Should I buy my own trailer?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
jage

Should I buy my own trailer?

Postby jage » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:26 pm

A year ago we moved to Tucson and rented a house, now we're thinking about moving to Denver. I want to avoid getting ripped off again (the original move was from Indianapolis and a typical scam story).

I have an F250 Crew Cab which is a killer tow vehicle and I was thinking about buying a 24' car hauler- which is about 23'Lx8'Wx6.5'T and has a rear ramp and side door. I estimate moving the whole shebang in two trips, plus using the trailer as storage.

We're planning on renting again in Denver, so even if it's perfect we'll have at least one more move in our future-

So- has anyone else taken this approach? Any advice?

I'm going to be comparing this to U-pack services or renting a truck, although with a trailer of my own I would have unlimited time to pack (saving money on hiring independant loaders and unloaders).

BigLeeCalif

Re: Should I buy my own trailer?

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:12 pm

You'd better contact your DMV and manufacturer to find out what the Gross Vehicle Weight limit is, and whether it is safe.

If you're going to buy a 24' trailer, go ahead and buy a bobtail, and when you're done start your own company.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:34 am

I used a 24ft trailer behind my F-250 diesel for several years with my moving company. I was able to squeeze in about an average 1750 sq ft home. Remember that I was doing this everyday and packing that much into a 24ft trailer (6'8" inside height) was no easy task but it can be done.

BBATCO1

Postby BBATCO1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:42 pm

I used to use my 20' car trailer for side jobs and it worked great. I now have a 28' and its to pretty inside to want to do that anymore.

Return to “Open Community”