18-mile move from NJ to NYC - $3000?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
alg70

18-mile move from NJ to NYC - $3000?

Postby alg70 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:13 am

Hi, I'm moving from West Orange, NJ to downtown Manhattan on a weekday (Friday). So far I had AllStar moving, University Van Lines and Peers giving me in-house estimates. They all are ranging from $3000 to $4000 with packing. Seems a bit too high for an 18-mile move. We're moving an equivalent of 2-bedroom apartment (the rest is going to the storage). Also University Van Line refused to give a binding estimate.

Given all the good reviews of the 2 movers mentioned, it's a little strange - am I wrong about thinking that the estimates are too high?

Michael

Re: 18-mile move from NJ to NYC - $3000?

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:19 am

Simple answer, YES, you are wrong in thinking the estimates are to high. Its summer. Your moving to Manhattan. Your moving on a Friday. Want a full pack. Your going to pay a high hourly rate.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

alg70

Postby alg70 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:26 am

Fair enough - just needed a second opinion :) This is a terrific website and forum, BTW!

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:28 am

Wait til they come out and see what it is your needs will be. They could be off base too.
Michael

alg70

Postby alg70 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:42 am

The 3 I mentioned already been at my house - my better half was handling it, not sure what transpired :)

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:45 am

OK then I go back to my original answer. Yes. :lol:
Michael

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 am

You might also want to get a quote from Shea Moving in Queens, since their prices are sometimes a little lower than other companies. But if you need them to provide storage, I'm not sure they can do that. You could call and discuss it with them.

alg70

Postby alg70 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Thanks - I will contact them as well. We've got own long-term storage so it's just a matter of them moving of the stuff there.

alg70

Postby alg70 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:56 am

Shea came in yesterday and gave me a not-to-exceed estimate which was approx a half of what the others gave. Wow! Are there any reviews/move reports of these guys on this board?

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:46 am

Yes, there are a bunch of excellent reviews of them here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1635#61635

I have talked at length with the people who own Shea and as a matter of fact they moved my own son in 2006. They are a small company trying to get started and I think that's why they are quoting lower than some other companies. I give a lot of credit to Rich Barrale of All Star for supporting them and referring jobs to them even though All Star is actually one of their competitors. I just hope that Shea is able to make a profit and thrive with the prices they are quoting. If you use them and they do a good job, which I'm sure they will, please consider giving the workers a good tip, OK?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:36 am

Wow, if they are charging half of what competitors are charging, I hope they don't move to my town.

alg70

Postby alg70 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:57 pm

Diane, are you implying that I'm a bad tipper?

I will also post a move review - will you tip me well if it's good? :wink:

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:40 pm

Hi alg70,

I assume that you're kidding about what I'm implying, but just in case you aren't . . . I'm always very concerned about the bottom line for the workers in these cases of very low quotes. NYC is such an expensive place to live (well, YOU know) that moving company laborers - typically paid $10-$12/hour - can hardly afford to live even in the outer boroughs. I just want to try to make sure that part of whatever is saved on the overall move gets down to the people who make it happen. There's a shortage of good workers in the moving industry and I don't want any more people to leave to go work in a factory (for example).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

alg70

Postby alg70 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Okay - here comes the review of our move with Shea Moving Corp last Friday.

Just a bit of a background - we've sold our house in West Orange, NJ and were moving the equivalent of a 2-bedroom apartment to downtown Manhattan. Shea did an in-home estimate and gave us written not-to-exceed estimate with and without packing. We've chosen the packing option and the movers were supposed to show up early (7am) since the building we were moving to had a cutoff time of 5pm.

The movers showed up over an hour late - no phone calls from the company. Only when I called up, Brian Shea (the owner) casually mentioned something about them switching the supplies. The crew had 5 people - we showed them what needed to be packed/moved and they've spread out in the house. To their credit, the crew was polite and fairly careful. Most of the items were properly packed, the boxes labeled and carried out. There were several snafus - one was when disassembling the beds (the movers didn't have proper tools with them) and one when carrying out the futon from the basement - the movers insisted on taking off the room door even though my friend and myself had no difficulty moving it there when we bought it. They also scratched the basement walls pretty badly when carrying the futon up the stairs.
They finished packing/loading by 2pm which cut it pretty close to 5pm move cutoff. Fortunately, there was no traffic on the way to Manhattan and the truck arrived in 40 mins.

The move-in was fairly uneventful and the movers finished around 6pm. The only unpleasant thing happened when we discovered the damage to the bed in master bedroom - the wood chipped off in a few places. When I called the owner Brian Shea about it, he gave me a bit of a run around asking to talk to the foreman Melvin about it. Melvin insisted it was wrapped properly but when I pointed out the "fresh" chips he offered to come back and "touch it up" and never did. Moreover, the contact number he left turned out to be a non-working number.

Overall, the move went ok but the fact that the owner didn't seem to care about the move situation or the damage (no follow-up calls about either) would mean I most likely won't be using them again.

The price was very good though and the movers seemed to be happy about the tip - I had to mention it to keep Diane happy :wink:

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:40 pm

Thanks for this review, which surprised me a bit.

I just called Shea to ask about some of the details. Brian answered the phone since his wife Julie is out of the office for a while. It turns out that they are in the middle of a horrendous crisis involving Julie's five-month pregnancy. Julie is OK but the fetus is seriously impaired. On the day you spoke with him he had just gotten final word about the prognosis and he says that indeed, he probably did sound as if he didn't care about the damage to your bed frame. He had thought that Melvin did some repairs to the frame, but in any case he is going to call him to make sure. He asked what the nonworking phone number was so he could check into it.

Brian said that in general, the company hasn't been performing up to its usual standard over the past few weeks because of what is going on with his family. For one thing, he can't be on the trucks because he has to answer the phones, so he can't stay on top of things the way he usually does. Also, he says that he is so stressed that he sometimes doesn't return calls. I asked him whether he was going to continue in the moving business and he said yes, but they are prioritizing their family for now. (They have two other children.) He gave me permission to post all this.

They are just about the nicest people you would ever want to meet and I thought I should explain things to put what happened with your move and its aftermath into perspective.

Return to “Open Community”