Understanding Mayflower

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
hrogers

Understanding Mayflower

Postby hrogers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:16 pm

Hi. First time poster here. I have tried to do my due diligence and searched on the term "Mayflower", after reading the extremely good information on the history of the moving business in the US, and the recommendations on how to find a good mover. Before doing that, I was swamped by a deluge of pushy brokers when I made the mistake of attempting to do some "comparative reviewing". Ha! Not much like priceline.com, etc. Of course, I wasn't comparing movers, I was broadcasting the possible presence of a sucker to countless brokers :-) My question is this: The rather small town of Fayetteville, AR has an "agent" for Mayflower. I looked them up under the DOT number shown on their website, and it just lists the info on Mayflower. I already know I want to do business only with the actual hauler, but I don't understand this "agent" relationship with Mayflower. It seems that this is how Mayflower does all of it's business? If I hire the local Mayflower agent, am I doing business with the hauler or with a broker? Thanks for any clarification or info about additional things I might not have thought about here.
hrogers

jengsa

Re: Understanding Mayflower

Postby jengsa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:16 pm

It depends on where you are moving to. If you are moving within the state or perhaps less than 600 miles, the "agent" would most likely handle your shipment all the way (pack, load, deliver). If you are moving cross country, the local "agent" would most likely just be packing your shipment for a Mayflower driver to haul. Once driver arrived at destination, he or she would obtain labor from the destination agent (local agent in new city/town) to help him or her unload the shipment. Make sense?

hrogers

Postby hrogers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:29 pm

Yes, it makes perfect sense, and excuse me for omitting that the destination is Arlington, WA. But this does not affect my original question, which pertains to the business relationship between the local agent and Mayflower. If I deal with the local agent, am I dealing with a broker, or am I dealing "directly" with the mover (Mayflower)?

az ops man

Postby az ops man » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:37 pm

you are dealing with Mayflower

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Are you dealing with Admiral Mayflower? They are very reputable in that area so you should be fine.

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm

Your interstate HHG shipment will be handled under the motor carrier operating authority of the company listed on the bill of lading. In your case, Admiral Moving Services is an agent of Mayflower Transit, Inc. Winter Moving and Storage in Bentonville is an agent of Atlas Van Lines. Kennan in Rogers is an agent of North American Van Lines. Request each company that you consider to provide an in-home estimate

May my mover have agents?
http://www.protectyourmove.gov/consumer ... .htm#Bfour

Check out all of the sections of FMCSA's Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move booklet found at the Protect Your Move website.

hrogers

Re: was Understanding Mayflower, now weighing for overages question

Postby hrogers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:22 pm

OK, thanks guys. Yes, I was looking at Admiral, but I wanted to be clear on this issue before I even contact them. We will see how they do. I also contacted Moovers Inc., due to the generally good reports on them, as well. All looks good there, except for their inability to stop by for an in-person estimate, relying, instead, on an inventory list, a "guesstimate" for the weight, and an open-ended agreement, with the provision to make adjustments after the truck is loaded, and presumably weighed. Now weighing is a great idea, and eliminates all guesswork, but having never been down this road before, I have a question there, as well. Here is how I would like to see that happen, in a "perfect world". I will meet the moving truck at a local weighing scale, and observe the weighing before pack and load. We will then proceed directly to the residence, pack, and load. We will then drive back to the scale and weigh, agreeing upon any additional charges, if the weight requires it. I will sign off on the additional charges, and they will sign off on that being the final price at delivery. Anyone done it this way? If they balk, I would be suspicious. If they are honest, I cannot imagine an objection to doing it this way. Comments?

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Read the section on weighing in the Rights and Responsibilities booklet. Bill and Lisa Locke at Admiral are both good people and are as honest as the day is long.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Why can't Moovers get a local agent (even of another Van Lines) to do an origin survey for them? It seems that since they are endorsed on this site that they get to skate around the correct process for obtaining a quote. Ine one breath you will be told to only deal with a local company that will do a free, in-home survey and in the next you bill be told that it is OK for Moovers to do theri quote based on a form. When we need as out of area survey done we are able to find an agent to do the in-hoome survey, why can't Moovers?

I would just get quotes form the companies Rick has suggested. Forget the out area "independent"

hrogers

Postby hrogers » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks, Rick. Can you tell me how you come to know about the folks at Admiral? Did they do a move for you?
-Hrogers

Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Bill has been a fixture around the industry for over 25 years at both the corporate van line and national agency level. Lisa's the only one smart (or shrewed) enough to get him to settle down.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:02 pm

hrogers, Rick has been in the moving business for a long time, but doesn't work for Admiral.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Moovers is a very reputable company, and I have referred people to them that have been very happy.

For a company to be independent doesn't mean that their system is ineffective. I designed a system almost 20 yrs ago that is basically a computerized cube sheet. Many companies now use some sort of computerized cube sheet, whether their sales people have them, or have them on their web sites.

As on a visual survey, any estimate is only as good as the information provided. I see a lot of times sales people depend on a shipper saying that only "these" items are going, but then on move day they weren't able to get rid of them, so the weight goes up.

When agents are not a part of a network, they have to pay survey fees to get visual surveys done.

Moovers has been successful because of their 100% disclosure of all, and any possible charges that may occur.

Whether or not a company does a visual makes a difference. The reason we encourage people to contact Moovers is the reports that come back from OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE MOVED WITH THEM. Ever since time began, word of mouth has been the most effective form of advertising.

Being a part of a van line family I can tell you that sometimes we get surveys back from Origin agents who have done a visual, and the weight is 4000 - 5000 lbs off.

And Moovers doesn't skate around anything. And if you can find an agent across country that will do a free survey for you, then consider yourself blessed.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

blue

Postby blue » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:58 am

And Moovers doesn't skate around anything.

But they aren't against "politely asking for more money" if the actual weight exceeds what they thought they were quoting.

I'll concede they may not be a 'hostage taker', but if in fact they are politely asking for more money on GNTE, they are breaking the rules......and getting endorsed.

JMillerFL

Postby JMillerFL » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:43 am

Some times you have to get off your wallet and pay to have a survey done if ity is out of area. As Blue says they seem to get to adjust the rules of a binding quote becuase they were unable to do an in-home survey. This site seeems to have a double standard when it comes to the "select" companies that seem to get the "push" on this website. If Moovers is big enough to do out of area moves without Van Lines representation their pockets should be deep enough to pay for a survey. :roll:

Return to “Open Community”