HELP! What options do I have in service delay (Dahill / Mayflower)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
aspena

HELP! What options do I have in service delay (Dahill / Mayflower)

Postby aspena » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:10 am

I'm moving from New York City to Denver, Colorado using Dahill Moving (Mayflower agent).

My shipment was picked up from Dahill on June 21 with estimated delivery to Colorado between June 23 and July 9th. After multiple run-arounds at Dahill (the service agent would simply screen my calls for days) I've finally uncovered that the earliest my shipment will leave New York is July 10th.

Dahill is telling me I need to contact Mayflower customer service who turns right around and says I need to contact Dahill. Both say they can do nothing for me in terms of discounts, etc. because my shipment is under 2,500 lbs.

Is this true? What are my rights at this point?

Thanks,

aspena

Re: HELP! What options do I have in service delay (Dahill / Mayflower)

Postby aspena » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:13 am

It's probably worth mentioning that I had a binding estimate with Dahill for this move...

Michael

Postby Michael » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 am

No rights unfortunately. Your under their minimum weight reuqirement for delay claims. Also, Mayflower Corp, should be handling the movement of this shipment, not Dahill since it is over 500 miles. But I would ask and talk with Dahill to work with you in compensating you somehow, someway for delay, even though they dont have too at this point. Its still only the 6th and they have til the 9th, even though they said it wont even leave til the 10th.

Stay calm and try to work with them in working with you for some sort of compensation, hotel or food. They arent going to discount the price of the move.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

fkhan27

Postby fkhan27 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi,

I am moving from NJ to Texas using Malloy Movers an agent of mayflower. I have the exact same problem. They picked up my stuff on June 23 and then put it in storage. It is still sitting in a warehouse in Edison. I am sure my stuff will be loaded with yours onto the same truck.

I have talked to mayflower corporate and my local agent (numerous time). It seems this is the norm for them and they could care less about how my family has suffered because of this scam. We have a 3 year old and 6 month old and are sleeping on mattresses on the floor. I had to buy new clothes for my job that I started on July 5th. I was given a delivery window of June 28 to July3rd. It is now July 7 and they still have my stuff in storage.

They tell me that I can bill them for hotel and food accommodations. All I want is my stuff delivered in a timely manner. I hoped to avoid a moving nightmare by using a professional company, I guess I was wrong. It seems you are better just driving it yourself.

What they have done is totally criminal but I am sure they can get away with it. I hope others will read this and not use Mayflower or United Van Lines since they are the same company. Safe yourself the aggravation and grief - DO NOT USE MAYFLOWER. If this has happened to anyone else please reply to this email. I would love to get back at this company somehow.

Also I had a 8500 pound move, three bedroom house.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:33 pm

It's NOT a scam. You have moved at the busiest week of the year for movers. At least you're getting compensated for lodging and food. I understand how frustrating it is to be without your things. I had to deal with a scam mover and was without my things for over 8 weeks.

Trust me, they're working hard to get your things to you. Why don't you move into a hotel in the meantime, you'll be MUCH more confortable there. I will NEVER sleep on an air mattress again.

fkhan27

Postby fkhan27 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:36 pm

I understand it is the busiest time of the year for movers. That is why I contracted with a supposedly national professional moving company. However if they had let me know that this was how they operated I would never have used them. They led me to believe that on the day of the move the truck that was moving my stuff to Texas would show up. My stuff would be loaded onto the truck, the driver would go have my truck weighed, and then call me to let me know the final cost and approximate date he would arrive at the destination.

What actually happened was they showed up. The driver told me he was just a local driver and not going to Texas and that the real driver would be attaching his truck to the van back at their office. It turns out this is not what happened and that they placed the stuff in storage and are awaiting someone who will drive it cross country. My stuff will be loaded and unloaded a total of four times, increasing the risk of damage. If they had told me that my stuff may not be delivered for 3-6 weeks at the begining I would have never used them and neither should you. They knew full well they would not be able to deliver my things at the time they had promised. Whether they will actually pay for food and lodging remains to be seen. It will probably cost the price of the move by the time they deliver, they are already four days past due and they haven't even loaded the stuff onto truck that is still sitting in NJ. How much do you think a hotel room and food costs for a family of four per day?
So yes this is a total scam and misrepresentation and again YOU SHOULD NOT USE MAYFLOWER OR UNITED, you will be sorry if you do.

Michael

Postby Michael » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:53 pm

It is not a scam it is a service failure. And United Van Lines has nothing to do with it. In fact it could be a United truck that brings you to TX.

I understand your frustration and agree with you 100% in regards to promises. But let me throw something by you. You stated that if you knew that they would pick you up locally and sit you until they could find a truck and driver that you would not have chosen them. Well I would be willing to bet that the other van line agents you talked to didnt tell you they would do that either, did they?

The norm is to have the driver that picks you up deliver you. But apparently the van lines are busier then they claim to be are cannot handle the capacity. Nobody, and I mean nobody wants to APU a shipment, have it sit in their warehouse until a driver can be found. Trust me, its a bigger hassle then its worth. But it happens.

Stay in contact with them, not to the point of aggrevating, but stay on top of them.

Best of luck,
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

fkhan27

Postby fkhan27 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:39 pm

Michael,

You must work for mayflower :lol: A "service faliure" is exactly what Mayflower told me it was. There must be some movers lurking around because I cant believe anyone is defending these guys. I have called this company numerous times and they cannot even tell me if my stuff is going to be picked up, this week, this month, or this year. They could care less, and they do this all the time.

You should come talk to me three year old daughter who is distraught as to why her bed and toys are all missing for the past three weeks.
If every mover told me they would put the stuff in storage. I would have rented a truck and moved the stuff myself. It would have not been a lot more pleasant.
When I was in college I worked for Graebel movers and they never did this. I did not go with Graebel because in the the summer they do not allow a self pack.
Again DONT USE MAYFLOWER OR YOU WILL BE SORRY.

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:33 pm

Maybe they had a large move going your way that cancelled. You never know. In that case obviously, they could not send a 53ft semi truck across the country with only your shipment, they would lose thousands. Like Michael said, this is not a scam, a scam would involve huge charges at the end that you were not expecting and rest assured, Mayflower will not do that. You can't call United/Mayflower a scam company. How many moves do they do per year?

And NO, I do not work for Mayflower or any other van line for that matter.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 pm

I'm sorry if my post came off as non-compasionate. Actually, I know *EXACTLY* how you feel. It's not fun not knowing where your goods are at any particular time, and not knowing if/when they'll come. The good things is that with a major van line, you have the certainty that your things WILL come. It's also a plus that you'll get back your food/lodging costs!

It sucks bananas that you've had to go this long without your things, and I bet it's even worse with children. It was bad enough to be in a 3 bedroom apartment that was totally empty, save for an air mattress that would leak every other day and some plastic forks and plates.

I know you're frustrated and I feel your pain, honestly. I wonder if one of the professionals on this board that works for United/Mayflower could follow up on this for you?

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Most household goods carriers (yes, including Graebel!) have a minimum weight requirement to qualify for a delay and inconvenience claim when they fail to provide service on the agreed pick up and/or delivery date or period of time.

Typically if your shipment size meets the criteria for a delay claim on a full-service household goods move most reputable carriers will reimburse you 100% reasonable commercial lodging and 50% of dining out expenses substantiated with itemized receipts submitted within 30 days of the date of the delivery. The maximum reimbursement will be up to, but not to exceed, the discounted line haul. Reimbursement begins at 5:00 p.m. on the evening of the last day of the delivery spread and ends the morning of the day of delivery.

Most reputable carriers are also sensitive to extenuating circumstances where their service failure causes undo hardship. While they may not honor the typical lodging or meal receipts, they might accept receipts for items such as an inexpensive cookware set, crib or bed rental, clothes cleaning, and some groceries and personal care products, etc.

Here’s a link to Mayflower’s claim form. Ask your Dahill representative for guidance on what expenses might be considered for reimbursement.
http://www.mayflower.com/moving/search. ... m_form.pdf

coolgabe

Postby coolgabe » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:36 pm

fkhan27 wrote:Michael,

You must work for mayflower :lol: A "service faliure" is exactly what Mayflower told me it was. There must be some movers lurking around because I cant believe anyone is defending these guys. I have called this company numerous times and they cannot even tell me if my stuff is going to be picked up, this week, this month, or this year. They could care less, and they do this all the time.

You should come talk to me three year old daughter who is distraught as to why her bed and toys are all missing for the past three weeks.
If every mover told me they would put the stuff in storage. I would have rented a truck and moved the stuff myself. It would have not been a lot more pleasant.
When I was in college I worked for Graebel movers and they never did this. I did not go with Graebel because in the the summer they do not allow a self pack.
Again DONT USE MAYFLOWER OR YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Who told you, Graebel does not allow self pack in the summer? That is not true at all, I am a Graebel driver, and tomorrow I will pick up a shipment in New Jersey ( COD) which is full PBO's ( packed by owner).
And believe me, we have our share of APU shipments too, just as anyone else, the difference is, so far all of them are covered and delivered in time. But now I have an another assingement which might be late one day because 4 days is not enough to drive 3200 miles.
Also don't forget, its not just the busiest time of the year but you being on the East Coast, the most tonnage is always are from that area.... its a madhouse this time of the year....

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:42 am

I'm at the office, and if you'd like to pm me with your Mayflower Order Number, I can look it up and see what notes are entered in memo pad..

Since I don't stay constantly logged on, an email might be better.... I think my office email is my email of record here.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:49 am

Thanks Lee. It's nice of you to offer.

fkhan27

Postby fkhan27 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:05 am

Hi,

Cool Gabe - it was Graebel in Randolph, NJ that told me in summer they will only allow full packs, they do not allow self packs. This was also written in the estimate they gave me. I would have much rather gone with Graebel, my stuff would have already been here.
Also to the guy who wanted my number, it won't help. Like I said I have called the local agent, coroprate office, and these people could not care less. My calls are all documented as they told me. It is now over 2 weeks since they picked my stuff up and it is still sitting in storage. It will probably be 4 weeks in total before I get my stuff. Don't you all think that is totally unacceptable. I am a reasonable guy and understand a delay of a few days, but a delay of a few weeks on all your personal possesions is totally unacceptable for a professional company.
And yes Mayflower and United are the same company, because that is what they told me on the phone. If you google "mayflower delay", you will find numerous complaints and realize mine is not an isolated incident. This is the way they operate and they did not tell me that from the begining. So I still think this is a scam.
:twisted: DONT USE MAYFLOWER OR YOU WILL BE SORRY :evil:

Return to “Open Community”