Mover Discounts?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
RobA

Mover Discounts?

Postby RobA » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:39 pm

Hi, It's been over two years since I've been here and was sad to see that my final update on what happened with my No. Calif to Western Mass. move never ended up on the site. I don't know what happened there. But, in case anyone was wondering, the move in 2004 went great! The load turned out lighter by a couple hundred pounds, saving us some money and we really like our driver, whose son met us on the Mass. side and helped unload in the summer heat.

Now, with the academic job market the way things are, my family is now on the way BACK to the Bay Area! It's been a lot harder to schedule and deal with movers out here as we live in a pretty rural area now. So I'm going through it all again.

I had an Allied (sitterly) guy come out today to do the first survey and he confused me a bit. I got even more confused when I look at the estimated cost of services he wrote up. He was also hedgy about giving me a GNTE, which (upon re-reading the old thread) the Allied rep was last time as well!

Anyway, he filled out this sheet (the cube sheet looks like all the others from my previous move), but the non-binding estimate is very strange. First of, all of the estimated costs are nearly double what they cost on the way out here. AND I can't get any of the numbers to add up to what he got, no matter how I try. After he came to a sum on a scrap piece of paper, he asked what college/university I worked at and then told me I was eligible for a 65% discount, which brought the exorbitant numbers he was adding to an amount similar to my previous move (though I have a lot less stuff, now) to a total of 4420. This is for an estimated 590 cu. ft (x7) = 4130 lbs.

My big question is: What's with this discount? Is it something everyone gets? I can't figure it out. Can someone help?

Thanks,
--Rob

farrah7031

Re: Mover Discounts?

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:07 pm

A 65% discount is pretty standrad these days. Have you checked out the Superlist of Movers?
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7599#57599

Another good option would be to contact Moovers at www.mooversinc.com as they're always looking for loads back to SF. You would need to have some in home estimates first, as they are based in SF and won't be ablet o do an in home estimate.

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi, Rob . . . Farrah is right; every customer gets some kind of discount. Nobody is charged the full tariff rate. I don't know how this escaped your notice on your move with Chipman, but if you still have your paperwork it probably says something about it.

You might have better options than Sitterly; check the Superlist. It would have included your review of Chipman but we didn't have a final report until now. Were you dealing with Chipman Concord, or if not, which branch? Was the driver who picked up your stuff the same driver who delivered it?

In general, it's not a good idea to accept a Nonbinding estimate unless you absolutely have to.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:18 pm

If the University is paying for your relocation back, contact their relocation coordinator. Each University has a list of movers that is considered their either preferred movers, or either Van Lines they have established contracts with.

The other thing you can do is contact the Chipman office that set up your original move, and see who they had designated as your destination agent, and they can have that agent go out and do a survey of your goods, and still retain responsibility of handling the entire move. And, since Chipman has a substantial hauling fleet, you might get the same driver you had before if he/she is available.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

RobA

Postby RobA » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:00 pm

Thanks, guys! I don't know how I forgot about the discounted percentage. Maybe just because it seemed so shady that he had just the right discount for someone in my situation and line of work.

Diane, last move, I worked with the Chipman Concord agent and my driver's name was Scott; he was great. I did check out the great superlist and got a couple of starting points. It's just that since we're far out of Boston where most of the big guys are... I have a sense we're going to end up with mooversInc this time, I had a good talk with them already.

And thanks, BigLee, I've got the United agent coming on Monday!

--Rob

Return to “Open Community”