NorthStar Moving, Chatsworth, CA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
princessandafrog

NorthStar Moving, Chatsworth, CA

Postby princessandafrog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:28 pm

I've received a quote from NorthStar Moving for a small (800 sq ft. apartment) local move in the Ventura County area. They're extremely well rated on Angies List. However, on this site it seems in the past people recommended NOT using them, but I can't seem to find the reasons why they're bad.

I know we've already established that they aren't affiliated with the scammers by the same name out of Florida, so that's not the reason. So, has anyone had a particularly negative experience with NorthStar in Chatsworth? Is there something I've I missed?

Finally, I'm curious as to what your opinions are on the importance of in-home estimates for local moves. There aren't a lot of great options in the Ventura area, so I've been getting a couple quotes from companies approx 30 mi away. If they say they're too far to send an estimator, should I no longer consider them?

farrah7031

Re: NorthStar Moving, Chatsworth, CA

Postby farrah7031 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:54 pm

They're required by law to do an in home estimate if you're within 50 miles of their business.

princessandafrog

Postby princessandafrog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:43 pm

Ah ha! Well, that solves that problem. Thanks for the advice. :)

PHX Mover

Postby PHX Mover » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 am

Farrah, I thought the 50 mile law only applied to Long Distance moves? Is it a law in California to do this for local moves as well?

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:33 am

Ah HA! Good question. Let me ask one of our CA pros.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:49 am

I got a PM from Farrah, but thought I'd reply publicly too:

No, that is a federal regulation, so not requried on in-state moves.

However, we are required to issue a GNTE on EVERY move, even phone orders. Our employees have to spend a lot of time on the phone and get as much info as possible. We then need to make an educated guess/estimate at the total time needed and the maximum dollar amount.

So, if someone has a 1 bedroom apt, my customer service person may figure 2 hours to load, 1 hour drive, and 2 hours to unload. That's 5 hours total at our rate of $100 per hour. Then you can add a little "fudge" to the price for just in case the customer isn't ready.

Say I bump that $500 guess to a $600 GNTE. That figure MUST be typed on the Bill of Lading before the customer signs it. On move day, we can NOT charge more than $600 without a signature by the customer.

So phone orders are risky, we only do them on very small moves. You have to commit to a GNTE. I really prefer an in-home estimate, although it's not required.

When this law first came about, some movers literally pre-printed all their Bill of Ladings with a $10,000 GNTE. They got busted by the PUC. The law states we must do a specific GNTE on each move.

Hope that makes sense!

Return to “Open Community”