mving from US to Canada with Mayflower vs. NAVL?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
chambly

mving from US to Canada with Mayflower vs. NAVL?

Postby chambly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 am

We're moving from Denver to Toronto, Canada soon. Does anyone have experience in a cross-border move with either Mayflower or North American Van Lines?

Any comments are welcome!

Re: mving from US to Canada with Mayflower vs. NAVL?

Postby 23 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Both of those Van Lines have their own Canadian teams that assist with your shipment. Your sales rep should be able to direct you to them if you have specific questions pertaining to customs and clearance.

I would feel comfortable using either one of them.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Unigroup, Inc. is the parent company of United Van Lines, Inc. and Mayflower Transit, Inc. Both United and Mayflower have Canadian affiliated companies based in Toronto. Many of their Canadian agents have driver qualified to move customers cross border.

NorthAmerican Van Lines is part of SIRVA, Inc. which is also the parent of Allied Van Lines. Both carriers are licensed to handle shipments traveling northbound but lack the Canadian corporate offices like Unigroup. Atlas Van Lines is the same. The have partnerships with several Canadian based van lines but don’t have a formal presence in the Provinces.

Any of the major carriers have the equipment and authority to handle your relocation. If you have general questions, send Fred0844 a PM. He’s with a Canadian agent based in Toronto and is the resident pro on US/Canadian cross border moves.

chambly

Postby chambly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Thanks for explaining the parent companies for the various lines. Since SIRVA is in bankruptcy protection, maybe my safest bet would be with Mayflower.

I appreciate all the comments!

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Keep in mind that only SIRVA is in bankruptcy protection. Both thier van lines (NAVL & Allied) are running @ full operations. 8)

onthejourney

Postby onthejourney » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:43 pm

A small correction . . .

With all due respect, and because this is MovingScam.com, people need to understand the TRUE story of Sirva, Allied Van Lines & NorthAmerican Van Lines.

Because some of us have been scammed by untrue propoganda from Allied, NorthAmerican & Sirva.

THEY DID FILE CHAPTER 11. ALL OF THEM. They are continuing to operate under protection of the bankruptcy courts.

Listed below is the complete list of all the Sirva companies operating in bankruptcy.

According to the plan filed with the court, unsecured creditors (which according to court documents include their agents) will get nothing of what is owed to them. Also their stockholders (including many agents) are slated to lose their entire investments.

Selecting an agency that has just been told they are not being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars (and there are many) can be very risky. Until Sirva finishes the court battle and emerges from bankruptcy, there is very real risk in entrusting all one's worldly possesions to them.

Along with the Debtor, North American Van Lines, Inc., the following affiliated debtors contemporaneously have filed chapter 11 petitions in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York:
1. A Five Star Forwarding, Inc.
2. A Relocation Solutions Management Company
3. A Three Rivers Forwarding, Inc.
4. A.V.L. Transportation, Inc.
5. Alaska USA Van Lines, Inc.
6. Allied Alliance Forwarding, Inc
7. Allied Continental Forwarding, Inc.
8. Allied Domestic Forwarding, Inc.
9. Allied Freight Forwarding, Inc.
10. Allied Intermodal Forwarding, Inc.
11. Allied International, N.A. Inc.
12. Allied Interstate Transportation, Inc.
13. Allied Transcontinental Forwarding, Inc.
14. Allied Transportation Forwarding, Inc.
15. Allied Van Lines Terminal Company
16. Allied Van Lines, Inc.
17. Allied Van Lines, Inc.
of Indiana
18. Americas Quality Van Lines, Inc.
19. Anaheim Moving Systems, Inc.
20. Cartwright Moving & Storage Co., Inc.
21. Cartwright Van Lines, Inc.
22. City Storage & Transfer, Inc.
23. CMS Holding, LLC
24. DJK Residential LLC
25. Executive Relocation Corporation
26. Federal Traffic Service, Inc.
27. Fleet Insurance Management, Inc.
28. FrontRunner Worldwide, Inc.
29. Global Van Lines, Inc.
30. Global Worldwide, Inc.
31. Great Falls North American, Inc.
32. Lyon Van Lines, Inc.
33. Lyon Worldwide Shipping, Inc.
34. Manufacturing Support Services, LLC
35. Meridian Mobility Resources, Inc.
36. Move Management Services, Inc.
37. NA (UK) GP Corporation
38. NACAL, Inc.
39. NAVL LLC
40. NorAm Forwarding, Inc.
41. North American Forwarding, Inc.
42. North American International Holding Corporation
43. North American International N.A., Inc.
44. North American Logistics, Ltd.
45. North American Van Lines of Texas, Inc.
46. Relocation Risk Solutions, LLC
47. RS Acquisition Holding, LLC
48. RS Acquisition, LLC
49. SIRVA Container Lines, Inc.
50. SIRVA Freight Forwarding, Inc.
51. SIRVA Global Relocation, Inc.
52. SIRVA Imaging Solutions, Inc.
53. SIRVA MLS, Inc.
54. SIRVA Relocation LLC
55. SIRVA Settlement of Alabama, LLC
56. SIRVA Settlement, Inc.
57. SIRVA Worldwide, Inc.
58. SIRVA, Inc.
59. Trident Transport International, Inc.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:49 am

Request (no insist) the driver manifests to the customs office in Brampton (west end of Toronto) or Oshawa (east end of Toronto), NOT Dixie Rd.

The Dixie Rd. office has become a nightmare since change of ownership. Most regular cross border drivers are aware of this and will not go there.

bosoxfan

Postby bosoxfan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:18 am

On the journey - your comment is absolutely ridiculous that you should not choose an agent from the Sirva family (AVL or NAVL). Yes - Sirva is having some issues, but to say that you can not entrust your belongings to their agents is wrong. Ward, Beltmann and Allen & Coles from NAVL and Bayshore and Berger from AVL just to name a few, offer tremendous service to their clients and they can be relied upon whether it is a residential or corporate move. And No - I do not work for Sirva or any of their entities.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 pm

onthejourney, that IS a ridiculous statement. If you knew anything about the SIRVA BK, it has nothing to do with the vanline operations of SIRVA, and with the DIP Financing obtained for the entire SIRVA entity, they will not have any problem handling any move. Their move operations are profitable and will continue to be profitable. It is the Real Estate segments of the company that are at great risk and caused the BK to occur.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World

bjones

Postby bjones » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Agreed....On the Journey, I feel your comments are out of line. Yes, we all know SIRVA filed chapter 11; however, all their companies are operating under full capacity.

As part of the SIRVA family, I can assure you we are strong. As someone stated, the chapter 11 filing came about due to their real estate division.

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:38 am

I'm sure agents for both companies in Canada are going to do OK by you. I did just recently hear that Mayflower Canada has had some growth and attracted a few new agents whose trucks were previously painted different colors. If they are attracting new agents, I think it's usually a sign of perceived quality, at the very least.

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:30 pm

Mayflower Canada is growing every month both with new members and market share. I understand that there are many movers expressing interest in going green.

ArchieWhite

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:07 pm

They better hurry up and go green, since green will soon be white (mostly) :lol:

We painted one right before the paint scheme change, and now we gotta wait 20 years to repaint it.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:29 am

Hey Archie is it me, or does it seem like the change to white has slowed? For a while I was seeing white all the time. Now I can't remember the last time I saw one, except for tractors.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Fred0844

Postby Fred0844 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:22 am

I can hardly wait for the white to go green. My snow blower has been working harder than my trucks.

Return to “Open Community”