From San Diego to Bay Area (Santa Clara)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
beanbuddy5

From San Diego to Bay Area (Santa Clara)

Postby beanbuddy5 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:36 pm

Hello People,

Firstly, a big thanks to the creator of this website. It is very very helpful. I appreciate all the hard work. Please keep it up!

I am moving from San Diego to the Bay Area in CA . My moving date is last week of July to the first week of Aug. I went through , made my notes regarding the guidelines in finding a mover. I have a 1 BR (ABOUT 2000LBS) of stuff to move. Maybe along with my car.

I did my research on this website as well as on YP and the internet. I have a list of 24 movers in my inbox and calling me . I did do a pre-screening but honestly , I seem to be confused in making my initial pick of 5. Hence , I seek your expertise. I am confused with so many movers in the San Diego and the Bay Area. I am reading the posts of the movers in San Diego but I do have Movers Inc in the back of my mind.

I seek your advice maybe a short list of 3-5 movers for my research to begin on them.

Thankyou for your time and advice.

Regards,
Beanbuddy.

farrah7031

Re: From San Diego to Bay Area (Santa Clara)

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:15 am

Stay away from any mover you found on the Find-A-mover websites. That's where the scammers reside, mostly.

Here's a list of reviews for San Diego companies. Make sure they come and do an in home estimate:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7576#57576

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:39 am

Any mover who will not come to your house should be tossed out. Any that do not reside in CA should be tossed out.

Some hints on reducing your number in your inbox:

If they right away offer you a Binding Estimate, Free Storage, or Coupons, be wary. Reputable movers will see what your needs are before offering you volume-based moves or storage. Coupons are mostly unnecessary because the full tarriff price is discounted on an already variable scale depending on business.

Take each name as it appears in their email and Google it in quotes. See what comments come up. If you see a bunch of complaints, toss them. if you see only two or three hits, they're brand new and should be inspected further, we can help you with that.

Ask each for their MC and DOT number. If they don't have a DOT number, they're a broker and should probably be avoided anyway. There's only a handful of Household Goods brokers that aren't tainted with bad press, and that's unfortunate for the good ones. Verify the DOT number through www.safersys.org and click on the License and Insurance page. There should be an "Active" next to either "Common" or "Contract" to be able to legally move you themselves interstate.

See what their BBB status is, and the number of complaints. Do not take membership itself as a be-all-end-all of quality, there are numerous dubious movers who have paid the membership fee, and once they're in, it takes many, many complaints to lose a membership.

Also (coming back to edit this in after I re-read your timeline), shopping with such short notice increases your chances of getting caught up with a scammer. Promises are not always kept, especially once they know you're looking very quickly and don't have much time to investigate. if you want, use us. Farrah and I are good at looking up companies' histories, and we can compile past comments from customers for specific movers. But probably the best thing to do is to jsut start all over and look at that Superlist Farrah linked you to, where Diane has already compiled reviews, both good and bad, on movers in your home area.

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:48 am

hi all, id like to say i have worked for many customers that found me from one of those find a mover website. i see you many times say this is where the scammers are, but this has been a great source of leads for me in my first years as a full service mover. some scammers reside on these sites, butbsome scammers reside at van lines to, so lets just tell people do again do their homework.
don.
don,owner of so cal moving company

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:03 am

I'm sorry to say this Don, but as a consumer-protection website, the odds are stacked against you on a find-a-mover website. Yes, good independants and van line agents advertise on those sites, but so do a large portion of movers who give your industry a bad name.

Since the ordinary first-time moving customer does not know how to decipher all the information that comes along with a moving company, it's best to just say "avoid the find-a-mover websites and look locally".

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:59 am

donatsts wrote:i have worked for many customers that found me from one of those find a mover website. i see you many times say this is where the scammers are, but this has been a great source of leads for me in my first years as a full service mover. some scammers reside on these sites, butbsome scammers reside at van lines to

Which find-a-mover website do you get customers from, Don? If you're talking about www.uShip.com, I don't put that in the same category as the bad find-a-mover websites. On uShip.com, customers can read bona fide reviews of the movers and comments by the movers themselves to get a sense of how the companies operate.

As for "some scammers reside at van lines," not many, in my opinion. A much greater problem for van line agents than outright scamming is inefficiency and incompetence.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:00 pm

hi ladies, i understand what youre doing and thats why i keep coming back. you do a great service here and im proud to be a part of it, in any way. the site i subscribe to is 123movers. its been a good investment to date. i have to really sell my services but once i get on the phone, most concerns of the customer are usually answered. its been a lot of fun going from driver to owner, ive got two trucks and a warehouse and will bu putting a 40 ft trailer on the road aug 1st. i
sorry if i seem a little touchy, its not so easy to compete with the big guys out here, and finding customers is being done soley on word of mouth, and slowly but surely, at the end of the day my schdule is full.
i have had some experience with scammers on the web based referrals though, one guy whom i hear about from all those i calls keeps telling people that it is state law that he has to charge travel time. this is false because i could do the job for free if i wanted. some people pray on the uninformed and thats what makes what you do here so valuable.
anyway, yellow pages are expensive and ill keep at the movers site for the rest of this year and maybe ask your advice on advertising later.
thanks, don

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Well Don, after going to that site and looking at the movers advertised there, I'm guessing there are at least 50% of them on there (probably more) that have "questionable practices". That's a much higher number than if people stick with our recommendations and our superlist.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 pm

Don, if you did what Farrah did and looked at the other movers that are listed alongisde you, then you went and got quotes from each of them for say, an LA to NYC move, you'd find your inbox cluttered with all sorts of unbelieveable promises and low prices. Ther's no way that an honest guy trying to grow a small moving company can compete with their lies when you're telling potential customers the true costs of moving. Either you have to lie to compete, or you should advertise somewhere where you're not lumped in with a bad crowd.

Any mover who gives these sites business is helping to keep them afloat, which is how so many people keep ending up at our site decribing bad moves. Nothing personal, just think about it. I know you want to be known as a good mover.

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:21 pm

I have tried the same argument here Don. I advertise with a few of those sites and it is VERY difficult getting business from them because of the liars listed with them. I did ask for a quote from PHX to Las Vegas and got quotes for a 3 bedroom home as low as $1500. Not bad I'd say, $.19/lb. LOL Anyways my point is that don't try to change their mind about find-a-mover sites. It won't ever happen but they do have good reasons for their point of view on the subject.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:32 pm

Yes, between the time Jimmy Carter deregulated airlines and movers, and the invention of the internet, which allowed crooks to crawl out from under rocks and put up a pretty website, and snare price sensitive people and old people, and there goes this industry down the slipper slope of financial death spiral.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:01 pm

Maybe y'all can help both Don and I. Where WOULD be a good place for a small mover to advertise, other than the yellow pages? Your answers can help us direct people to other places of advertising.

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:14 pm

I have tried some of the smaller phone books and they don't work at all. About 20% of our moves come from referrals but other than that we rely almost completely on internet sites for our new customers. I haven't been able to find any other decent way to advertise and the main yellow pages is just way too expensive for most companies.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:19 pm

OK. So until the find-a-mover sites take some responsibility for their responsibility, you all have to suffer the loss of business just because you have scruples. I'm truly sorry for that. We'll do our part by outing the bad'uns and calling the sites on it, hopefully it'll help you tiny bit by tiny bit.

So far, I've only managed to get vanlines.com to remove one unlicensed mover, but they're already back up under a different name (with no license).
Last edited by MusicMom on Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donatsts

Postby donatsts » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:32 pm

thanks for the advice people. im sitting here looking at my second truck with its rings and pistons all over the groung, so sad. anyway, im going to do 1 more month with 123 movers, and yes it is hard to tell people that the price they tell me im competing with is a lie. so let me ask you this, could i direct these people here to ask them to ask you about the companies they are considering?
i m hoping to get the customers educated a little,and it will be better coming from you.
also i just saoent an hour looking over the mighty movers saga, that was some claasic conversation going on there
later, don
thanks again.

Return to “Open Community”