**Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to NYC (used DMS)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
bruin1996

**Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to NYC (used DMS)

Postby bruin1996 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:13 am

Hello everyone,

I just registered today after coming across MovingScam.com while doing a Google search on moving services. I've heard horror stories about people either losing their stuff completely or being terribly overcharged as well and it seems like what I've read on this website has confirmed some of those "rumors".
I'm looking to move stuff from my apartment in Ann Arbor, MI to NYC. There is a company provided-relocation expense allocation available to me. I'd like to have a full-service moving company who will be reliable, insured, and offer a fair price. Anyone have any recommendations? Also, would Moovers Inc. (seems to be endorsed by this website) be able to do this move? Thanks a lot in advance for any advice/help you might be able to offer.

MusicMom

Re: Moving from Ann Arbor, MI to NYC

Postby MusicMom » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:53 am

Michael continuously says the Corrigan and DMS Moving Systems both are stellar companies.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7600#57600

This link will take you to a compilation of movers by state (the Superlist), more specifically, the Michigan collection. You can see the good and bad comments by reviewers and professionals.

I need to remind everyone (an hopefully the Superlist can be updated) that Modern Moving of Farmington Hills has a new name, Michigan Relocation Service, and that either name should be avoided because of a long history of compliaints and alliances with scam movers and brokers.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:36 pm

The Superlist should be updated. Moovers could probably do this move but they have a 2000-pound minimum. If you have more than that, you could call them to see whether they could fit you into their schedule. (They have only four tractor-trailers that cross the country.)

bruin1996

Postby bruin1996 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:30 am

Hi again,

Thanks for the advice.. I'm going to have Corrigan and DMS systems come out and do estimates and pick between those two. I'm not sure if Moovers Inc. (being based in west coast) can come out as easily to do an estimate. Hopefully I can stay under the relocation expense allotment.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:39 am

Bruin, Moovers will not be able to come out and do an estimate. They will give you an estimate based on weight estimates of inhome estimates other vanlines give you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:29 pm

Just a small correction:- in situations where they can't do in-home estimates, Moovers sends out inventory lists for customers to check off what they are moving. When they get the lists, they give customers a type of low-high estimate. Hypothetical example: "if you have 4000 pounds your move will cost $4500; if you have 6000 pounds your move will cost $6500; if you have something in between your move will cost something in between." This protects the customer because he/she knows that the move will not cost more than a certain amount, and it also protects Moovers because they know that they will get a certain minimum amount of money for the move regardless of the actual weight.

bruin1996

Postby bruin1996 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help/advice you've all given me. I've decided to go with DMS Moving systems. Working with them to get moving dates now. I'll post a review when the move is completed.

bruin1996

Postby bruin1996 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to post back saying that my move with DMS Moving from Ann Arbor to NYC is complete. Everything went pretty well with the move.. and I got charged less than the estimated price so no games with pricing. There was a little damage to a pressboard L-shaped desk but the desk was getting kind of old and and it was kind of flimsy so I just had the movers junk it (I'll just buy a better desk here). Other than that, the move went pretty smoothly without any problems.
One thing about DMS moving if you have a plasma/LCD TV is that they require a 3rd company to crate the plasma for the move (and then uncrate afterwards) even though I had the original box for the TV. My 50" plasma TV arrived in good condition but the entire crating/uncrating service did cost me $625 so just let that be a warning to those of you who might also own flat panel TV's. I'm not sure about the policies for moving flat screen TV's among other movers but the whole crating and uncrating costs were much higher than how much it cost to ship the plasma originally. Fortunately I managed to stay under my budget so the cost of the whole move (including the plasma crating/uncrating) will be reimbursed entirely to me. Thanks for the recommendations on the mover.. I'll be checking back to this website again to help plan for any future moves.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:00 pm

Thanks for getting back to us. I think many moving companies have customers sign a disclaimer saying that they can't be responsible for pressboard/particleboard/IKEA-type furniture, so it's not too surprising that you had a little damage. Some of those pieces are very hard to move.

I would be interested in other people's views about whether it was excessive to charge you $625 for third-party crating and uncrating of your 50-inch plasma TV.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:52 pm

I would be interested in other people's views about whether it was excessive to charge you $625 for third-party crating and uncrating of your 50-inch plasma TV.

The price of the third party crating/uncrating service includes not just the cost of the labor and material to perform the service but also the insurance expense to cover the delicate handling of a plasma TV. A customer could perform the crating service themselves to save on money but they would assume all of the risk if the unit didn't work properly after it was delivered.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:51 pm

It is becoming a common standard and practice for movers to have falt screens crated, especially plasma TV, I know for a fact it is Atlas and United Policy to have that particular type of TV crated.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

bruin1996

Postby bruin1996 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:45 am

Sorry for the extremely, late follow up on my move (apparently quite a few people on this board also forget to post followups about their moves after completing their moves) but I just wanted ot reported that I was satisfied with DMS Moving for my move from Ann Arbor to New York City. Everything was satisfactorily delivered to New York and the final price was even slightly under the quoted amount. The move was back in January of 2007. I am back on the board now just looking around as I may be looking to move from New York City to the Los Angeles/Riverside area.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:18 am

mmm, yes, a bit late. :wink:

But thanks for coming back! Are you having luck with NYC movers?

Return to “Open Community”