Need advice on moving from a storage unit in Ohio

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
audley

Need advice on moving from a storage unit in Ohio

Postby audley » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 am

I recently relocated to Brooklyn, but most of my stuff is in a mini-storage unit in Southeast Ohio. It's all packed and ready to go, but I can't be there to load the truck myself, or to get on-site estimates from local movers. I do not have a representative in town who can devote much time to interviewing movers -- I have to do it all over the phone. Am I setting myself up for a disaster, or is there a way to do this that is tested and safe? Many thanks.

Michael

Re: Need advice on moving from a storage unit in Ohio

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:33 am

Audley,

Where in hio is the unit? I would call representatives from United (Planes is a huge agent in Ohio), Atlas, and Allied. Walk them through a detailed list of the items you have in the unit.
-Let them know if anything needs to be packed, repacked or if everything is ready to go.
-Let them know if an 18 wheeler can access your unit and storage facility, ask the management of the facility and dont take it upon yourself to answer this. Get approval from management.
-If the truck can access the unit let them know if it is an indoor unit or an outdoor unit. If indoor, how far of a walk is it from where the truck parks to the unit itself.
-If you can schedule at least 1 on sight visit, you may be able to go back to the other three with some answers to the above questions.

Keep in mind I dont think any will give you a Not to Exceed if they cannot see the goods and access, this is very much acceptable. Chances are you will have a non binding, sight unseen, and will need to sign a waiver stating you waived your right to have a physical survey.

You should have someone there at time of load that can act on your behalf. This is when the inventory is done, description and condition of the articles is listed and the Bill of Lading is signed.

This is a good start to get you going.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget

Postby 23 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:41 am

Audley,

What size Unit do you have the items stored in?

How dense is the unit packed?

What city in SE Ohio are the items located?

We should be able to get you an estimate of the weight from this information and be able to run the mileage for you.

audley

Postby audley » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:50 am

The unit is 5 feet wide, 10 feet long, and I think about 8 feet high. It's in Athens, OH. I estimate that the density is about 50 - 60% -- it's not packed up to the ceiling, and only the back wall is stacked with boxes to any height. There's a few pieces of light furniture (maybe 6), a few pieces of medium sized furniture (5), some bags of soft goods, and about 45 boxes -- mostly the small, liquor store variety.

Postby 23 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:55 am

It sounds as if you have between 2100 - 2600#.

Just realized you are moving to Brooklyn, NY.

You should be able to get a real good ballpark price from movers with these weights.

Return to “Open Community”