Mover Advice: Moving from DC to Philadelphia

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Phillybound

Mover Advice: Moving from DC to Philadelphia

Postby Phillybound » Fri May 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi all. I am so happy that someone turned me on to this site. The articles, as well as all of your posts are enormously helpful. I am looking for advice on picking a mover after having done some initial research on this site, among other places, and based on receiving in-home estimates.

I am moving from DC to Philadelphia in late July and I have gotten estimates from the following companies:

Victory Van
Hilldrup
Security Storage of Washington, DC
Town & Country

My move is being paid for by my employer and all of the estimates we received fall within the price that my employer will cover, so I'm really just looking for which company is going to be the most reliable, easiest to work with, least likely to result in problems, etc.

Right now, my inclination is to use Hilldrup or Town & Country because they were able to guarantee the shortest delivery time (both said that they could pack up our stuff on a Saturday and deliver it by Monday). Is that a good enough reason to choose one over the other, or should I be concerned about other factors? they all seem to get very good ratings, they all use their own employees all of whom are trained, they all are AMSA certified, they employ Certified Moving Consultants, and they all carry significant insurance, so I'm not sure what other factors I should be basing my decision on. I would be grateful for any advice that you have.

Do any of you have any recommendations of places that are particularly good, or ones that maybe should be avoided? Or if there is anything else I should be thinking about, please let me know.

Thanks so much!

Phillybound

bosoxfan

Re: Mover Advice: Moving from DC to Philadelphia

Postby bosoxfan » Fri May 09, 2008 3:43 pm

Check out Bayshore as they are located in DC and have a site in Newark, DE which is 25 miles south of Philly. They are consistently recognized for their quality of service by their parent company, Allied Van Lines.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Actually, the 4 you listed are all excellent, there's no need for another mover in the lineup.

The first 3 are van line agents.

In deciding between the estimates, look them over to make sure they have the same items listed on the inventory, that the same services are being discussed, and that all other factors are the same. If they are, then yes, the delivery dates would be a good narrowing-down point.

Between Hilldrup and T&C, what are the prices? Are they non-binding, or either binding or guaranteed not to exceed?

chaz4moving

Postby chaz4moving » Fri May 09, 2008 7:24 pm

You are correct MusicMom that all four of the companies Phillybound received estimates from are quality companies; however, bosoxfan makes a valid point regarding Bayshore Transportation Services. With offices at both ends of the move, their reputation will take a double hit should the job not go well. In addition, they run an extremely good operation and are well known in the Allied system for their quality. Based on the short distance, all of the movers will be handling this relocation with their own truck and moving crew. Normally, I would say getting 5 estimates is a bit much, but I think, in this particular instance, it may be worthwhile to give Bayshore a shot, as well. You could contact either their Woodbridge VA office or their Newark DE office.

Phillybound

Postby Phillybound » Fri May 09, 2008 8:29 pm

Thanks everyone.

MusicMom: thanks for the tips. all other factors seem to be the same, but I will double check. Both T&C and and Hilldrup gave pretty similar estimates: both around $4500 (this includes packing services and insurance coverage). Any thoughts?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 10, 2008 10:00 am

OK, I defer to the guys in Bayshore.

angelicalee8

Postby angelicalee8 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:26 am

I am also moving from DC to New York because I got a job working on some Off Broadway Plays and Broadway Shows, and I am wondering which is the best moving company I should go with. I need to box up a three bedroom house that is fully furnished, and there is quite a bit of fragile stuff to move. Any suggestions on companies that will treat my stuff carefully and not cost too much would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
Last edited by angelicalee8 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:31 pm

I think you should check your area for van line agents.

I think a great mover in your area is JK Moving out of Sterling, VA. They have more trucks than some of the smaller van lines. Over 150.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”