Ware's Van and Storage (Philly PA area)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
purcellj

Ware's Van and Storage (Philly PA area)

Postby purcellj » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:31 am

Scheduled first appointment about a week in advance. The day of the appointment, the estimator called to cancel due to a "double booking".

Rescheduled for 2 days later.

Two days pass, estimator calls again to cancel.

Called the Manager of Customer Service to complain. Manager agreed that this behavior wasn't acceptable. Manager attempted to have another estimator keep the appointment, but wasn't able to due to prior commitment.

Customer Service: A (for trying)
Estimator: F

Sorry but I don't believe in 3 strikes. If you can't keep 2 appointments, why would I believe that they would keep the move date.

Diane

Re: Ware's Van and Storage (Philly PA area)

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:37 am

This is surprising because industry people have said that Ware's (United) has a good reputation. I will add your comments to the Superlist linked to below my name.

Out of curiosity, what size load do you have and where are you moving to?
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

purcellj

Postby purcellj » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:12 pm

Diane wrote:Out of curiosity, what size load do you have and where are you moving to?

3-bedroom house and it's a local move (10 miles)

purcellj

Postby purcellj » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Diane wrote:This is surprising because industry people have said that Ware's (United) has a good reputation.

They don't answer the phone with United, but with Ware's / McCollister. I don't know if an ownership/affiliation change occurred or not.

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks. Anybody in the industry know whether Ware's has merged with McCollister's or what is going on? I would like to keep the Superlist current.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:11 pm

Yes, Mccollisters has gobbled them up. Wares was a fine agent, the original owner, Maurice Greenblatt, was the Chairman of the board of United Van Lines for 18-20 years and a good one. Don't know any details.

A mover is not a bad mover because the sales person did not show for the appointment as promised, it happens. I've had shippers fail to show too, it works both ways.

Whenever the salesperson fails to show, or does anything at all to annoy or upset a prospective customer, there is no way that the mover can win, as the customer will have the thought that 'this has gone bad from day 1' so my suggestion is to apologize and just let that customer deal with another mover, their opinion of you is already tainted.

Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Another agent gobbled up by Dan. Hopefully he wont spit them out like he has others.

I agree with Archie. S%^& happens when it comes to surveys at times. Both the shippers fault and the surveyors. I am willing to bet that movers have been stood up way more then shippers.

And I agree with the shipper, move on.

But it doesnt make them a bad agent or company. And why it needs to be posted to the super list I dont get or understand.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

purcellj

Postby purcellj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:43 am

Michael wrote:But it doesnt make them a bad agent or company. And why it needs to be posted to the super list I dont get or understand.

Would you call them 'good' for wasting my time? I'm not trying to make a federal case out of it. And it's nowhere near on par with someone else's experience where their belongings are being held hostage.

The current "superlist" entry for Ware's mentions them being a "gold standard". If it's gold, it's pretty tarnished.

Michael

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:45 am

Yes I would call them a good mover. I would say they lacked customer service in your particular case.

And give me a break on tarnished. One missed appointment or two does not nullify a companies 50 + years in the moving industry doing things right. Nor does it tarnish them.

Like you said, move on. Honestly its no skin off their teeth that you do. But I am sure they will deal with their sales person in the manner they see fit. And if they deal with him in the correct manner they hit this guy over the head with how their quality and service is the utmost importance to them and that they do things the right way the first time. What he did was wrong.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:14 am

I think it's legitimate to note on the Superlist that the company has been taken over by McCollister's. I also think it's legitimate to note that one of its sales reps cancelled an estimate appointment twice and the GM couldn't find anyone to go to the home to replace him.

We are not saying that this company is bad. But just on the face of it, it seems to me that during the off season, most moving companies would try their best to send someone to the home to quote on a large, potentially profitable local move like this. If they couldn't, perhaps the ownership change is causing some kind of service difficulty that customers should know about. Our mission on this website is always to protect consumers first and foremost.

purcellj

Postby purcellj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:17 am

I think you should look at the "superlist" again. It is a collection of individual experiences; good and bad. Some of the existing comments include having to keep chasing salespeople down for estimates. I think this my experience is on par.

The list admin is free to use the information I provided or not.

If you go back to my original post, I never trashed the company, and I even gave customer service kudos for trying to make it right. I only trashed the estimator.

You make it sound like I slammed the entire company when I didn't.

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:49 am

The problem is that you did in your subsequent posts.

Would you call them 'good' for wasting my time? I'm not trying to make a federal case out of it. And it's nowhere near on par with someone else's experience where their belongings are being held hostage.

The current "superlist" entry for Ware's mentions them being a "gold standard". If it's gold, it's pretty tarnished.

Yes, the sales rep was wrong, but you were being glib in your comments for a mover you never used, and those comments slammed the mover. His actions do not "tarnish" the reputation of an entire agency unless there is repeated occurances of the same thing. It does tarnish him for this one instance and eventually tarnishes the agency and management if it becomes an ongoing problem.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

weem

Postby weem » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 pm

When Greenblatt owned Wares, they were very good---my main competitor --for more than a decade---and their sales people were great in every way. Doesn't surprise me to see a decline with new ownership.

smatwilly

Postby smatwilly » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:58 pm

As a salesperson who "hates" to be late I can understand your frustration! It doesnt paint a pretty "overall" picture---Had I been in your shoes I would NOT have used the company for a move. It starts with the salesperson----if they dont remember to show up than how do you know they will remember to schedule your move -- its too bad because the moving crew may do a great job but you will never know because you lost faith from the beginning----cant blame -- I would have called someone else......

purcellj

Postby purcellj » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Jim wrote:

The problem is that you did in your subsequent posts.

So "tarnished gold" is a major insult. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm in an argument.

Return to “Open Community”