Need Help! Info on Binding NTE estimate

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Lynn

Need Help! Info on Binding NTE estimate

Postby Lynn » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:28 pm

Hello,

I like many others started searching for moving companies on the internet...then I found movingscam...since, I've taken the advice of many and called some of the local movers to get more info.

We are moving from LA to MI...we have a pretty small move...apx. 3500lbs...at least that's what the online calcuators have come up with.

So far every company I have called either won't come out to do an in-home estimate...AND all have said that they will NOT offer a Binding Not-to-Exceed estimate. Or even just someone anyone has had a good experience with?

I originally was trying to stay away from the bigger companies, i.e...Atlas, United...etc...b/c I was afarid that they were brokers...and it seemed like there were so many complaints about them...so then I moved on to the smaller companies in my area: Hercules Van Lines, Sterling Van Lines, E-Z movers...

Hercules wouldn't do an inhome...they said since that since it's such a small move they don't need to...they gave me a price based on LBs, BUT they didn't know what Tarriff 400N was! AND they said the estimate isn't binding...

Sterling seemed nice...Again said an inhome isn't neccassary...They said they're pricing is based one of two ways...1. by Tarriff 400N OR 2. by a guesstimate weight that they would calculate based on a list of items that I provide. They said that they won't gurantee the price based on #1 but they will based on #2. I'm scared b/c with the #2 option they will never acutally be weighing my items...Should I be scared? I also read on one of the threads that they require a deposit...I haven't gotten to that point with them yet, but that concerns me as well...

E-z Mover...just never called back..I think my small move wasn't worth their time during the busy season!

SO...I need help...Could anyone give me the name of some movers who usually offer a binding Not to exceed estimate?

I would be so greatful! I have a new 4 mth old baby...and I have so little time to keep doing research! Thanks!

Nancy

Re: Need Help! Info on Binding NTE estimate

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:31 pm

When do you need to move?

You should contact agents for some of the major van lines, and see if they will come to an in home estimate. The major van lines are United, Atlas, Bekins, Allied, North American, Mayflower, etc. Look in the yellow pages of your phone book for their agents, or go to the corporate websites.

Find companies that will come to your home for the estimate, and then go visit their facilities.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:05 pm

Lynn wrote:I originally was trying to stay away from the bigger companies, i.e...Atlas, United...etc...b/c I was afarid that they were brokers...and it seemed like there were so many complaints about them...so then I moved on to the smaller companies in my area: Hercules Van Lines, Sterling Van Lines, E-Z movers...

Lynn,

The major van lines that Nancy mentioned are not brokers. There is variation in quality from agent to agent of those van lines, that's all. Some are better than others. I assume that by "complaints" you mean complaints on websites like Epinions. Remember that people who are unhappy are more likely to write in to a website like that than people who are happy.

Hercules Van Lines is a scammer. I think I remember researching E-Z Movers and it also looked very dubious. Sterling Van Lines in Florida is on the blacklist on this website and is a major scammer.

Note, however, that it is different from the Sterling Van Lines in California, which is a reputable company specializing in small moves either within California or into or out of California. The Sterling Van Lines in Los Angeles, CA, with website at www.sterlingvanlines.com might be one company for you to get an estimate from. It has been in business for more than 13 years with the same owners. I believe that Nancy, a moving professional on this website, has had positive personal experience with it and could comment. You could ask the company whether it could provide you with an in-home estimate and then give you a Binding NTE.

However, all moving companies are extremely busy right now. Would you consider a U-Pack, We-Drive mover like Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net? If so, people have said that they can hook you up with a packing and loading/unloading service and your cost will still be below the cost of a full-service mover. BE also has many positive reviews on this website and the parent company has been in business since 1971. Because they are a freight forwarder and your price is based on the number of feet you use in the van, their quoted price will not change unless you use more feet for some reason.

If you don't have to move for some time, then follow Nancy's advice and come back to us with a few companies (agents of major van lines) you are considering and we'll advise you further.

To repeat: if you're dealing with a Sterling Van Lines, make sure that it's the one in Los Angeles and not the one in Florida. The phone number of the one in Los Angeles is 800-264-6313.

damfino

Postby damfino » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:03 pm

i am leaving LA for the east coast at the end of july, and found agents for North American (andy's xfer), Mayflower (blue chip), allied & atlas (phil's & beverly hills) willing and ready to come to my small 1br apt. I ended up hiring mayflower - as i found them the most thorough (and the only ones with the current rights & responsibilities info). However, all of these guys were professional, and at least to the naked eye, legit. Here's hoping they come through for me.

good luck with your move.

Return to “Open Community”