be almost the same with any one of them, since the weight should be the same for all and the cost per pound is negligible among the four, correct? The only variable would be in the packing and insurance.
3.) How are items valued for insurance purpose? They are valuing my items at between $40,000 - $50,000 and I know that my stuff in not worth that much.

Thank you all for your advice and guidance.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:21 pm

1. Yes
2. There is another variable, which is the percentage discount off the full tariff that the companies are giving you. It appears that WOW is giving you a higher discount than All Brunswick, for example, since WOW is quoting lower for the same weight. This percentage will remain the same regardless of what your weight turns out to be, so (in my opinion) your cost would always be somewhat lower with WOW than with All Brunswick. The percentage may be somewhere on your paperwork. There might be a variation between about 62% and about 68% at this time of year.
3. The moving companies call it valuation, not insurance. I don't understand valuation very well, but I think that you are required to value your goods at at least $5 per pound, which explains why they are asking you to pay for about $40,000 worth of valuation coverage.

I think you are making a good choice with WOW. Did you like all the sales reps? What were their names, so we can keep track?

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:08 pm

Movers must use the term "valuation" because they are not licensed to sell insurance. You won't receive an actual policy, your goods are covered by the company's blanket policy.

You are not required to take the valuation coverage. The mover is required to give you free coverage of .60 cents per pound per article. This is very minimal coverage , a 100 pound item would only be covered up to $60.00.

The mover will make you take a minimum of coverage ($5-$6 per pound of weight in your shipment) They have determined that on average everyone’s household goods have a value of at least much. This method prevents people from underinsuring their shipment.

Also, keep in mind, anything you've packed will not be covered by the mover’s valuation.

There may be a small fee for the GNTE price according to the mover’s tariff. Review your list of items to be moved. The GNTE price is only to move the items indicated on the Order for Service. If you add to the shipment the GNTE is out the window.

Reading the Rights and Responsibilities When You Move will answer a lot of your moving questions.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:36 pm

The above poster sounds very knowledgeable about moving and I think most of us would agree that he/she probably works in the moving industry.

Sad to say, this person is posting from the same computer as "nancybak," a person who wrote in out of the blue recently saying that she moved with Dolan Moving in Brookfield, CT, and had a great experience. -
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 2245#72245

Is it any wonder that we get upset at times?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

jpd

Postby jpd » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:42 pm

All the sales reps were good. The one I liked best was Bill Quigley from University Van Lines. I had been pre-disposed to go with them, but I could not ignore Wade Odell's price.

The sales rep from Wade Odell was Dick Cooper, the rep from All Brunswick was Steven Morgen and the rep from JD Carton was Steve McCann.

I felt that all were good and I would have been comfortable choosing any one of the four. The combination of price and positive reviews makes me lean toward Wade Odell. I will keep my fingers crossed until my move is complete and hope that the choice I make is the right one.

jpd

Re: *New Jersey to FL

Postby jpd » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:03 am

Just an update on my move with Wade Odel Wade from NJ to FL:

My movers were Jose, Angel, and Juan. They said that they would come between 9-10 AM. They got a little lost and they called me to ask for directions. Despite that, they were only 15 minutes late.

They were very professional and quick. They quickly tagged all the items to be moved. They disassembled all the furniture and throughly wrapped all of it it pads. They took about 6 hours to pack everything.

They had come on a Monday in NJ and I was told to expect them the following Monday in FL. Instead, they called 2 days earlier to say that they were ready to drop my items off. We were very pleased to be getting our furniture earlier than we thought.

Unpacking and reassembly took them about 3 hours. Overall, there does not appear to be any damage to the furniture and I am hopping that we don't find anything on closer inspection. We have not started unpacking the boxes yet, but since we did the packing ourselves, we will be responsible if there is any damage.

Wade had given me a GNTE of $3,800 based on a weight of 8500 pounds. The actual weight came to 6800 pounds and my total cost came to $3,600, which included a $250 deductible for the valuation.

Overall, so far,I am very satisfied with my moving experience with Wade and I would recommed them. The movers even attached a mirror to my dresser which they had not disassambled.

I would also like to thank everyone on this board who posted advice and replied to my questions. I was really stressed about moving and this site really relived my stress. In the process, I probably learned more than I ever wanted to about the moving industry, but it was well worth it.

Diane

Re: *New Jersey to FL

Postby Diane » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi - I'm really glad to have this good report on Wade Odell Wade to add to the others we have. The pricing was really good and I can only assume that they must have had other loads going your way and they needed to give you a low quote to fill the truck.

Since you started this thread, a sales rep at University Van Lines has contacted me to say that the booklet they gave you is not the old outdated YRR booklet but one that they themselves put together incorporating all of the current booklet's information plus some information of their own. I haven't studied it closely, but I just wanted to correct any impression that University wasn't up to snuff on this.

Thanks again for getting back to us with your review.

Return to “Open Community”